daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #41
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Definitely Hong Kong. But I also like Shanghai and Tokyo. Singapore's skyline is ok but skyscrapers in the country can only go up to 280 meters. Bangkok's skyline looks interesting especially the building architectures.

But I think in the future, Tokyo will be no.1 if the city plans or builds it's super high-rises like the Millenium Tower
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #42
DARKNIGHT
Dreamin of Dubai

Likes (Received): 1

I would say Hong Kong, closely followed by Shanghai
DARKNIGHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM   #43
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

METROMANILA

ORTIGAS CBD,METROMANILA

MAKATICBD,METROMANILA

MANILACITY,METROMANILA

Last edited by aranetacoliseum; August 12th, 2005 at 11:59 AM.
aranetacoliseum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #44
OREO
Chocolate Sandwich Cookie

Likes (Received): 0

Hong Kong with no doubt
OREO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:15 AM   #45
RFonline

Shanghai
RFonline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #46
cOcO_cHaneL
@#*%!

hongkong
jakarta - even though it's spread out, it's so beautiful cuz taht way we wouldnt get bored by all those tall buildings! esp. at nite..
shanghai
cOcO_cHaneL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #47
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 543

i vote Shanghai
Old September 12th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #48
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

kuala lumpur
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #49
normandb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

1. HK
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Makati CBD (MM)
5. KL
6. Tokyo
7. Shanghai
8. Ortigas CBD (MM)
9. Seoul
10. Manila CBD (MM)
11. Jakarta
12. Mumbai
13. Dubai
14. Taipei
15. Penang

Zefire liked this post
normandb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #50
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo are my top three.

The following four is tougher, as its a close race between Shanghai, Metro Manila, Bangkok and KL.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #51
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbmandy
1. HK
2. Singapore
3. Bangkok
4. Makati CBD (MM)
5. KL
6. Tokyo
7. Shanghai
8. Ortigas CBD (MM)
9. Seoul
10. Manila CBD (MM)
11. Jakarta
12. Mumbai
13. Dubai
14. Taipei
15. Penang
Mine

1. HK
2. Tokyo
3. Singapore
4. Shanghai
5. Metro Manila
6. KL
7. Bangkok
8. Seoul
9. Jakarta
10. Dubai
11. Taipei
12. Penang
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #52
TO_Joe
Curious Traveler

Likes (Received): 1

I nominate Hong Kong or Shanghai as the "best" today -- partly because they are both locked in a race to see who can build the most futuristic-looking and attention-getting skyline.

Manila (Makati) isn't bad in the sense that unlike Hong Kong or Shanghai, it hasn't got that self-conscious artificial (though visually impressive) feel of the other two -- it's more genuine of a big city. Sorry to say, but Manila is also much poorer than Hong Kong -- so given its economic development, it is all the more impressive.

Tokyo should win this in theory but for years they have been afraid of skyscrapers. They are trying to catch up now, with the redevelopment of Shinbashi / Shidome complex as an example, or the outrageously extravagant (and artificial-looking) Odaiba. The towers of Shinjuku are mediocre and unimaginative at best -- a few exceptional gems like the Tokyo Metropolitan Hall aren't enough to make up for the other crappy concrete monstrosities. Tokyo is redeveloping, and the improving economy should help move things forward over the next 10 years, but until then, it will be be disappointing given its wealth and status -- not only of Japan, but as the world's largest city.

Bangkok is certainly a lot more impressive since the last time I visited in the 90s (when the building boom really took off, then faltered and now restarted). But the problem with BKK is that its city planning is reminiscent of Los Angeles -- a cluster here, a stash there -- limited visual appeal and horrendous traffic just to get there (you are seriously better off walking for miles unless you happen to be on the train lines).

Jakarta has got a lot of catching up to do - but it is a function of economic development.

Seoul is not bad -- but given the advanced economic development of Korea, I think it should do better.

Taipei is also disappointing for its economic development and size -- everyone else is in seismic zones and have airports as well, so I am not sure what the excuse is.

Singapore and KL really don't have the scale (the 3 - 4 million or so in each, versus the 10 - 20 million in the other ones), so they come across as dense wannabes.

It will be interesting to see how Mumbai and Delhi try to reinvent themselves -- particularly Mumbai is desperately trying to assert itself as the next Shanghai. But the limited penninsular land, and the massive ownership / displacement / infrastructure problems -- it will be interesting to see how those are overcome. Given the sweeping penninsula of Mumbai jutting out to the Arabian Sea, the views could be incredible.

Last edited by TO_Joe; September 13th, 2005 at 03:50 AM.
TO_Joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #53
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

opps, double post

Last edited by Cliff; September 13th, 2005 at 03:14 AM.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #54
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

Hong Kong
Singapore
Manila
Kuala Lumpur
Shanghai
Dubai
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #55
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

hongkong
shanghai
singapore
manila
seoul
tokyo
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #56
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Hong Kong by light years!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:35 AM   #57
jesarm
مدريد / Мадрид / 马德里

Likes (Received): 9

1 - Hong Kong
2 - Shanghai
3 - Singapore
4 - Seoul
5 - Manila
jesarm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:10 AM   #58
Citi Boi

Wow, Metro-Manila's skyline has gotten impressive over the years.
I especially love the multiple skyline clusters!
Citi Boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #59
jlshyang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe
I nominate Hong Kong or Shanghai as the "best" today -- partly because they are both locked in a race to see who can build the most futuristic-looking and attention-getting skyline.

Manila (Makati) isn't bad in the sense that unlike Hong Kong or Shanghai, it hasn't got that self-conscious artificial (though visually impressive) feel of the other two -- it's more genuine of a big city. Sorry to say, but Manila is also much poorer than Hong Kong -- so given its economic development, it is all the more impressive.

Tokyo should win this in theory but for years they have been afraid of skyscrapers. They are trying to catch up now, with the redevelopment of Shinbashi / Shidome complex as an example, or the outrageously extravagant (and artificial-looking) Odaiba. The towers of Shinjuku are mediocre and unimaginative at best -- a few exceptional gems like the Tokyo Metropolitan Hall aren't enough to make up for the other crappy concrete monstrosities. Tokyo is redeveloping, and the improving economy should help move things forward over the next 10 years, but until then, it will be be disappointing given its wealth and status -- not only of Japan, but as the world's largest city.

Bangkok is certainly a lot more impressive since the last time I visited in the 90s (when the building boom really took off, then faltered and now restarted). But the problem with BKK is that its city planning is reminiscent of Los Angeles -- a cluster here, a stash there -- limited visual appeal and horrendous traffic just to get there (you are seriously better off walking for miles unless you happen to be on the train lines).

Jakarta has got a lot of catching up to do - but it is a function of economic development.

Seoul is not bad -- but given the advanced economic development of Korea, I think it should do better.

Taipei is also disappointing for its economic development and size -- everyone else is in seismic zones and have airports as well, so I am not sure what the excuse is.

Singapore and KL really don't have the scale (the 3 - 4 million or so in each, versus the 10 - 20 million in the other ones), so they come across as dense wannabes.

It will be interesting to see how Mumbai and Delhi try to reinvent themselves -- particularly Mumbai is desperately trying to assert itself as the next Shanghai. But the limited penninsular land, and the massive ownership / displacement / infrastructure problems -- it will be interesting to see how those are overcome. Given the sweeping penninsula of Mumbai jutting out to the Arabian Sea, the views could be incredible.

I like your comments!!
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #60
zeroyon

Im going to give my vote to Hong Kong. New York and Hong Kong are the two "skyscraper capitals of the world", so Hong Kong is the king of skyscraper cities in Asia.

2nd place for me would go to Toyko, and 3rd to Shanghai.
zeroyon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam