daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM   #8381
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Singapore has a far better Skyline than KL and even Tokyo I think , it's underrating Singapore placing it behind Seoul and in the same category with Bangkok !

WingWing liked this post
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2014, 06:26 PM   #8382
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6740

True enough cos Singapore has one of the most distinctive look skyline in world, even though Singapore doesnt have supertall but almost all the tall buildings are concentrated into the CBD. Moreover the three tallest that share the same height make as if Singapore does have Supertalls.

I think I like KL skyline probably due to the twin tower. Actually KL are in the same league as SG. But just that I prefer SG skyline more as it shows modern feel.

Bangkok have pretty big skyline however their buildings are not concentrated and even though they have more 150m above skyscrapers than SG but its too spread out that makes the skyline less impressive. Moreover Bangkok doesnt have distinctive look as the Baiyoke doesnt look attractive to me.

Tokyo does amaze me on the low rise density BUT I am disappointed with the skyline. If you take pic in the day, you would onle see concretes and grey skyline. Very unattractive. And. I would put Tokyo behind Bangkok.

Manila and Jakarta do have similarities but just that Manila skyline are better organized. Jakarta need more density while Manila need signature/landmark tower. Both cities are on same par for me and probably score better than Tokyo

Jack Fruit liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #8383
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Tokyo does amaze me on the low rise density BUT I am disappointed with the skyline. If you take pic in the day, you would onle see concretes and grey skyline. Very unattractive. And. I would put Tokyo behind Bangkok.

Manila and Jakarta do have similarities but just that Manila skyline are better organized. Jakarta need more density while Manila need signature/landmark tower. Both cities are on same par for me and probably score better than Tokyo
IMO , Tokyo has one of the best skylines in the world , in the TOP 10 , it's true that Tokyo doesn't have fantastic supertalls with light games at night just like HK or NYC , but it has a huge amount of highrises and has a decent amount of skyscrapers , more than the actually booming cities and even more than cities like Chicago , Toronto or Singapore , that doesn't mean that Tokyo has a better skyline than those cities but I think it's quite significant ..

It's true that the majority of the buildings in Tokyo are grey or blue but you could say the same thing for HK for example and even Manhattan !

What people should know about Tokyo is that this city has many centers and CBD's wich make the Skyline spread out and not compact , and I think that's a plus for the skyline as I'm not a fan of the cities tha have one ultra dense CBD surrounded by lowrises !

WingWing liked this post
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:19 PM   #8384
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 1711

Manila,Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 state View Post

by Jc Saquido
Tokyo/Manila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:33 AM   #8385
Dean_14

Likes (Received): 967

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
True enough cos Singapore has one of the most distinctive look skyline in world, even though Singapore doesnt have supertall but almost all the tall buildings are concentrated into the CBD. Moreover the three tallest that share the same height make as if Singapore does have Supertalls.

I think I like KL skyline probably due to the twin tower. Actually KL are in the same league as SG. But just that I prefer SG skyline more as it shows modern feel.

Bangkok have pretty big skyline however their buildings are not concentrated and even though they have more 150m above skyscrapers than SG but its too spread out that makes the skyline less impressive. Moreover Bangkok doesnt have distinctive look as the Baiyoke doesnt look attractive to me.

jakarta has better quality of tall building, lot of glassy offces, hotel while manila has a better city planning, well-organized skyline to me.
Dean_14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:22 PM   #8386
Festival
LIFE

Likes (Received): 2498

B A N G K O K

https://www.flickr.com/photos/exposu...00395/sizes/h/

little universe liked this post

Last edited by Festival; June 24th, 2014 at 12:12 AM.
Festival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #8387
kevo123
Indonesia

Likes (Received): 21216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_14 View Post
jakarta has better quality of tall building, lot of glassy offces, hotel while manila has a better city planning, well-organized skyline to me.
Well i must say i agree, Manila have organized planned CBD city that contrast its cityscape with its surrounding, but formed nicely looking cluster. The building of Makati however or rather dull since most are built in the 80-90s, Bonifacio looks rather "fresher" in a sense but still lack the "wow" factor.

Jakarta on the other hand boomed later than Metro Manila, the buildings are newer, glassy, modern and appealing. But the skyscrapers are scattered throughout the city, the main golden triangle that has the highest concentration of offices are actually 3 lane of major avenue that surrounds urbanized villages (and also surrounded by them). The skyline can look either good and weird depending on the angle, but the building helps.

Architecture of Indonesia || Vernacular Architecture of Indonesia || Dutch Tropical Colonial Architecture of Indonesia ||

djole13, WingWing liked this post
kevo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #8388
lukahead6
lukahead6

Likes (Received): 262

I think its important to realise that to put a city in the top 10 list is really a testament to the grandeur of the skyline itself. I searched this figure up, there are 460 cities with over a million people. Over a thousand with 500,000 people. Any city of this size is bound to have some sort of impressive CBD or core, to the average rural person.

So if a city appears in the top 10, that puts it ahead of thousands upon thousands of urban settings, it puts it above 460 other cities inhabiting 1 million people or more. Think about that. If your city is studying for an exam, and makes it to the top 10, they'd be scoring around 98 percent. Top 20, they'd be scoring 95 percent or above... Let that sink in! Just because your city does not make it in the top 10, and perhaps make it in the top 50, still scores you a 90 percent on your test, a score all of us would be proud of So chill! Top 10 is really for the prodigies, the students who not only work hard, but have talent. Cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, and New York are basically the trio that fights for the best student award. Each good in their own subjects. You have Chicago, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, that pretty much follow after, and then the Dubai, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Moscow, Bangkok, Toronto, Chongqing, Tokyo, Manila, Jakarta, Miami, Doha, Saigon, Panama City, Seoul, Tianjin, Mumbai, Wuxi, Suzhou, Beijing, all being the high honours students. If a city is in this group, it really is world class...

As far as asian skylines go,
My top 10 would be:
1. Shanghai
2. Hong Kong
3. Guangzhou
4. Shenzhen
5. Singapore
6. Dubai
7. Chongqing
8. Kuala Lumpur
9. Tokyo
10. Bangkok

With the best asian skylines 10 years from now being:
1. Shenzhen
2. Shanghai
3. Guangzhou
4. Hong Kong
5. Dubai
6. Jakarta
7. Mumbai
8. Kuala Lumpur
9. Tianjin
10. Singapore
Old June 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #8389
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

Tokyo, Japan

DSC03458 by いわいわさん, on Flickr

新宿高層ビル群 | Nishi-Shinjuku buildings by Iyhon Chiu, on Flickr

little universe, KlausDiggy liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #8390
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2413

DUBAI...FOREVER

KlausDiggy, exxzite, FirzDaurens_ liked this post
firoz bharmal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #8391
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Metro Manila, Philippines
A young and growing city... a city that has not yet reach its full potential ... but in the future lets see....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mari View Post
From Knightbridge.

06|07|2014

Josian Dinero

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by Tokyo/Manila; June 25th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #8392
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Metro Manila Philippines

"A Mega city which is composed of 16 cities and 1 municipality.."

Quote:

KlausDiggy liked this post

Last edited by Tokyo/Manila; June 25th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #8393
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Makati Center CBD, Metro Manila Philippines
Quote:

by Kit Agad

an old photo
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #8394
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Ortigas Center CBD, Metro Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mari View Post
From Antipolo...

Kenneth Paige
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #8395
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

BGC Center CBD,Metro Manila Philippines

[/URL]
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #8396
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Muntinlupa CBD, Metro Manila Philippines

One of the youngest rising CBD's of Metro Manila , Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by [dx] View Post
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #8397
WingWing

Show me your best asian skyline
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #8398
WingWing

Marina Bay by kinnith93, on Flickr

Cityscape View from the Link Bridge at Singapore Sports Hub by williamcho, on Flickr

City Gallery by LINYIHAN, on Flickr

CotOnFire by draken413o, on Flickr
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #8399
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4300

KUALA LUMPUR

by PaulReiffer
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #8400
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55289

HK

https://www.flickr.com/photos/400003...4/in/contacts/

little universe, FirzDaurens_ liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam