daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1121
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafu21m View Post
is it true that in a few years dubai will overtake hongkong?, I read it in a forum here i just can't remember what part of this site.
Even if Dubai has The Burj, several supertalls being built and new high-rise developments. It will take them a long time to reach or even beat HK's level.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1122
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafu21m View Post
is it true that in a few years dubai will overtake hongkong?, I read it in a forum here i just can't remember what part of this site.
In what sense though? Dubai's financial markets are very small still although they are growing rapidly.

In buildings, there are a lot more highrise residentials in HK over Dubai. It'll take quite a long time before Dubai can catch up.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1123
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I think Shanghai is the closest rival to HK. They have height and density. The only thing they lack are the amount of landmark scrapers. Ok there's the Jin Mao and soon to be SWFC. They are also some nice ones in Puxi but are not that recognizable compared to those scrapers you see in Central or Admiralty
I don't think Shanghai lacks landmark skyscrapers at all. Jin Mao is a major anchor, and SWFC is rising rapidly. Oriental Pearl is also next door. All three together will form a major visual anchor to the Pudong skyline. Puxi will always be famous for the Bund, but there are a number of landmark areas as well, such as the New World Tower (that whole stretch is a big shopping area), the Marriott opposite People's Square, and a couple more buildings to the west.

In fact, Shanghai's new skyscrapers are far more bold and daring in design. They're all very aggressive, whereas Hong Kong only has a couple of major bold architectural statements. Shanghai has quite a lot more of them. HK's architectural landmarks are concentrated, while in Shanghai they are more scattered, so people who don't venture outside the main tourist spots will likely miss them.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #1124
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
56 pages long, wow. And it's still Hong Kong.
Agree. This thread should be closed. Instead, a thread on "Asia's Second Best Skyline", "Third Best", etc. etc. should be opened
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1125
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I don't think Shanghai lacks landmark skyscrapers at all. Jin Mao is a major anchor, and SWFC is rising rapidly. Oriental Pearl is also next door. All three together will form a major visual anchor to the Pudong skyline. Puxi will always be famous for the Bund, but there are a number of landmark areas as well, such as the New World Tower (that whole stretch is a big shopping area), the Marriott opposite People's Square, and a couple more buildings to the west.

In fact, Shanghai's new skyscrapers are far more bold and daring in design. They're all very aggressive, whereas Hong Kong only has a couple of major bold architectural statements. Shanghai has quite a lot more of them. HK's architectural landmarks are concentrated, while in Shanghai they are more scattered, so people who don't venture outside the main tourist spots will likely miss them.
Like I said, The Jin Mao or SWFC are exceptions. Other Shanghai skyscrapers are futuristic in design but they don't have the recognition compared to some of HK's known scrapers.

Old January 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1126
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Like I said, The Jin Mao or SWFC are exceptions. Other Shanghai skyscrapers are futuristic in design but they don't have the recognition compared to some of HK's known scrapers.
Recognition and architectural merit don't always correlate. Shanghai is unfairly judged because it does not receive as much international attention as Hong Kong, but it's a logical error to claim Hong Kong's buildings are more prominent and important architecturally because Shanghai isn't as well known or well visited by international travelers.

Shanghai's architectural landmarks still exist even though people might be ignorant and not know about them.

Old January 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #1127
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

From what I've seen here so far, hkskyline has excellent knowledge and perception of a lot of things, and I will have to trust his views on Dubai. (Granted I've only been here a month) I certainly hope that Dubai's skyline won't beat out HKs (I don't believe it will, Hong Kong, like New York, has a bit of history (though granted, not nearly as rich as New Yorks), and this history helps add a bit of variety and taste to Hong Kong's skyline, and the mountain backdrop is the one thing that helps make Hong Kong's skyline unique (both aesthetically and practically, as without it, Hong Kong may very well have become Los Angeles). With the addition of Kowloon, Hong Kong's skyline will take a new perspective to entirely comprehend, which should be refreshing for a while.

Quote:
Recognition and architectural merit don't always correlate. Shanghai is unfairly judged because it does not receive as much international attention as Hong Kong, but it's a logical error to claim Hong Kong's buildings are more prominent and important architecturally because Shanghai isn't as well known or well visited by international travelers.

Shanghai's architectural landmarks still exist even though people might be ignorant and not know about them.
In terms of skyline, though, does architectural merit necessarily beat recognition in terms of the judgment of skyline? Granted, Shanghai's towers may not be as recognizable as Hong Kong's, and architectural merit, of course, is a widely subjective debate, but Hong Kong's skyline absolutely trumps that of Shanghai, whose skyline lacks the coherent feel of many other cities. From some angles (from what I've seen), the tall towers and the short ones contrast too much for the skyline to be aesthetically pleasing.

However, in Shanghai's defense, I recently read a TIME article about Shanghai, and the contrast it has across the river. I believe the article mentioned something about how Shanghai has no present, only the future on one side, and the past on the other. That, I have to say, is something that I really want to experience first hand, and something Hong Kong does not have (at least, not in as much contrast as Shanghai).
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #1128
RadioFan
♥ 완소녀 연희 ♥

Likes (Received): 13

SEOUL... the capital city of unified KOREA

Seoul does not have ultra skyscraper but this city is one of the chief metropolises in East Asia...

Last edited by RadioFan; January 30th, 2007 at 03:20 AM.
RadioFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #1129
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

In fairness, Seoul has a dense skyline. And the KL 63 building did make it as a landmark scraper in SC3000 Unlimited

Old January 30th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #1130
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Seoul's skyscrapers are fairly scattered out. The area around KL 63 is not too dense, and the central core area doesn't have that many skyscrapers packed together. However, there are a number of pockets with a lot of skyscapers, so Seoul's skyline is fairly clustered all over the map.

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1131
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

How about Pyongyang

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1132
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
How about Pyongyang
Their biggest building is a crumbling, unfinished hotel. They have a lot of buildings, but I don't think many of us in this forum have been there to physically see the skyline. I've only reached as far as the DMZ on the South side.

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #1133
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1284

If you're not a US citizen, you can go the NK. Right?

Someday, I might go back to being a Philippine citizen, just to go the NK.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #1134
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Their biggest building is a crumbling, unfinished hotel. They have a lot of buildings, but I don't think many of us in this forum have been there to physically see the skyline. I've only reached as far as the DMZ on the South side.
Pyongyang's skyline is dense mostly high-rise commieblocks. And to those visiting Pyongyang, I think they are only limited to certain parts of the city or are even forbidden to enter these blocks

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #1135
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1284

True. There is a road where foreigners can go through because mid-rises hide the slums in the back.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1136
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 36

great strategy! lol!
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #1137
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
True. There is a road where foreigners can go through because mid-rises hide the slums in the back.
I don't think Pyongyang has any slums. Note North Korea is a communist country where almost everyone is the same class.

Instead of slum, you'll find the hundreds of high-rise commieblocks throughout the city.

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1138
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Pyongyang's skyline is dense mostly high-rise commieblocks. And to those visiting Pyongyang, I think they are only limited to certain parts of the city or are even forbidden to enter these blocks
Foreigners cannot enter North Korea freely. They must apply for a visa and most likely need to be accompanied by a local tour guide, hence there are a lot of restriction is what can be seen. In fact, although I was along the South's DMZ, taking pictures towards the North was strictly forbidden. Technically, the war has not yet ended.

Old January 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1139
iahcgnoht

Likes (Received): 3

seoul look so huge city
iahcgnoht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1140
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Foreigners cannot enter North Korea freely. They must apply for a visa and most likely need to be accompanied by a local tour guide, hence there are a lot of restriction is what can be seen. In fact, although I was along the South's DMZ, taking pictures towards the North was strictly forbidden. Technically, the war has not yet ended.
its not just that but The Koryo Hotel is the only one where foreign tourists can stay. Also, foreign tourists are not allowed to roam outside the hotel.

As for Seoul, it is a huge city but it's population is slowly declining

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam