daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM   #781
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedang View Post
where is BKK city center??.. i mean the main CBD.
I think BKK's main CBD is Silom

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:40 AM   #782
Skyprince
Asian boi

If you divide the number of supertalls in both Dubai and HK by its populations I think Dubai wins.

In Dubai there is no very dirty, old, dilapidating buildings like in Hong Kong.

I am more impressed with Dubai compared to HK.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM   #783
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I just returned from HK. HK has many gleaming and shining supertalls but in the same time it has sooo many dirty, old, shabby third-world buildings. Airport to Macau Ferry Terminal bus-ride gives you a great impression of HK, but Try to get to area around Tsim Cha Tsui MRT station or Kowloon MRT station and you will be surprised on how things mess up with dirty and smelly streets !
You mean MTR Alot of areas in Kowloon may have these conditions but at least it's cleaner compared to other Asian cities.

Quote:
Comparisons between HK and KL

Airport: I love HKIA very much ! Soo many shops, very quiet, professional staff, very high-tech with convenient internet and phone access. I personally think KLIA has better design than HKIA but the service in HKIA is much better.
HK > KL
The design between HKIA and KLIA is debatable since both are impressive.

Quote:
Public transportation: Octopus card is very convenient ! HK has good MRT system, but its not extensive given its huge population of around 7 million. There are only 2 or 3 stations on HK Island !! Bus service is good .However, public transport in HK is very very expensive. KL also has the same transportation standards like HK, especially since the formation of Rapid KL integrated system which combined both bus and rail service under same management. But given KL`s small 1.5 million population with rail coverage similar to HK ( although you need to walk a long step to transfer into another line ) , KL wins hands down. Price is extremely cheap. For only RM 2 ( HKD 4 ) you can get to everywhere in KL by bus for the whole day !

KL> HK
Are you serious? MTR has several stations in HK Island unless you're talking about connecting stations. Besides the MTR, there's also the KCR which connects the city centre with the new towns in The New Territories. HK has a good bus system. Yes they may be more expensive compared to KL but it's also because the average salary in HK is higher than KL.

Quote:
Skyscraper density : HK > KL
True to dat since more than 50% of HK's buildings are high-rises. Though the Petronas is taller than the 2-IFC

Quote:
Overall quality of life: KL > HK
HK has one of the highest quality of life in Asia. It can be debatable since both cities have their luxuries and poverties.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #784
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
If you divide the number of supertalls in both Dubai and HK by its populations I think Dubai wins.

In Dubai there is no very dirty, old, dilapidating buildings like in Hong Kong.

I am more impressed with Dubai compared to HK.
As for now, HK has more supertalls than Dubai but in the future, Dubai may surpass HK and any other city. But you may not what happens happening in the drawing board. There might be several supertalls planned for HK that we don't even know.

The only thing I'm impressed with Dubai is the construction, projects and developments. But if we're talking about culture, nightlife, vibrancy, etc. definity HK!

Old November 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM   #785
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

dubai is amazing, i just curious who invest those supertalls in dubai?
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #786
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
dubai is amazing, i just curious who invest those supertalls in dubai?
Probably The Shiek

But I think the reason why Dubai is building too many supertalls is party to put the city on the map and make it a global city and a regional hub for the Middle East

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #787
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Undeniable in terms of skyscrapers and skyline, dubai, hongkong and shanghai will be fighting all out for the Asian crown, I believe these cities represent more than 50% of the greatest skyscrapers in Asia right now. In terms of construction, they are all unstoppable!!! One thing for sure, they have a Big Big economy to support their urban growth.

I would love to discuss other asian skyline besides these 3 cities. I think they are many Chinese cities that have fantastic skyline that are comparable with other Asian cities!

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #788
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
Undeniable in terms of skyscrapers and skyline, dubai, hongkong and shanghai will be fighting all out for the Asian crown, I believe these cities represent more than 50% of the greatest skyscrapers in Asia right now. In terms of construction, they are all unstoppable!!! One thing for sure, they have a Big Big economy to support their urban growth.

I would love to discuss other asian skyline besides these 3 cities. I think they are many Chinese cities that have fantastic skyline that are comparable with other Asian cities!
That will be in the future but for now, HK wins the crown

Also, we might see Tokyo in the competition once if their Millenium Towers and their X-Seeds become in full effect.

But when I look at it, this might be the outcome

Height
1) Dubai
2) Shanghai
3) Hong Kong

Density / Quantity
1) Hong Kong
2) Shanghai
3) Dubai

Presentation
1) Hong Kong
2) Shanghai
3) Dubai

Collection
1) Hong Kong
2) Dubai
3) Shanghai

Overall
1) Hong Kong
2) Shanghai
3) Dubai

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:11 PM   #789
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Dubai's aspirations are not only being showcased by the highrise and lowrise projects, but also in their aggressive spending abroad, especially in the airline and ports sectors. Their ports strategy even caused backlash in the US government that resulted in an unhappy divesture of the American operations.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM   #790
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post

Dubai is a huge project under construction, which is somewhat like what Hong Kong was in the early 1990s during the property boom. It will take some time for Dubai to complete its skyline. There are a lot of projects, but it takes time for everything to come together. Hong Kong took some time after the projects came out to develop its skyline, and Shanghai is going through the same process right now. Shanghai also experienced very rapid growth to the point where the city had to intervene and stop construction of tall buildings as the city was sinking. However, I think Dubai's growth rate is unprecedented, much faster than either Hong Kong or Shanghai.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:30 PM   #791
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

I don't mind some dirty buildings at all, vibrancy is a lot more important. If 'supercities' like HK and NYC didn't have their gritty parts they would be a lot less interesting IMO
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM   #792
oliver999
starwar

I'D LIKE to compare KL and SHANGHAI by satellite picture.

KL

SH puxi district

Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:16 PM   #793
haze

Likes (Received): 9

shanghai look like desert n dead land i still prefer KL, its more green n good for live

Last edited by haze; November 23rd, 2006 at 03:27 PM.
haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #794
oliver999
starwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze View Post
shanghai look like desert n dead land i still prefer KL, its more green n good for live
maybe, but KL has nice natural condition----near the mountain, shanghai also has many parks
continue desert:

Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM   #795
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
There are only 2 or 3 stations on HK Island !!
That's the worst MTR joke I suppose.

Kennedy Town | University | Sai Ying Pun | Sheung Wan | Central / Hong Kong | Admiralty | Wan Chai | Causeway Bay | Tin Hau | Fortress Hill | North Point | Quarry Bay | Tai Koo | Sai Wan Ho | Shau Kei Wan | Heng Fa Chuen | Chai Wan
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #796
paradyto
entendre privilege

Great Shanghai!
paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #797
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo View Post
I don't mind some dirty buildings at all, vibrancy is a lot more important. If 'supercities' like HK and NYC didn't have their gritty parts they would be a lot less interesting IMO
HK is only a supercity skyline wise but it's not even considered a megalopolis.

That's what I like about HK's skyline. You have your iconic office towers as well as gritty high-rise tenements and housing estates.

Every city will have their nice buildings and bad ones. London and Paris are surrounded by housing estate and tower blocks but are still one of the most beautiful cities.

Old November 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #798
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

awesome
Old November 24th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #799
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

BTW is that pic of Shanghai with snow for real? I have never seen the city with snow before.

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #800
oliver999
starwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
BTW is that pic of Shanghai with snow for real? I have never seen the city with snow before.
i live near shanghai (150 KM west north of shanghai)
i am 28, when i was child, snow is very normal in winter, the river or pool sometimes ice coverd, adults can walk on the surface of small river or pool. but nowadays, it's only about 2 snows a year, and cant walk on the ice.
shanghai is very similar climate . shanghai's winter is very chilly, because it's moistry cold. some people from north cant bear the shanghai moistry cold, that seems cold to bones.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam