daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #10421
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
Not really , Tokyo started building vertically way after HK for example , the title of Asia's Father of skylines belong to HK I think ...
Tokyo's skyscraper development started at the same time as HK back in the 70s.

Shinjuku was already forming a descent cluster back then.

Much of Asia's skyscraper developments were happening during that decade from HK to SG!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #10422
LiticBunendichter
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

looks like toad that stadium
LiticBunendichter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #10423
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

By alex_5111 from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #10424
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Singapore

https://www.flickr.com/photos/274235...665722/sizes/l

realitybites-u liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #10425
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
Not really , Tokyo started building vertically way after HK for example , the title of Asia's Father of skylines belong to HK I think ...
Agreed but I guess it comes down to what people define as a skyline. Dense clusters of 200m+ buildings or a sea of medium rise buildings. A skyline for me needs at least moderate height. This is something Tokyo simply doesn't have.

Tokyo is like the Sao Paulo of Asia. A huge expansive city with massive densities but it really doesn't have a skyline. To me it's more a massive urban landscape. Hong Kong on the other hand has height and definite landscape piercing buildings. It still covers and dominates the landscape but it has a more visible vertical presence which better relates to the idea of a 'skyline'.

WingWing, mw123, _Night City Dream_ liked this post

Last edited by Avatar; November 30th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #10426
atomx
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2047

Bangkok Thailand

Untitled by Warren R.M. Stuart, on Flickr
atomx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:10 AM   #10427
FirzDaurens_
007 Agent

Likes (Received): 307

Kuala Lumpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by azey View Post

realitybites-u liked this post
FirzDaurens_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #10428
Galactic Ruler

@ Atomx

Oh joy, another image of Bangkok showing the same view the other 1000 images already posted show.

realitybites-u, redcode, saiho, TRX_ liked this post
Old November 29th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #10429
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Agreed but I guess it comes down to what people define as a skyline. Dense clusters of 200m+ buildings or a sea of medium rise buildings. A skyline for me needs at least moderate height. This is something Tokyo simply doesn't have.

Tokyo is like the Sao Paulo of Asia. A huge expansive city with massive densities but it really doesn't have a skyline. To me it's more a massive urban landscape. Hong Kong on the other hand has height and definite landscape piercing buildings. It still covers and dominates the landscape but it has a move visible vertical presence which better relates to the idea of a 'skyline'.
well even if you only consider buildings with a height above 200 meters skyscrapers tokyo only has three less than singapore right now and least some of them for example in shinjuku, minato, marunouchi or shiodome are standing pretty closely to each other. of course it's still different to being in one cbd like in sg - that's why I think those two aren't even comparable - but saying tokyo does not have it is not right! but I do understand the point you have there personally though I consider everything above 150m a skyscraper and then tokyo does have them en masse and with density.

a few actual pictures of tokyo to underline what I wrote:

Shinjuku

See the Shinjuku skyscrapers from Bunkyo Civic Center by sylve.okazaki, on Flickr

Minato in the front, Marunouchi in the back (I think I don't need an extra picture for marunouchi - I think most of the people here have seen it's the densest area of tokyo)

A view from Tokyo City View, Roppongi Hills by starockr, on Flickr

Shiodome

Shiodome Sio-Site / 汐留シオサイト by LittleGray_T, on Flickr

and another picture with most of tokyo's skylines in one picture taken from another 200m+ building in Ikebukuro

池袋_環景_1080 by Eman Chen, on Flickr

SH16, redcode, Codename B, PunnaWich, Avatar liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #10430
Xenoplas

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
@ Atomx

Oh joy, another image of Bangkok showing the same view the other 1000 images already posted show.
I don't think atomx is really doing that bad of a job there. of course many pictures have the same angle but then what about hongkong? hk has like four or five different angles here and still we see pictures of it on about every page. the same with kuala lumpur, singapore and even tokyo (even though I really try to vary the angles and I guess the others here too). every city simply has it's major photo spots of course it would be nice to see some completely different angles of those cities in stead but you have to find them in the first place.

WingWing, Jack Fruit, Codename B liked this post
Xenoplas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #10431
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:

Tokyo is like the Sao Paulo of Asia. A huge expansive city with massive densities but it really doesn't have a skyline. To me it's more a massive urban landscape. Hong Kong on the other hand has height and definite landscape piercing buildings. It still covers and dominates the landscape but it has a move visible vertical presence which better relates to the idea of a 'skyline'.
Tokyo's skyline has a decent moderate height especially Shinjuku.

The average skyscraper in this area is 200 m or above.

Sao Paulo's tallest building does not even go beyond 200 m.

Old November 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #10432
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Various Metro Manila photos, taken by me!

Xenoplas liked this post
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #10433
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Singapore again

The Road Less Travelled by Ashley Matthew Teo, on Flickr

love this new south beach tower by Starck

The National Gallery Singapore by williamcho, on Flickr

Cityscape Monochrome by drumbunkerdragon, on Flickr

Xenoplas, Avatar, redcode liked this post
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #10434
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

By dannymok2000 from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #10435
SoldierNik

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Singapore again

WOW! Nice shoot of Singapore!
SoldierNik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #10436
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoplas View Post
I don't think atomx is really doing that bad of a job there. of course many pictures have the same angle but then what about hongkong? hk has like four or five different angles here and still we see pictures of it on about every page. the same with kuala lumpur, singapore and even tokyo (even though I really try to vary the angles and I guess the others here too). every city simply has it's major photo spots of course it would be nice to see some completely different angles of those cities in stead but you have to find them in the first place.
Images of Hong Kong never get old and HK has postcard views from many angles. It also has a large number of inspired high-quality buildings. There is always something interesting to see.

IMO Bangkok and Jakarta really have no good angles and every image looks roughly the same due to the lack of diversity and lack of standout architecture. KL does have PETRONAS which creates a focal point which helps to define the city. Posting multitudes of images that all look roughly similar is no way to garner support for a city. There are ways to curate postings and to only select the stand out images, here we can sometimes seem bombarded with so much after a while we become desensitised or worse ... apathetic.

Great pics of Tokyo above BTW!

Last edited by Avatar; November 30th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old November 30th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #10437
Galactic Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Tokyo's skyline has a decent moderate height especially Shinjuku.

The average skyscraper in this area is 200 m or above.

Sao Paulo's tallest building does not even go beyond 200 m.
You're totally missing the point.

Hong Kong and Tokyo couldn't be more different and that is what I am alluding to. Hong Kong is a crazy vertical city on a very small land area. Tokyo has a sprawling mass of buildings occupying a huge land area. The landform is also quite different with HK's dramatic mountains and islands creating something very different. Both cities are great but they offer city form in two totally different contexts.

WingWing liked this post

Last edited by Avatar; November 30th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #10438
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

I generally agree with everything you're saying except the comparison to Sao Paolo Tokyo does indeed have "moderate" height, especially when compared to Sao Paolo and especially if you count towers. The point about Tokyo is that it doesn't have a one "skyline" per se (a similarity with Sao Paolo) but it does have several individual/cluster skylines (which Sao Paolo doesn't have). The Tokyo metropolitan area is the largest in the world so it sprawls densely for a long time but nowadays chinese megacities are a better comparison to the sprawl of this scale. As for HK was anybody really questioning Hong Kong here? When it comes to height really only Shanghai or Dubai if we are counting all of Asia can compete with HK.

As for Bangkok, Jakarta etc etc can't you make that argument about all the cities being posted in here?
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #10439
Galactic Ruler

Don't get hung up on my Sao Paulo reference, it was more of a symbolic reference, referencing the endless sea of built environment. I understand Tokyo is far more modern and has greater height diversity.
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #10440
redcode
uncompromising

Likes (Received): 24571

S A I G O N

Si Gn c những chiều mưa bất chợt... by Nguyen Khanh Son, trn Flickr
"Hatred is corrosive of a person's wisdom and conscience; the mentality of enmity can poison a nation's spirit, instigate brutal life and death struggles, destroy a society's tolerance and humanity, and block a nation's progress to freedom and democracy."

Xenoplas, PunnaWich, Jack Fruit liked this post
redcode no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam