daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #8681
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoplas View Post
neither guangzhou nor shenzhen have way above 1000 100+ buildings.
my data of 100+ towers of these three cities is already a few months old but since tokyo skyline isn't really growing slower than the two chinese cities the difference in the numbers should be pretty much the same right now. my data on 150+ buildings is exact and new but could be +3/-3 different since data of asian cities is not always 100% right. blame the governmenmts or whoever counts the buildings for this. with tokyo i'm only talking about the 23 wards right now so yokohama, kawasaki, saitama, chiba and the other smaller cities are all excluded. unfortunately i don't have any data of tokyo metropolitan area and manually calculating would take lots of time. tv towers and the like are included in all numbers of all cities.

guangzhou has 112 completed 150+ buildings right now, shenzhen 105 and tokyo (23 wards) 133.

guangzhou has 295 completed 100+ buildings, shenzhen 235 and tokyo (23 wards) 556.

those thousands of residential towers in guangzhou and shenzhen are mostly between 60 and 100 meters tall. only a few of them reach to 100 meters ore more. personally i like all three cities. shenzhen more than guangzhou though since parts of my family were born there
Emporis Data?
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #8682
little universe
A Living Sculpture

Beijing Wangjing New Area Skyline - 北京 望京新城天际线
Wangjing New Area, Chaoyang District, NE Beijing

Wangjing Subdistrict, Beijing [2048x1365] by Qiao Liang by godfrieddaniels, on Flickr

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

kevo123 liked this post
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #8683
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

honestly i don't agree with chongqing skyline being as great as tokyos! they are on a whole different level. there's also one thing that i don't really understand. some people are saying tokyo would be too gray so it wouldn't be a great skyline but in the same time they say chinese cities like chongquing would be better. chinese cities. like chongquing. tokyo too grey. for real?? looking at the thousands of chinese grey or brown residential mid-rises this kinda looks like a joke to me. well whatever...
about the elevators - don't ask me i have no idea about that. and no my data on the chinese cities wasn't from emporis. emporis and chinese cities are like sushi and ketchup.

redcode liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #8684
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6737

Based on ur claim, tokyo will be number 2 after shanghai right? What about hk?

DannyFangles liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #8685
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4294

KUALA LUMPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post

FirzDaurens_ liked this post
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #8686
Festival
LIFE

Likes (Received): 2498

BANGKOK THAILAND

https://www.flickr.com/photos/was-fu...493358/sizes/l

https://www.flickr.com/photos/boonle...h/14640345010/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eldars...38071/sizes/l/

Last edited by Festival; September 16th, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Festival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8687
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Quote:
honestly i don't agree with chongqing skyline being as great as tokyos! they are on a whole different level. there's also one thing that i don't really understand. some people are saying tokyo would be too gray so it wouldn't be a great skyline but in the same time they say chinese cities like chongquing would be better. chinese cities. like chongquing. tokyo too grey. for real?? looking at the thousands of chinese grey or brown residential mid-rises this kinda looks like a joke to me. well whatever...
about the elevators - don't ask me i have no idea about that. and no my data on the chinese cities wasn't from emporis. emporis and chinese cities are like sushi and ketchup.
what was your source then? and as far as i know, no foreign source is accurate when it comes to chinese cities.
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #8688
Xenoplas

Quote:
Based on ur claim, tokyo will be number 2 after shanghai right? What about hk?
just read what i wrote i wrote if we'd ignore the number of supertalls i'd even put it on 2 TOGETHER with Shanghai. that means same place. and since we aren't ignoring them tokyo is 3rd. that's what i wrote. hk is obviously nr.1 - i think there's no need to discuss that.

edit: just to make sure there's no more misunderstanding my ranking right now would be
1.hk
2.shanghai
3.tokyo
4.shenzhen, sgp, chongqing, kl
5.guangzhou, beijing, manila, bangkok
6.jakarta, taipeh, seoul, osaka, busan
i don't count u/c buildings cause then the list would be a little different.

Last edited by Xenoplas; September 16th, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM   #8689
Xenoplas

i used various sources. i went through all the whole 150+ lists and compared every building. since the 100+ lists would have taken too much time i simply searched the internet until i had 10 lists to compare - that's where my complex system comes in. tokyo had one source more because emporis is pretty accurate about japan. a little behind though. as i wrote before emporis is almost completely useless for chinese cities. i only used it when one of the lists didn't have exact height or so of a building. for the 100+ lists i at first subtracted the number of 150+ buildings and controlled the 155-145m part on wether any buildings had a different number since that would mean that one list has more buildings than the other. then i controlled the other end of the list the 97-103 part. then i compared on a sample basis the buildings 90-100 to ensure that there weren't any mistakes. after that i compared the first 20 of each side of each list by names. for the buildings between those i used a sample basis system again and skimmed through every list again just in case. then i summed up everthing again and that are those numbers. my last step was that i compared buildings that weren't in the list with buildings in the list with various photos from different angles since those lists all probably aren't exact - that's of course not an exact method either but it helped ensuring the accuracy of the lists. as i wrote before those numbers can differ a bit in reality but since i used that many different lists and methods i'm sure that it's pretty much exact. probably 3 to 10 more 100+ buildings in each chinese city and 1 or 2 more in tokyo but nothing big.
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #8690
WingWing

Rather than looking at the data its better to look which one attract ur attention more when u look at their skyline.
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #8691
Xenoplas

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Rather than looking at the data its better to look which one attract ur attention more when u look at their skyline.
i agree with that too tokyo looks great and never gets boring and that's why i like it not because of the numbers.

apart from that i generally think it's hard making a ranking because all these cities have their own sole and their own aspects. my top three won't change for now though. but it's great to see so many impressive skylines in asia, isn't it?

Last edited by Xenoplas; September 16th, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #8692
Xenoplas

Osaka
DSC02490 by tablexxnx, on Flickr
Abeno Harukas at dusk by kramertron, on Flickr
Osaka from Abeno Harukas 300 by Duke.of.arcH, on Flickr
A night image of Festival Tower by Voigtlander999, on Flickr

redcode, Aceventura liked this post
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #8693
Xenoplas

Shanghai
grey sky over Shanghai by Rob-Shanghai, on Flickr
Hund, River and Shanghai by Tony Shi., on Flickr
IMG_9230.JPG by Shanghai Air, on Flickr
Shanghai, a vertical city by Tony Shi., on Flickr

redcode, Aceventura, firoz bharmal liked this post

Last edited by Xenoplas; September 16th, 2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #8694
timothypublicedu

Likes (Received): 10

Wonder if Tokyo's 150+*150m+ are for 150m-200m only or any builds above 150m?

Quote:
i used various sources. i went through all the whole 150+ lists and compared every building. since the 100+ lists would have taken too much time i simply searched the internet until i had 10 lists to compare - that's where my complex system comes in. tokyo had one source more because emporis is pretty accurate about japan. a little behind though. as i wrote before emporis is almost completely useless for chinese cities. i only used it when one of the lists didn't have exact height or so of a building. for the 100+ lists i at first subtracted the number of 150+ buildings and controlled the 155-145m part on wether any buildings had a different number since that would mean that one list has more buildings than the other. then i controlled the other end of the list the 97-103 part. then i compared on a sample basis the buildings 90-100 to ensure that there weren't any mistakes. after that i compared the first 20 of each side of each list by names. for the buildings between those i used a sample basis system again and skimmed through every list again just in case. then i summed up everthing again and that are those numbers. my last step was that i compared buildings that weren't in the list with buildings in the list with various photos from different angles since those lists all probably aren't exact - that's of course not an exact method either but it helped ensuring the accuracy of the lists. as i wrote before those numbers can differ a bit in reality but since i used that many different lists and methods i'm sure that it's pretty much exact. probably 3 to 10 more 100+ buildings in each chinese city and 1 or 2 more in tokyo but nothing big.
timothypublicedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #8695
timothypublicedu

Likes (Received): 10

Also wonder if your stats include the 30+ *150m Jiazhaoye development in Guanwai Shenzhen?

Quote:
timothypublicedu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #8696
Xenoplas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothypublicedu View Post
Wonder if Tokyo's 150+*150m+ are for 150m-200m only or any builds above 150m?
sorry but i don't really get the question. if you want to know wether tokyos 150+ are only the buildings between 150 and 200 or everything above 150 then of course verything above 150. the same with shenzhen and guangzhou.
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #8697
Xenoplas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothypublicedu View Post
Also wonder if your stats include the 30+ *150m Jiazhaoye development in Guanwai Shenzhen?
sorry but i have again no idea what you're talking about. the only guanwai i know is somewhere in the east. do you mean qianhai? or guangming? or where you probably talking about guanlan? please give me the names in hanzi if you don't know how to spell them.

if you're really talking about the big project in qianhai then i have to remind you that i wrote 'all completed towers'. buildings u/c, plan or pro are NOT counted.
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #8698
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

Shanghai,more highrises than Hong Kong

WingWing, saiho liked this post

Last edited by lowenmeister; September 17th, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #8699
WingWing

Singapore

Indistinct by Scintt, on Flickr

The Glass Menhir by night86mare, on Flickr

Everglow by night86mare, on Flickr

and this is video driving in Singapore with Lamborghini
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdW2_nPJ_S4

Last edited by WingWing; September 17th, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #8700
saiho

Likes (Received): 1206

Quote:
neither guangzhou nor shenzhen have way above 1000 100+ buildings.
yes they do

isaidso and the other forumers complied this count. @# of 100m+ Buildings Completed, U/C, Proposed

Quote:
Hong Kong 2,360
Shanghai 869**
Shenzhen 862**
New York 843
Manila 630
Tokyo 549
Bangkok 527
Toronto 412
Guangzhou 387**
Chicago 335

Dubai 331
Kuala Lumpur 257
Seoul 256
Jakarta 241
Singapore 233
Mumbai 220
Miami 191
Panama City 188
Istanbul 181
Sao Paulo 173
Moscow 155
Melbourne, Sydney 150
Osaka 143
Mexico City 137
Houston 112
London 107
Los Angeles 104
San Francisco, Tel Aviv 100
Atlanta, Paris 88
Calgary 84
Buenos Aires 83
FYI double asterisk means possibly undercounted.

Quote:
my data of 100+ towers of these three cities is already a few months old but since tokyo skyline isn't really growing slower than the two chinese cities the difference in the numbers should be pretty much the same right now.
They totally are growing faster than Tokyo. Shenzhen alone has over 100 +200m buildings U/C or Prep.

Quote:
guangzhou has 112 completed 150+ buildings right now, shenzhen 105 and tokyo (23 wards) 133.

guangzhou has 295 completed 100+ buildings, shenzhen 235 and tokyo (23 wards) 556.
see top

Quote:
those thousands of residential towers in guangzhou and shenzhen are mostly between 60 and 100 meters tall. only a few of them reach to 100 meters ore more. personally i like all three cities. shenzhen more than guangzhou though since parts of my family were born there
Correction. Thousands of residential towers in Guangzhou and Shenzhen are mostly between 80 and 130 meters tall. It's extremely typical in China to build apartments over 30 stories tall. Take a look at all the Shenzhen and Guangzhou pictures that are posted. Guangzhou is a sea of 30+story buildings; Shenzhen an ocean. Unlike Tokyo where almost everything floats under 15 stories. Don't believe me? See all the pictures of Shenzhen, Tokyo and Guangzhou on this thread and the Best Chinese Skyline thread and tell me that's not exactly what I described.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam