daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #1181
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

The design is ok. And yes it's close to the airport.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1182
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17805

Lotte World is planned near their theme park, right? There are a few skyscrapers in the area, but if this one gets built even at a reduced height, it'll be very noticeable from both sides of the river.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #1183
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Will Santa deliver in that building too?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1184
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

A theme park near an airbase, cool

Anyway, yes the Lotte World Tower will be like the Taipei 101, very noticable. But again, even with the Lotte World Tower, Seoul's skyline is still scattered

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1185
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

And just like the Taipei 101, it's a shit building.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1186
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
And just like the Taipei 101, it's a shit building.
Between this and the Taipei 101, definitely the latter is better. I don't find anything wrong with the Taipei 101. The design is ok but not as striking as The BoC or Petronas.

But honestly, I would still prefer Central Plaza over Taipei 101

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1187
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Taipei 101's design has a lot of Chinese elements in it, much like Jin Mao, so it's quite an appropriate design fit for the local culture.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #1188
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

This thread will soon be 2 years old.
Probably it is time to make the next step...
How long the discussion is going to last?
Old February 8th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1189
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Taipei 101's design has a lot of Chinese elements in it, much like Jin Mao, so it's quite an appropriate design fit for the local culture.
That's the thing I like about most of today's Asian scrapers. I like how they fuse cultural elements to it such as Taipei 101, Petronas or even The Burj Dubai.

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #1190
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
That's the thing I like about most of today's Asian scrapers. I like how they fuse cultural elements to it such as Taipei 101, Petronas or even The Burj Dubai.
Unfortunately, that is not the norm in Asia's skyscraper race, which makes me a bit surprised at the bad reception 101 seems to be getting in this forum. Is it because it's different from the other projects, and people fear the new and the unknown?

Old February 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #1191
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is not the norm in Asia's skyscraper race, which makes me a bit surprised at the bad reception 101 seems to be getting in this forum. Is it because it's different from the other projects, and people fear the new and the unknown?
It's either that or it's surprising that Taipei could build such structure. Or it's probably not built by known architects.

But will the Taipei 101 get such merit if it was built on HK or Shanghai?

Old February 8th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1192
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
It's either that or it's surprising that Taipei could build such structure. Or it's probably not built by known architects.

But will the Taipei 101 get such merit if it was built on HK or Shanghai?
You mean "bad reception"? Maybe not, but remember that the BOC tower was initially poorly received in Hong Kong, as well. I'm not entirely sure why the T101 is criticized, I like its design rather well. I hear many Chinese complaining about it as a publicity stunt for Taiwan claiming the "world's tallest" title in a sort of economic power showcase race against China rather than built out of necessity. As well it has been complained of being entirely out of context with the rest of the skyline.

Of course, please enlighten me on much of this. I really dont know why the T101 is criticized so much, and if it is, if it would be criticized if it was placed in context of China or HK. HK was criticized for its angles inducing bad fengshui, but it was a building the incorporated cultural influences (i think they are suppose to resemble canes?)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #1193
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
You mean "bad reception"? Maybe not, but remember that the BOC tower was initially poorly received in Hong Kong, as well. I'm not entirely sure why the T101 is criticized, I like its design rather well. I hear many Chinese complaining about it as a publicity stunt for Taiwan claiming the "world's tallest" title in a sort of economic power showcase race against China rather than built out of necessity. As well it has been complained of being entirely out of context with the rest of the skyline.

Of course, please enlighten me on much of this. I really dont know why the T101 is criticized so much, and if it is, if it would be criticized if it was placed in context of China or HK. HK was criticized for its angles inducing bad fengshui, but it was a building the incorporated cultural influences (i think they are suppose to resemble canes?)
The BoC is criticized for having bad feng shui and that the angles from the facades ruined the images of neighbouring skyscrapers.

I don't know about the China-Taiwan issue though.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #1194
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1288

Yeah. They said that in the National Geographic Channel! But there is a building that I know of with good feng shui and that's the HSBC HQ.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1195
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Yeah. They said that in the National Geographic Channel! But there is a building that I know of with good feng shui and that's the HSBC HQ.
You mean former cause HSBC moved their HQ to London. But the HSBC building in HK has some good Feng Shui since it's behind the city square plus it's not blocked by other buildings.

If you ever pass by the building on sundays, it becomes Little Philippines

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #1196
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I've heard a lot of criticism over 101's appearance, but perhaps if they are aware of the cultural elements behind the design, they can make a more informed opinion. The Bank of China did not get such a reception. The bad feng shui only applied to the British governor's residence as the knife came down on him. To counteract, the British had to rearrange some things. Otherwise, the building has good feng shui for its owners, which makes sense because they are a bank after all.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #1197
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
You mean former cause HSBC moved their HQ to London. But the HSBC building in HK has some good Feng Shui since it's behind the city square plus it's not blocked by other buildings.

If you ever pass by the building on sundays, it becomes Little Philippines
HSBC's lobby was designed to have an open-concept ground level to maximize its good feng shui.

Being blocked by other buildings is not necessarily bad feng shui. If that is the case, then most of HK would be very bad feng shui because it's inevitable that in any city, blocks are filled up with buildings.

I doubt the banks would let a bad feng shui building go up on their watch. The two guards at the front of HSBC tell a long story.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1198
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
HSBC's lobby was designed to have an open-concept ground level to maximize its good feng shui.

Being blocked by other buildings is not necessarily bad feng shui. If that is the case, then most of HK would be very bad feng shui because it's inevitable that in any city, blocks are filled up with buildings.

I doubt the banks would let a bad feng shui building go up on their watch. The two guards at the front of HSBC tell a long story.
Yes I did noticed that on the building's ground floor.

As for the Taipei 101, I agree with the cultural elements but I think the criticism also goes to the location of the building. When you look at it, it stand at the edge of the city centre near a mountain slope. Plus it's a lone scraper with no supertall surrouding it.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #1199
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Yes I did noticed that on the building's ground floor.

As for the Taipei 101, I agree with the cultural elements but I think the criticism also goes to the location of the building. When you look at it, it stand at the edge of the city centre near a mountain slope. Plus it's a lone scraper with no supertall surrouding it.
Taipei is surrounded by mountains, and regardless of where the skyscraper would be built, it'd still be fairly lonely. Taipei doesn't have that many tall buildings to start - and that's a common theme across the city.

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1200
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Taipei is surrounded by mountains, and regardless of where the skyscraper would be built, it'd still be fairly lonely. Taipei doesn't have that many tall buildings to start - and that's a common theme across the city.
It doesn't. In fact before the Taipei 101 was built. I look at Kaohsiung as Taiwan's skyscraper city. They did have the tallest building in this province.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam