daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5441
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

I understand that both Bangkok and Metro Manlia have relatively large skylines, but the highrises are too dispersed, looks too messy IMHO. Also for both cities there are really no iconic skyscrapers that stand out in front of the crowd like KL. However i like massive skylines like Tokyo, where buildings are really concentrated.

Two sides of Shanghai

photo by Daniel Cheong

photo by Kevin Xu
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #5442
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySthlm View Post
yup, Singapore, Bangkok and Manila (in no order) have better skylines. KL is too small, they have the tallest with petronas tower but the rest is nothing remarable.
i think u never been in kl,singapore is bigger then kl skyline?are you kidding?if u put singapore side by side kl,its only half tall of kl,beside manila and bangkok is really spreading and like kix said messy and unrecognizable..
whatt remarkable thing about bangkok skyline?
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5443
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Fantastic Shanghai shots.

Best SEA skylines are:
1. Singapore
GAP
2. Bangkok
BIG GAP
3. KL
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #5444
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

As for KL, its ok everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the fact is that once our two 100-storey projects are approved and under construction, hopefully the skyline is able to catch up so ppl won't say there's only Petronas and nothing else.

Another fact is that ppl tend to forget how the Petronas towers tend to overshadow the skyline since they are so dominant.....not forgetting the rest of the skyscrapers are really taller than what you see in the pictures....

Not forgetting the fact that the KL city area population is only less than 2 mil. and the metro area is only breaching 7 million plus.........Population count does play a part in the making and transformation of a skyline....

Bearing all this in mind, I would say KL does have a good skyline for its population...
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #5445
Mehome
Moved

Likes (Received): 1911

for me, best Asian Skyline must be Hongkong! Followed by Shanghai, Shenzhen, Singapore and Chongqing. There are only Singapore in the list which comes from SEA country. imo

but, best SEA skylines are..
1. Singapore
2. Jakarta
3. Manila
4. KL
5. Bangkok

newer pics for Jakarta (originally posted by mkors, VRS and dochan)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #5446
Mehome
Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4 View Post
As for KL, its ok everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but the fact is that once our two 100-storey projects are approved and under construction, hopefully the skyline is able to catch up so ppl won't say there's only Petronas and nothing else.

Another fact is that ppl tend to forget how the Petronas towers tend to overshadow the skyline since they are so dominant.....not forgetting the rest of the skyscrapers are really taller than what you see in the pictures....

Not forgetting the fact that the KL city area population is only less than 2 mil. and the metro area is only breaching 7 million plus.........Population count does play a part in the making and transformation of a skyline....

Bearing all this in mind, I would say KL does have a good skyline for its population...
+1
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #5447
Mehome
Moved

Jakarta pictures (originally posted by ace4, VRS and zorobabel)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

can we put it on the list as one of the best skyscrapers in Asia?

Last edited by Mehome; March 13th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Mehome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #5448
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehome View Post
can we put it on the list of one of the best skyscraper in Asia?
Yes you can, but only in dream
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5449
Mehome
Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
Yes you can, but only in dream
ha ha ha
I hope Indonesian economy to keep growing fast, so we can catch up to fellow Asian tiger economies China, South Korea and Malaysia. So that economy high growth can gain the best momentum for us to build supertall buildings for a show-off
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5450
RaySthlm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 50

some Bangkok skyline shots from flickr (not the whole skyline of Bangkok)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by RaySthlm; March 13th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5451
Mehome
Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySthlm View Post
some Bangkok skyline shots from flickr (not the whole skyline of Bangkok)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
wow stunning!
hmmm i think most of the buildings on bangkok's skyline were built before mid 90s.. just take a look at the style of the buildings.. it's quite a bit old now. I guess property sector in Thailand was booming in 1990s..

In Indonesia, the property sector was booming since 2003, new housing, apartment and shopping center projects emerged. And that's why many glassy and modern buildings were built in Jakarta. But i admit it's less dense (compared to BKK and Tokyo) and there are still a lot of empty spaceto fill.

but overall, that buildings makes the new Jakarta skyline so fresh and i like it
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5452
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
ha ha ha
I hope Indonesian economy to keep growing fast, so we can catch up to fellow Asian tiger economies China, South Korea and Malaysia. So that economy high growth can gain the best momentum for us to build supertall buildings for a show-off
I was only joking and i can't judge and criticise a city that i have never been to. But, i think economy also plays a vital role in creating landscape, cityscape, management and other stuffs too. When you look at Singapore which is a very tiny island but being an important financial centre of Asia it attracts a lot of oversea investors that come to Singapore and build a lot of modern and quality skyscrapers eg Marina Bay Sands, developed by Las Vegas Sands. So as your economy is booming, there will see a lot of projects for skyscrapers and infrastructure
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #5453
RaySthlm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 50

It was a huge building boom in Bangkok during 1989-1997 then came the asian economic crisis and you barely saw any construction at all during 1997-2002. After 2002 it got a lot better and a new building boom started, today it is still going very strong, I think there are over 200-300 highrises/skyscrapers under construction now in Bangkok + other infrastructure projects going on such as extension of subway, skytrain, new highways (like Bangkok need more of those :P) etc, so it changes all the time.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #5454
Mehome
Moved

SO143 RaySthlm

yes, for anyone who remembers the Asian crisis in 1997/98, now we can say we have done well in solving that bloody financial crisis. Strong economic growth and big potential market are our plus, and many economist sees strong growth in South East Asia still continuing for years.

and im pretty sure there are a big chance for Indonesia to make its skyline be better and higher. But it needs more work
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5455
unity
Tionghoa Indonesia

Location: Born in Balikpapan - Raised in Surabaya - Now in Sydney
Likes (Received): 410

Mehome, I really appreciate your effort to show Jakarta's face as our primary gateway to the world, but the truth is we not ready to compete with these "big guy" at the moment. We still need long, long way to go to even standing side by side with our ASEAN counterparts, let alone Asia or even the World...

There are other threads that will fit Jakarta, but we don't belong to any thread that start with "The Best..." yet... At least not now...

Anyway, thanks for all the good comment from our friends here, hopefully we can catching up soon...
Sorry if any of our friend posts that a bit annoying for some of you...
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #5456
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

i think jakarta skyline is nice..i've been there year ago,i think its still top5 best sea skyline along with singapore,kl,bangkok and manila
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #5457
Mehome
Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by unity View Post

Mehome, I really appreciate your effort to show Jakarta's face as our primary gateway to the world, but the truth is we not ready to compete with these "big guy" at the moment. We still need long, long way to go to even standing side by side with our ASEAN counterparts, let alone Asia or even the World...

There are other threads that will fit Jakarta, but we don't belong to any thread that start with "The Best..." yet... At least not now...

Anyway, thanks for all the good comment from our friends here, hopefully we can catching up soon...
Sorry if any of our friend posts that a bit annoying for some of you...
i dont think it would annoy the forumers here, and i really dont mean to annoy people. But i'm sorry if that makes me seem extremely shallow, i made that list just a thought based on my own experience visited those cities. And yes, we cant put Jakarta in the list of the best skyline in Asian, but for SEA level, i think Jakarta is not that bad

(ooppss... i forgot the thread tittle, sorry)

Last edited by Mehome; March 14th, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
Mehome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #5458
frio
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
i dont think it would annoy the forumers here, and i really dont mean to annoy people. But i'm sorry if that makes me seem extremely shallow, i made that list just a thought based on my own experience visited those cities. And yes, we cant put Jakarta in the list of the best skyline in Asian, but for SEA level, i think Jakarta is not that bad

Just keep on posting Jakarta if you feel Jakarta is the best or is one of the best! besides, the BEST skyline, just like beauty, IS, in the eyes of the beholder. that's why there's not one particular city that made it number one in all lists! Thanks for the beautiful set of photos anyway!
frio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #5459
unity
Tionghoa Indonesia

Location: Born in Balikpapan - Raised in Surabaya - Now in Sydney
Likes (Received): 410

Quote:

No, no...
I didn't mean you...
And yes, your photo is great. I was talking about some folks that post a very bad and low quality photo of Jakarta and then talking as if that's the only skyline in the Asia a couple of pages back...

Jakarta skyline is nice of course. But in this context we talk about the best in Asia, don't we?? And it's obvious that we definitely not part of it...
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #5460
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

SINGAPORE
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7088948...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adforce1/5525061649/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7088948...n/photostream/

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam