daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #10401
saiho

Likes (Received): 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
It's odd that you mentioned HK has a higher train ridership. Tokyo's metro system is the busiest in the world!
I think he meant only HK has a higher public transit mode share which is true.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #10402
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6739

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Where are the skylines? I think you're misunderstanding what a "skyline" means. Commieblocks and one low rise apartment building is not a skyline. The first two-three pictures show it basically. Anyway discounting the commieblocks Singapore more or less has a nice organized CBD while Tokyo is just a giant mess with many clusters, some of which are equivalent in scope to singapores. The point still stands fine. Now the question is do we value a uniform skyline like Yokohama, Singapore (CBD), Paris la defense, virtually every American city or giant mass of buildings like Tokyo.
only
sengkang has highrises on that pic

while those blocks stand about 30 storey above.

I have been to Tokyo in 2012 for 4-5 days. I personally feel Tokyo has a big skyline but theres nothing stand out from each skyline. Its really a mess and the design looks like in the 80s or 90s. lack of glassy buildings. I think only shinjuku looks interesting with nice skyline cluster

btw la defense or yokohama is really small compared to singapore skyline. I think singapore skyline size comparable to KL, manila and chicago
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #10403
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Bangkok Thailand

Bangkok cityscape at evening light, Thailand by Nattapan Suwansukho, on Flickr

ttp://www.home.co.th/hometips/news/detail/82533

Bangkok Pulse By Pisut Jarintippitack

I love the smell of napalm . . by Grant Cameron, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alainpoder/20272044804/

WingWing, Xenoplas liked this post
atomx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #10404
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

If you are including commieblocks and apartment buildings as "skylines" than Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka, Shanghai and basically every other Chinese city have thousands of skylines lol.

As for your opinion that's fine, but the pics speak for themselves each of tokyos main clusters are approximately equivalent to Singapore but yes they are disorganized and far from each other that has been my entire point!

As for the size of Yokohama and la defense it is completely irrelevant we are talking about the type of skylines, they are the same type as Singapore which is a concentration of skyscrapers in the CBD.

WingWing, Dito Roso, Xenoplas, mw123 liked this post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #10405
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

By leechileung from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

WingWing liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #10406
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
As a % of commuters Hong Kong is higher though. As for Taipei 101 it was built recently which is my point...since the mid 90s or so it is no longer terribly expensive to build supertalls in earthquake countries but Japan's economy boom ended 20 years ago to take advantage of this.
But The Skytree was only recent.

On the other hand, there were several planned mega-tall / arcologies for Tokyo but were more visionaries.

The most impressive was Lord Norman Foster's Millennium Tower.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; November 28th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #10407
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
If you are including commieblocks and apartment buildings as "skylines" than Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka, Shanghai and basically every other Chinese city have thousands of skylines lol.

As for your opinion that's fine, but the pics speak for themselves each of tokyos main clusters are approximately equivalent to Singapore but yes they are disorganized and far from each other that has been my entire point!

As for the size of Yokohama and la defense it is completely irrelevant we are talking about the type of skylines, they are the same type as Singapore which is a concentration of skyscrapers in the CBD.
Basically the cluster-type of skyline.

Xenoplas liked this post
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:37 AM   #10408
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

tokyo is the best.
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #10409
WingWing

Quote:

I think marounouchi district also not considered as skyline as all the buildings looks like high rise office. This is comparable to buona vista

While shinjunku is the same density as raffles place-tanjong pagar district

The one around tokyo tower has the same skyline amount with orchard road

And the one with sky tree is about twice of rochor district.

Overall i would say they are relatively not much by difference.

In fact singapore has more than 200m buildings and majority in raffles place-tanjong pagar district. Moreover many projects u/c with height above 150m in that area and With the latest addition of 290m, singapore has 6-7 towers above 250m. Tokyo has skytree which is awesome but its a tower and located far from the skyline.

I guess its all back to own preference. U may prefer large skyline while i prefer organised skyline with glassy buildings and modern skyscrapers. If u have been driving around orchard district, there are many modern sleek high end residential around there.

I sometimes see tokyo resemble to seoul but tokyo is definitely better than seoul. Singapore financial district resemble more to san fransisco as the uob tower has almost similar design
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #10410
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

I can't let that one pass. Marunouchi-Outemachi has several towers of 200m+ and an average height of somewhere around 180m - that's not a high-rise cluster. Also Tokyo actually consists of a lot more 'skylines' than you mentioned and even those you mentioned are actually bigger and taller than you seem to think (at least looking at what parts of sg you compared them with and apart from shinjuku). as you mentioned sg has certainly more buildings above 250m though.
overall those two cities still are far too different to be compared like that with each other. singapore has quite a lot towers above 200m in one big cbd and lots of smaller towers in small groups, tokyo has lots and lots of towers between 150m and 250m but they're spread all over the city where they form to little and sometimes even big clusters - and both are great that way. that's all that matters!

WingWing liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #10411
ukiyo

The point is still the same: Tokyo has several clusters many rivaling singapores CBD in size, posting commieblocks or a single apartment/condo building doesn't change what I said at all. I am not sure you totally understand what a skyline is. Seoul must be the king of skylines to you judging by the pictures you chose. Nobody said anything about what is better so why even mention glassy buildings or architecture? Who said anything about it? I never said any cluster looks better than Singapore, don't get so defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoplas View Post
I can't let that one pass. Marunouchi-Outemachi has several towers of 200m+ and an average height of somewhere around 180m - that's not a high-rise cluster. Also Tokyo actually consists of a lot more 'skylines' than you mentioned and even those you mentioned are actually bigger and taller than you seem to think (at least looking at what parts of sg you compared them with and apart from shinjuku).
No idea how marunouchi can not be considered a skyline but you pretty much countered that perfectly. Also your point about 'skylines' is exactly correct, and it's not even necessarily a positive I explicitly said depending on your opinion it can make the city an ugly mess. Not sure what the argument even is?

Last edited by ukiyo; November 28th, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #10412
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

In Fact , Tokyo has a gigantic skyline :

tokyo sunset by sulo, sur Flickr
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #10413
WingWing

Gigantic in term of low white rise which is like few storey high shop houses.

And i nvr say seoul is king of skyline. I said tokyo is better than seoul and they do have some similarities as the gangnam district resemble tokyo tower area.

Because what u said a single cbd in tokyo will be able to match the skyline of whole singapore which makes me amazed. Singapore has more than half of skyscrapers in tokyo. What makes u said that?
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #10414
ukiyo

You are not reading correctly and or basically taking things too personally imo.

Last edited by ukiyo; November 28th, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #10415
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
But The Skytree was only recent.
Yup but it's a tv tower which I'm assuming is cheaper to make than a 634m office building.
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #10416
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
In Fact , Tokyo has a gigantic skyline :
Good pic but the only way to make all of Tokyo to look like a single skyline is by going way out in saitama:

Tokyo Panorama Sunset by
Sandro Bisaro, on Flickr
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #10417
Tokyo/Manila
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 1707

hands down, For me Tokyo is the Father of all skylines in asia .. Tokyo is one of the earliest cities to have a huge skyline in asia... and others followed
Tokyo/Manila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #10418
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo/Manila View Post
hands down, For me Tokyo is the Father of all skylines in asia .. Tokyo is one of the earliest cities to have a huge skyline in asia... and others followed
Not really , Tokyo started building vertically way after HK for example , the title of Asia's Father of skylines belong to HK I think ...

WingWing, Avatar liked this post
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:49 AM   #10419
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Tokyo shouldn't even be compared to Singapore especially when it comes to skyline. Both cities have a different layout for such.

Old November 29th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #10420
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
I think marounouchi district also not considered as skyline as all the buildings looks like high rise office. This is comparable to buona vista

While shinjunku is the same density as raffles place-tanjong pagar district

The one around tokyo tower has the same skyline amount with orchard road

And the one with sky tree is about twice of rochor district.

Overall i would say they are relatively not much by difference.

In fact singapore has more than 200m buildings and majority in raffles place-tanjong pagar district. Moreover many projects u/c with height above 150m in that area and With the latest addition of 290m, singapore has 6-7 towers above 250m. Tokyo has skytree which is awesome but its a tower and located far from the skyline.

I guess its all back to own preference. U may prefer large skyline while i prefer organised skyline with glassy buildings and modern skyscrapers. If u have been driving around orchard district, there are many modern sleek high end residential around there.

I sometimes see tokyo resemble to seoul but tokyo is definitely better than seoul. Singapore financial district resemble more to san fransisco as the uob tower has almost similar design
You mean Los Angeles. The UOB more resembles US Bank Tower though the latter is taller and has a larger base.

WingWing liked this post

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam