daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #901
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2584

That's a nice Makati shot

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #902
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

I've been thinking about the criteria to judge since i first came in touch with all these polls about the best skylines... It's actually very easy for me now. If by one look at the skyline and you go "WOW!" or "OMG" and that your heart is touched, then it is a handsome skyline. Based on that, my list (in order) goes like this -
1) Hong Kong
2) Singapore
3) KL
4) Shenzhen
5) Ho Chi Minh City

Thats my list, nothing to do with the density, number of skyscrapers, prominence. Just back to the basic & simple wow effect.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #903
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17837

I think density, number, and prominence do play a part in the WOW factor. Perhaps it's more subconscious.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #904
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Perhaps. But it's tiring to go on counting the number of buildings, adding up their heights, and to consider their popularity etc. Like how some would say city A is better because it is denser (by figure) or city B is better because it has xx number of buildings taller than 200m etc...

It is better to be straight-forward and choose the skylines that touch your heart instantly.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #905
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
I've been thinking about the criteria to judge since i first came in touch with all these polls about the best skylines... It's actually very easy for me now. If by one look at the skyline and you go "WOW!" or "OMG" and that your heart is touched, then it is a handsome skyline. Based on that, my list (in order) goes like this -
1) Hong Kong
2) Singapore
3) KL
4) Shenzhen
5) Ho Chi Minh City

Thats my list, nothing to do with the density, number of skyscrapers, prominence. Just back to the basic & simple wow effect.
It's pretty interesting that you put Ho Chi Minh City in your top 5. I mean there are alot of Asian cities that have a more striking skyline.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #906
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

I find HCM to be very charming. I can't explain it. But I find the colours of HCM add a very different taste to its skyline.

Old December 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #907
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Perhaps. But it's tiring to go on counting the number of buildings, adding up their heights, and to consider their popularity etc. Like how some would say city A is better because it is denser (by figure) or city B is better because it has xx number of buildings taller than 200m etc...

It is better to be straight-forward and choose the skylines that touch your heart instantly.
You don't need to count the buildings when there are so many they form a nice linear image. The eyes catch the heights and form quite easily, and it's very easy to spot out of place buildings, very tall buildings, and large masses of buildings put together. Then there are other vantage points that give more perspective over what all these arrangements mean.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #908
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

MANILA!!!! philippines

THE MOST PRESTIGOUS and MAGNIFICENT pics. OF MAKATI CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakatiBoy View Post
Makati Pictures by Parc Cruz

Old December 9th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #909
steve_skyline

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
The best city skyline in terms of QUANTITY is Hong Kong

In terms of QUALITY it`s Dubai, Abu Dhabi or any Japanese cities.

Because many many many buildings in Hong Kong are very dirty and depressing

IMHO Overall I think Dubai is far better place to live compared to Hong Kong.

WANCH, awak kena tahu, penduduk Hong Kong 4 kali lebih besar dari KL , jadi HK dan KL tak boleh dibuat perbandingan !
Klang Valley itself have more than 5mil pop
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #910
steve_skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I just returned from HK. HK has many gleaming and shining supertalls but in the same time it has sooo many dirty, old, shabby third-world buildings. Airport to Macau Ferry Terminal bus-ride gives you a great impression of HK, but Try to get to area around Tsim Cha Tsui MRT station or Kowloon MRT station and you will be surprised on how things mess up with dirty and smelly streets !

Comparisons between HK and KL

Airport: I love HKIA very much ! Soo many shops, very quiet, professional staff, very high-tech with convenient internet and phone access. I personally think KLIA has better design than HKIA but the service in HKIA is much better.
HK > KL

Public transportation: Octopus card is very convenient ! HK has good MRT system, but its not extensive given its huge population of around 7 million. There are only 2 or 3 stations on HK Island !! Bus service is good .However, public transport in HK is very very expensive. KL also has the same transportation standards like HK, especially since the formation of Rapid KL integrated system which combined both bus and rail service under same management. But given KL`s small 1.5 million population with rail coverage similar to HK ( although you need to walk a long step to transfer into another line ) , KL wins hands down. Price is extremely cheap. For only RM 2 ( HKD 4 ) you can get to everywhere in KL by bus for the whole day !

KL> HK

Skyscraper density : HK > KL

Overall quality of life: KL > HK
Some LRT interchange in KL are sucks maybe because of the diff company operate, need to walk 5-10 mins for it. The KLCC station is dirty, ppl just simply throw the handouts/pamphets on the floor. The pudu bus station in KL even worst, so hot, polluted and extemely dirty.

Last edited by steve_skyline; December 9th, 2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #911
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Likes (Received): 0

If you see how he describes HK in his previous posts, "mess up", "slum", "smelly", "dirty", "poverty" and same shit recyles and keep on attacking HK. Maybe a HK man takes his girlfriend so he can generate such hatred in every post to demonise HK.
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #912
paradyto
entendre privilege

HK still the best
paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #913
FrancisXavier
long live...

Likes (Received): 4

Nice Makati pics...
FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #914
steve_skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_skyline View Post
Some LRT interchange in KL are sucks maybe because of the diff company operate, need to walk 5-10 mins for it. The KLCC station is dirty, ppl just simply throw the handouts/pamphets on the floor. The pudu bus station in KL even worst, so hot, polluted and extemely dirty.
Seems like my words a bit harsh, KL still my favourite city along with Penang in M'sia. Nice food, affordable bargain and great skylines.

Last edited by steve_skyline; December 10th, 2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #915
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

No worries Sometimes constructive criticism is needed to get the city moving... If everyone think their city to be the best and not accepting the negative facts, then thats blind patriotism.

I must agree with you that the lack of integration for KL's public transport has become a major obstacle of why only 11% of the population uses public transport. And yes, salespersons give out flyers everywhere and yeah people throw them everywhere even near the rubbish bins and not in them. I'm sure most KLites agree with you that Puduraya is a disgrace not only to KL but to the whole Malaysian. The station is very outdated and its standard is by far not what a city like KL should have.

IMO only when these problems are properly addressed and attended to, then can KL make another leap to be world-class. Having been to HK, despite being messy, its public transport, entertainment, vibrancy, civil services, etc can put KL to shame.

Old December 10th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #916
Chicago_Skyline
BANNED

HK is without doubt current best asian skyline, follow by Singapore, KL, Metro Manila, Seoul and Tokyo!
Chicago_Skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #917
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

HK is the best!

followed by shanghai,KL,manila,singapore,seoul and tokyo
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #918
Skyprince
Asian boi

Hong Kong, without doubt !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #919
Skyprince
Asian boi

Quote:
Klang Valley itself have more than 5mil pop
But Klang Valley has huge land area, therefore it doesnt need scrapers like HK

Quote:
Some LRT interchange in KL are sucks maybe because of the diff company operate, need to walk 5-10 mins for it. The KLCC station is dirty, ppl just simply throw the handouts/pamphets on the floor. The pudu bus station in KL even worst, so hot, polluted and extemely dirty
Very agree. This is a problem in KL. I hope that the authority will make a hangover to connect any 2 LRT stations from different lines that stands closer to each other. Pudu Bus Station reallly sucks ! The government had already planned to relocate bus terminal to Subang Airport but the got objection from public as it is too far from the city. But RapidKL is COOOL. With only RM 2 you can travel to everywhere around KL throughout the day. Still I hope the City Council will name each bus stops to ease bus navigations.

Quote:
If you see how he describes HK in his previous posts, "mess up", "slum", "smelly", "dirty", "poverty" and same shit recyles and keep on attacking HK. Maybe a HK man takes his girlfriend so he can generate such hatred in every post to demonise HK.
And now its very obvious that Pax Sinica and Steve Skyline is da same person

Quote:
Seems like my words a bit harsh, KL still my favourite city along with Penang in M'sia. Nice food, affordable bargain and great skylines.
Don`t agree. KL is not my favourite city, I strongly reccommend Putrajaya or Shah Alam in your next visit
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #920
napoleon
Liberty, Equality, Frate

Likes (Received): 4369

The city is beautiful at night.

I would like to visit.
napoleon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam