daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #1101
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiverage View Post

Singapore is my impression of Los Angeles, its skyline is not very spread out compared with the first 4.It is like a mountain, starts off small and builds up until it peaks and falls again, the peak being the 280 UOB Tower. It's beauty is perhaps the top 3 or 2 of Asia but it falls short on the overall image of an urban jungle cept for the Downtown area. Yet, it is the most organized one of the top 5, just need to expand Singapore!

I won't comment on the rest since I'm more familiar with these 2 cities, ie. Singapore & KL. Singapore is certainly unlike LA. Far from it. If you've been to Singapore, or have browsed thru the pics of Singapore, you'll know that this entire island state is a huge urban jungle, not only its downtown. Its downtown (aka Tanjung Pagar area, which will eventually include Marina Bay), is as magnificent in pics as in real. Of course, when ppl show the pics of Singapore, they show the pics of its downtown instead of its huge suburban skyline, which can be very eye-catchy too. It is almost impossible for Singapore to expand, the only way is to build upwards. Yet with the height restriction (which I believe have something to do with building security), you may see lotsa Singapore buildings come with very good quality with concepts on how to maximise the available space.

Quote:
KL, a thin skyline but a magnificent one. No real density, however it covers the view behind it very well because of its height and density. By thin, I mean the buildings u see in pictures of this city, you don't really see two or three more layers of buildings behind it. This is why it does not deserve to be in the top 5. However, it beats the other cities because of the architecture styles of the buildings and the height of the Petronas and the tower i don't noe watsit called.
KL's skyline is defintely not thin. That is, if you're referring to KL City (downtown) skyline. In fact, the skyline of KL City is probably as big as two or three other CBDs of other cities combined. The reason ppl don't see two or three layers of buildings behind the downtown's skyline is the "layers" are built up further away from the city, in areas many of which are surrounded by hills and lakes. Bear in mind KL City is surrounded by mountains, hills, lakes, and even forests. In order to preserve these forests, there aren't many choices left except to build the urban centres further away. If I were to show just some of KL's suburban & metro area, many will be amazed that KL is not that flat & thin after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
I think so, too. What makes KL standout is its Petronas.
As I've explained in other threads before, KL could be very outstanding due to Petronas Twin Towers as they have been featured many times again & again in many pics. Of course, without it, KL might be lacking something but however, just imagine a KL skyline without Petronas Twin Towers. It still look tall & magnificent, doesnt it? But in many cases, when people post the pics of KL, you basically wont miss two iconic buildings - PTT & KL Tower. Does KL have nothing else to show beside these two? Well, if its downtown skyline is the best, of course it would be highly featured. If PTT is the focal point of the downtown, then it would appear again & again, simply because it is a focal point. When one thinks of HK, certainly Victoria Harbour and its Bank of China Tower & HSBC building come into mind. Similarly, when one thinks of KL, PTT & KL Tower get the limelight. As for Singapore, its Tanjung Pagar cluster certainly is an icon, that everyone who sees the pic will know it's Singapore. Let me ask a question, once Lopez Center is built in Makati, would anyone resist the temptation of avoiding that tower when featuring Makati's skyline in pics? I guess the answer is obvious

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.

Last edited by Lastresorter; January 27th, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1102
Dulgeroff
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

In about 7-8 years Dubai may very well be considered to have the best skyline in the world. Currently they have approved the building of approximately 1200 highrises, 2 of which will be the tallest in the world, one likely at over 800 meters (Burj Dubai - under construction), the other at over 1000 meters(Al Burj - construction to begin in 2008). Anyways, it is estimated that approximately $300 billion US are going into the current projects, and approximately $800 billion US for all projects leading up to 2020. Dubai allso holds the title for most construction cranes in the world. Last statistic I checked had it at approximately 23% of all the world's construction cranes. Anyways, I'm European, I've lived in East Asia and I've never been to Dubai, so I would imagine that when it comes to your thread my opinions are fairly impartial as conceived from a neutral perspective. That said, at present time I must say that Hong Kong not only has the best skyline in Asia, but indeed the best in the world.
Dulgeroff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #1103
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

I agree with you Dulgeroff

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1104
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

To better support my points, see the pics below

Singapore's urban jungle (away from downtown)

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #1105
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

The KL layers (away from downtown)

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1106
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I think Makati looks better than KL !
I disagree. KL has better quality buildings. But I like them both.
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1107
Gandhi
Newland

Likes (Received): 4

well...Dubai...KL...Singapore...Shangai...
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #1108
momok

Likes (Received): 1

i had been both manila & kl n i have to say kl skyline is better than manila.
momok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #1109
momok

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
1. Hong Kong
2. Shanghai
3. Bangkok
4. Tokyo
5. Singapore
6. KL
7. Manila
8. Seoul
9. Dubai
10. Jakarta

Manila's and Jakarta's skyline is similar to Bangkok's. Hover the big difference between the three cities is that Bangkok's is more spreadout and more dense. Manila has some areas of great density yet others there are just buildings there and not very much height nor density. It's size is incomparable to Bangkok however it does beat out the rest fairly. Jakarta's size is large but there is indeed no density and no height whatsoever so it deserves to be just the last of the top 10.

don't judge base on pic.. unless u have been there.
actually Bangkok Skyline cluster is huge/denser than Manila & Jakarta
momok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #1110
diz
Unregistered User

You're not reading the whole statement.
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #1111
haze

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisXavier View Post
dude, do you actually get what is being discussed in here? you dont have to reiterate that.. Skyprince is refering to the skyline and not the city as a whole..
tell me what kind of skyline without quantity, height n quality of buildings ??
haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #1112
haze

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:

KL, a thin skyline but a magnificent one. No real density, however it covers the view behind it very well because of its height and density. By thin, I mean the buildings u see in pictures of this city, you don't really see two or three more layers of buildings behind it. This is why it does not deserve to be in the top 5. However, it beats the other cities because of the architecture styles of the buildings and the height of the Petronas and the tower i don't noe watsit called.
this pic show just a half part of KL city center(excl suburn).. how came thin n only one layer ??? answer pls..

don't rate only KLCC coz it only small part of skyline.

haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1113
diz
Unregistered User

I don't understand your english... but IMO, KL has a better skyline right now in terms of quality and location.
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #1114
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

KL has two major landmark scrapers. The Petronas and the Menera Telekom Both have a futuristic look.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #1115
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

56 pages long, wow. And it's still Hong Kong.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #1116
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I think Shanghai is the closest rival to HK. They have height and density. The only thing they lack are the amount of landmark scrapers. Ok there's the Jin Mao and soon to be SWFC. They are also some nice ones in Puxi but are not that recognizable compared to those scrapers you see in Central or Admiralty

Old January 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #1117
xStarx
Dae~ Han Min Guk

Likes (Received): 0

1. Hong Kong
2. Shanghai
3. Seoul
4. Tokyo
5. Manila
6. Kuala Lumpur
7. Singapore
8. Jakarta
9. Dubai
10. Bangkok
xStarx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #1118
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

KL and Singapore look very similar or to say twin sisters

Old January 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1119
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

HONG KONG forever.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #1120
wafu21m
BANNED

is it true that in a few years dubai will overtake hongkong?, I read it in a forum here i just can't remember what part of this site.
wafu21m no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam