daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #581
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Looks like skyscrapers are sprouting up in every part of the city. How about the Sumida Tower, is it gonna be built?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #582
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Looks like skyscrapers are sprouting up in every part of the city. How about the Sumida Tower, is it gonna be built?
Skyscrapers are actually not very common in the Tokyo Bay area. They're clustered, but for a city of 30 million, skyscrapers are quite few in number. However, the urban expanse is enormous, and it stretches as far as the eye can see.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #583
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Skyscrapers are actually not very common in the Tokyo Bay area. They're clustered, but for a city of 30 million, skyscrapers are quite few in number. However, the urban expanse is enormous, and it stretches as far as the eye can see.
Compared to HK yes they're few but compared to other cities they still have a larger no.

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #584
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Compared to HK yes they're few but compared to other cities they still have a larger no.
What are you comparing against? If you're looking at population, then Tokyo has a disproportionately low number of skyscrapers. If you're looking at population density, the same result arises. For a crowded country such as Japan, its cities don't have that many highrises. This is a stark contrast to a much less dense USA, whereby some places are super-dense, such as Midtown New York, while others sprawl out for miles.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 4th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #585
Silicon Francisco
Bay Area purchased.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
San Diego can count cause it's right close to LA and it's population is larger than SF (city).
Anyway, we're talking about best Asian skyline
Really, Asian skylines - but you compared Tokyo and LA sprawl, and when did I mention San Diego?
Pitiful.
Quote:
Does the region need skyscrapers? It looks relatively tall going by your pictures, without skyscrapers it would be a giant, continuous skyline

So which Asian city has the best skyline? Tokyo metro seems to have 3 main skylines, Nishi-shinjuku, Odaiba and Minato Mirai 21 in Yokohama. When I think "Asian" and "skyline", Hong Kong is the only city that comes to mind, but Yokohama and Tokyo have the only true skylines in Asia that I know of in my opinion, as they are relatively clean. (and a CBD for the Shinjuku area!)
My favorite is definately Yokohama.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #586
Tbite
Expert

Quote:
I love thos twin towers
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #587
marblewonder
I ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1

Shanghai's skyline reminds me of a toyland or something lol
Old October 9th, 2006, 04:14 AM   #588
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1337

Makati

Old October 9th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #589
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Francisco View Post
Really, Asian skylines - but you compared Tokyo and LA sprawl, and when did I mention San Diego?
Pitiful.

Does the region need skyscrapers? It looks relatively tall going by your pictures, without skyscrapers it would be a giant, continuous skyline

So which Asian city has the best skyline? Tokyo metro seems to have 3 main skylines, Nishi-shinjuku, Odaiba and Minato Mirai 21 in Yokohama. When I think "Asian" and "skyline", Hong Kong is the only city that comes to mind, but Yokohama and Tokyo have the only true skylines in Asia that I know of in my opinion, as they are relatively clean. (and a CBD for the Shinjuku area!)
My favorite is definately Yokohama.
I was the one who mentioned San Diego. Though San Diego is a separate city, it can still form a mega urban sprawl if you combine it with LA.

Though Tokyo, Yokohama and most Japanese skylines look clean, most of their skyscrapers look uniform. Compred to HK where you have a variety of styles and architecture.

Old October 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #590
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I was the one who mentioned San Diego. Though San Diego is a separate city, it can still form a mega urban sprawl if you combine it with LA.

Though Tokyo, Yokohama and most Japanese skylines look clean, most of their skyscrapers look uniform. Compred to HK where you have a variety of styles and architecture.
Tokyo and Yokohama may not have as many bold architectural statements, but I wouldn't consider their buildings to be uniform at all.

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #591
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Tokyo and Yokohama may not have as many bold architectural statements, but I wouldn't consider their buildings to be uniform at all.
Though we all have our own opinions, the reason why I look at them as uniform because of how most skyscrapers in the city are the futuristic looking box type. Though there are some buildings that look unique like the Cityhall or Docomo buildings.

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #592
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Bkk

Cred: Flickr

Last edited by Jo; October 9th, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
Jo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #593
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Nice shots.

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #594
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Though we all have our own opinions, the reason why I look at them as uniform because of how most skyscrapers in the city are the futuristic looking box type. Though there are some buildings that look unique like the Cityhall or Docomo buildings.
Tokyo is actually very much like Hong Kong because skyscraper development has been clustered around the past 20 years.

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #595
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Tokyo is actually very much like Hong Kong because skyscraper development has been clustered around the past 20 years.
The period of development is the same. But in other aspects like style, architecture, HK has more varieties compared to Tokyo.

Old October 9th, 2006, 07:50 AM   #596
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
The period of development is the same. But in other aspects like style, architecture, HK has more varieties compared to Tokyo.
Actually, Japan, and even Tokyo, has done a far better job preserving its historical heritage than Hong Kong. That may not be visible in the huge skyscrapers, but at the street level, Tokyo shows off the Japanese experience very well.

Tokyo has some bold architectural masterpieces as well. The Fuji-TV building is one of them - quite unique in the world.

Old October 9th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #597
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Actually, Japan, and even Tokyo, has done a far better job preserving its historical heritage than Hong Kong. That may not be visible in the huge skyscrapers, but at the street level, Tokyo shows off the Japanese experience very well.

Tokyo has some bold architectural masterpieces as well. The Fuji-TV building is one of them - quite unique in the world.
To some extent, HK shares some experience as well and there are some historical buildings that has been preserved.

Old October 9th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #598
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
To some extent, HK shares some experience as well and there are some historical buildings that has been preserved.
The context is much different. Tokyo was bombed to the ground during WW2, and while the historical elements of the architecture have pretty much disappeared because of it, the cultural elements remained. The street scenes in Tokyo are fairly unique (and that of most Japanese cities), which are dominated by midrises separated by small alleys.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong has demolished a lot of old architecture over the years at will, and have installed a more homogeneous Western-style replacement. Only now are people starting to be more vocal about preserving the more traditional Chinese-style tenement and its interaction with the street.

Due to earthquake concerns, there have not been too many skyscraper developments in Tokyo relative to its population. However, there have been some bold projects, albeit not always at the supertall level. This is why for Tokyo, the skyline view alone is quite deceiving to its futurism.

Old October 10th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #599
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The context is much different. Tokyo was bombed to the ground during WW2, and while the historical elements of the architecture have pretty much disappeared because of it, the cultural elements remained. The street scenes in Tokyo are fairly unique (and that of most Japanese cities), which are dominated by midrises separated by small alleys.

Meanwhile, Hong Kong has demolished a lot of old architecture over the years at will, and have installed a more homogeneous Western-style replacement. Only now are people starting to be more vocal about preserving the more traditional Chinese-style tenement and its interaction with the street.

Due to earthquake concerns, there have not been too many skyscraper developments in Tokyo relative to its population. However, there have been some bold projects, albeit not always at the supertall level. This is why for Tokyo, the skyline view alone is quite deceiving to its futurism.
But aren't HK streets unique as well. What other city where you can find neon signs hanging out even over roads. These aren't even allowed in other cities.

I think the traditional Chinese-style tenement should be preserved even if it's the exterior. The insides can be renovated to improve conditions. But some are redesigned like The Blue House in Wan Chai.

Old October 10th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #600
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
But aren't HK streets unique as well. What other city where you can find neon signs hanging out even over roads. These aren't even allowed in other cities.

I think the traditional Chinese-style tenement should be preserved even if it's the exterior. The insides can be renovated to improve conditions. But some are redesigned like The Blue House in Wan Chai.
Tokyo, Taipei, Seoul, and Shanghai all have neon signs hanging above their streets, but they follow different patterns.

There have been a lot of struggles with renovating the old Chinese-style tenements on HK Island. Wan Chai is preserving a few as part of the Johnston Road redevelopment, but Wedding Card Street will have to go. Meanwhile, many of the older tenements in the Sheung Wan and Western areas are also going to be redeveloped.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam