daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #10381
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Bangkok Thailand

I love the smell of napalm . . by Grant Cameron, on Flickr
atomx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #10382
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Pattaya Thailand

Photo : by bbotark

Xenoplas, Noodles7 liked this post
atomx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #10383
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Nagoya has a nice skyline but a few tower will not make it to top 20 best asian skyline
Nagoya certainly has a very small skyline. actually I'd even say it's nothing compared to every of the several skylines of Tokyo apart from Shibuya and Ikebukuro. the same with the skyline of Osaka. However what I personally like about Nagoya are three things:

1. every skyscraper is somewhat goodlooking (not saying extraordinary but goodlooking)

2. it might not look like it but three of those towers standing there right now are some of the tallest towers of Japan

3. the skyline is constantly growing

Nagoya still has a long way to go but it's got the potential (apart from having no mt. fuji in the background )

WingWing, Noodles7 liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #10384
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

Once all the towers U/C are done I want to see how Nagoya will look, IMO it will be one of the best skylines in Japan from a "classical western perspective" (something I made up), in other words like La Defense in Paris and American skylines, all the skyscrapers are concentrated around Nagoya station. It is very different than Tokyo and Osaka and many if not most asian cities that are a huge mass of skyscrapers/highrises or have several skyscraper clusters.

Some can argue Tokyo doesn't look too good because of how it has several skyscraper clusters (each one basically the size of Singapore's skyline), so that is something Nagoya has for it.

With all that said, for me personally I prefer the giant "mass" of skylines of most asian cities, which is why western cities barely are in any of my top favorites except NYC. So basically I don't like Nagoya's skyline much, it would look good in the US though.

Xenoplas, hamasaki liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #10385
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Once all the towers U/C are done I want to see how Nagoya will look, IMO it will be one of the best skylines in Japan from a "classical western perspective" (something I made up), in other words like La Defense in Paris and American skylines, all the skyscrapers are concentrated around Nagoya station. It is very different than Tokyo and Osaka and many if not most asian cities that are a huge mass of skyscrapers/highrises or have several skyscraper clusters.

Some can argue Tokyo doesn't look too good because of how it has several skyscraper clusters (each one basically the size of Singapore's skyline), so that is something Nagoya has for it.

With all that said, for me personally I prefer the giant "mass" of skylines of most asian cities, which is why western cities barely are in any of my top favorites except NYC. So basically I don't like Nagoya's skyline much, it would look good in the US though.
You have to prove that now Ukiyo ...
SG has a very large skyline for a city of it's size ...

WingWing liked this post
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #10386
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Singapore
View of Marina Bay by Christopher Arnaud, on Flickr

SG Heart Map by hak87, on Flickr
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #10387
WingWing

Quote:

hmm

if u say tokyo has 'more skyscraper above 150m'

I would agree but thats not much more only by small difference.

In fact Singapore skyline is taller than Tokyo

heres the list of sg skyscraper
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=920

and tokyo
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=962
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #10388
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17826

The Colors of Hong Kong by tyler sprague, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

redcode liked this post

Last edited by hkskyline; November 27th, 2015 at 06:44 PM.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #10389
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

well tokyo definitely has more skyscrapers than sg and not just a few - however of course it was an exaggeration comparing every of the skylines of tokyo with the skyline of sg. sg actually has more skyscrapers than you'd think at first since not all of them are in the marina bay cbd. even the cbd alone is actually a little bit bigger than f.e. shinjuku or marunouchi (we're talking about something like four or five buildings here). however I still think it's quite impressive for a city to able to say every of the several skylines is almost as big as the main cbd of singapore and I think that's what ukiyo meant there

redcode, WingWing, hamasaki liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #10390
Montanini
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Tokyo
Montanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #10391
ukiyo

Yep Tokyo definitely has more skyscrapers and not "just a few". Anyway the point is looking at the pictures basically Singapore looks more or less the same as most of Tokyo's skyline clusters, as has already been posted in this thread several times now. Shinjuku alone looks almost identical to the one of Singapore. Towers also make a skyline, and Tokyo has 634m and 333m. Anyway height is not what we are talking about anyways. Both Tokyo and Singapore can't compete when it comes to height. Even Osaka beats Tokyo when it comes to height of buildings. In Asia chinese cities are king when it comes to height of course, there's no comparison.

The main point here is Tokyo to many doesn't look good because it is really "disorganized" and spread all over the place. There is no uniformity. Some can call it ugly and I have no argument either, just a different opinion. If Tokyo had all its skyscrapers say just around Tokyo Station it would be pretty amazing IMO.

Yokohama and Nagoya are basically the only cities in Japan with some height and more of a traditional uniformity.

Last edited by ukiyo; November 28th, 2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #10392
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
You have to prove that now Ukiyo ...
SG has a very large skyline for a city of it's size ...
Keep in mind I'm not saying they are identical by counting buildings or height just visually similar but here is just one:

Shinjuku

SHINJUKU SKYLINE by GLIDEi7, on Flickr

Tokyo 3574 by tokyoform, on Flickr

Singapore:

The Eclipse by Charlie Kwan Photography, on Flickr

^ They almost look like the same "city" sometimes.

Shinjuku is quite far away from this for example:

The Tokyo Tower at night by Jeff Barry, on Flickr

Roppongi Skyline by spiraldelight, on Flickr

or Marunouchi

Sakurada Gate and Marunouchi Business District at Night by GLIDEi7, on Flickr

Or Shiodome (yes this is a different area then the other pic with Tokyo Tower, different directions)

Shiodome Area - Tokyo night view by Nonaka Oikawa, on Flickr

One with sky tree

Tokyo Skytree from Roppongi Hills Mori Tower by Jeff Barry, on Flickr

Tokyo has so many skyline clusters.

redcode, Dito Roso, Xenoplas, mw123 liked this post

Last edited by ukiyo; November 28th, 2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #10393
ukiyo

Speaking of Singapore I stayed at the Marine Bay sands this year Here are some of my pics I haven't posted anywhere yet...

2015-03-18 09.39.39 by ukiyo634, on Flickr

2015-03-18 09.38.34 by ukiyo634, on Flickr

2015-03-18 10.57.30 by ukiyo634, on Flickr

2015-03-20 10.57.49 by ukiyo634, on Flickr

2015-03-20 13.20.44 by ukiyo634, on Flickr
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #10394
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Yep Tokyo definitely has more skyscrapers and not "just a few". Anyway the point is looking at the pictures basically Singapore looks more or less the same as most of Tokyo's skyline clusters, as has already been posted in this thread several times now. Shinjuku alone looks almost identical to the one of Singapore. Towers also make a skyline, and Tokyo has 634m and 333m. Anyway height is not what we are talking about anyways. Both Tokyo and Singapore can't compete when it comes to height. Even Osaka beats Tokyo when it comes to height of buildings. In Asia chinese cities are king when it comes to height of course, there's no comparison.

The main point here is Tokyo to many doesn't look good because it is really "disorganized" and spread all over the place. There is no uniformity. Some can call it ugly and I have no argument either, just a different opinion. If Tokyo had all its skyscrapers say just around Tokyo Station it would be pretty amazing IMO.

Yokohama and Nagoya are basically the only cities in Japan with some height and more of a traditional uniformity.
Singapore's skyline is also spread out but has a unifomed CBD. On the other hand, Shinjuku seems to have the most organized skyline in Tokyo besides Shiodome.

Its odd that Tokyo has never planned any supertall skyscrapers while it has supertall structures.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

WingWing liked this post
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #10395
ukiyo

Yep Tokyo has no CBD, Singapore has a nice organized one (IMO). Tokyo only has "station" clusters, remember Japan is the most rail oriented country in the world, only HK has a higher ridership than japanese cities. So what you end up with is all the economic activity is centered on stations with several lines and not "CBD" or "downtowns". "Downtowns" more or less do not exist in japanese cities, Nagoya and Yokohama are the closest to that layout.

As for supertall buildings, until recently it was simply too expensive to build them due to engineering in such earthquake prone zones. Nowadays they are feasible (see Osaka), however it is kind of too late since Japan's booming years were 60s-90s. With that said Tokyo does have it's first supertall building under planning at the moment
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #10396
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Yep Tokyo has no CBD, Singapore has a nice organized one (IMO). Tokyo only has "station" clusters, remember Japan is the most rail oriented country in the world, only HK has a higher ridership than japanese cities. So what you end up with is all the economic activity is centered on stations with several lines and not "CBD" or "downtowns". "Downtowns" more or less do not exist in japanese cities, Nagoya and Yokohama are the closest to that layout.

As for supertall buildings, until recently it was simply too expensive to build them due to engineering in such earthquake prone zones. Nowadays they are feasible (see Osaka), however it is kind of too late since Japan's booming years were 60s-90s. With that said Tokyo does have it's first supertall building under planning at the moment
Tokyo's main CBD was supposedly Marounuchi as the HQ of many major Japanese corporations and financial institutions are based there. So are the main offices of many multinational companies.

But Shinjuku was able to create a descent skyilne as buildings there are taller than that of Marunouchi.

It's odd that you mentioned HK has a higher train ridership. Tokyo's metro system is the busiest in the world!

Taipei is also seismic prone but was able to construct Taipei 101 as it was the tallest building in the world upon completion.

Japan with a higher economy would be capable of such. Though I would like to see a "Neo Tokyo" like cityscape in the future just like in the movie, Akira.

Old November 28th, 2015, 03:44 AM   #10397
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

As for me, I like taking shots of Metro Manila's skyline from a far vantage point.

Here are some,

_Night City Dream_ liked this post
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #10398
WingWing

singapore different skyline

financial cbd

Progress by night86mare, on Flickr

orchard road
Rochor Centre by kenneth neo, on Flickr

rochor
Panoramic View from the Stadium Waterfront by Cheng Kiang Ng, on Flickr

buona vista
Buona Vista landscape including Fusionopolis by Jnzl's Public Domain Photos, on Flickr

alexandra
Untitled by relan masato, on Flickr

tiong bahru
DSCF0024 by Han Lin Teh, on Flickr

bishan
Lighted Pixels by Ian Ho, on Flickr

toa payoh
Panoramic view of Toa Payoh by Jake Wang, on Flickr

sengkang
Just a typical part of Singapore by Lionel Lim (aka Out of the Box Creation), on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2sun2moon/12128493774/

jurong east
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fiftymm99/17531553856/

dover
https://www.flickr.com/photos/754822...posted-public/

Xenoplas liked this post

Last edited by WingWing; November 28th, 2015 at 04:02 AM.
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #10399
ukiyo

Where are the skylines? I think you're misunderstanding what a "skyline" means. Commieblocks and one low rise apartment building is not a skyline. The first two-three pictures show it basically. Anyway discounting the commieblocks Singapore more or less has a nice organized CBD while Tokyo is just a giant mess with many clusters, some of which are equivalent in scope to singapores. The point still stands fine. Now the question is do we value a uniform skyline like Yokohama, Singapore (CBD), Paris la defense, virtually every American city or giant mass of buildings like Tokyo.

Dito Roso liked this post
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #10400
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
It's odd that you mentioned HK has a higher train ridership. Tokyo's metro system is the busiest in the world!

Taipei is also seismic prone but was able to construct Taipei 101 as it was the tallest building in the world upon completion.

Japan with a higher economy would be capable of such. Though I would like to see a "Neo Tokyo" like cityscape in the future just like in the movie,
As a % of commuters Hong Kong is higher though. As for Taipei 101 it was built recently which is my point...since the mid 90s or so it is no longer terribly expensive to build supertalls in earthquake countries but Japan's economy boom ended 20 years ago to take advantage of this.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam