daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #1281
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeandaway View Post
Dubai!, Rangoon, Phnom Penh, Baku, Singapore, Tokyo, Shangai, Manila, Jakarta and Seoul have interesting sites and would like to visit them all!.
Agreed?
~Alex~
Rangoon has some nice attractions but their services aren't that good at all.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #1282
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I agree that Tokyo's urban area is vast. Los Angeles on the other hand can have the same effect except most o it's buildings are low-rise.
Many Asian cities have much greater urban areas than Hong Kong (at least, when viewed as a landscape). Hong Kong's greatest gift (in terms of its skyline) is also its greatest curse (in terms of vastness). When you look at Hong Kong's population compared to many other Asian greats (Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, as hkskyline mentioned), Hong Kong's population is only a fraction of the other cities, and yet Hong Kong's skyline is one of the best in the world. This is because of its hilly terrain. This hilly terrain, which forces development to rise up, and be broad and thin, gives rise to Hong Kong Island's famous and magnificent skyline. However, the hilly terrain will inhibit the vast urban development that other cities (especially Tokyo) has, which results in a much greater amount of depth (buildings as far as the eye can see). Hong Kong's terrain forces development to take place in relatively small pockets (any of the New Towns, for example) while leaving great patches of green in the middle, which means that Hong Kong will never have the great sprawling urban pics that cities like NYC and Tokyo can have. Of course, when you're actually in the city, the efficient transportation system removes much of that sense, making Hong Kong feel like a much smaller city than it actually is.

Of course, Asian cities are superior in their urban might than many of their North American counterparts (with the exception of New York and perhaps Chicago). I've been to Tokyo and Los Angeles, and if you compare the two, Los Angeles feels much more archaic, underdeveloped, and rundown than Tokyo does (hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I do get that feeilng when traveling through the two cities)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1283
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Many Asian cities have much greater urban areas than Hong Kong (at least, when viewed as a landscape). Hong Kong's greatest gift (in terms of its skyline) is also its greatest curse (in terms of vastness). When you look at Hong Kong's population compared to many other Asian greats (Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai, as hkskyline mentioned), Hong Kong's population is only a fraction of the other cities, and yet Hong Kong's skyline is one of the best in the world. This is because of its hilly terrain. This hilly terrain, which forces development to rise up, and be broad and thin, gives rise to Hong Kong Island's famous and magnificent skyline. However, the hilly terrain will inhibit the vast urban development that other cities (especially Tokyo) has, which results in a much greater amount of depth (buildings as far as the eye can see). Hong Kong's terrain forces development to take place in relatively small pockets (any of the New Towns, for example) while leaving great patches of green in the middle, which means that Hong Kong will never have the great sprawling urban pics that cities like NYC and Tokyo can have. Of course, when you're actually in the city, the efficient transportation system removes much of that sense, making Hong Kong feel like a much smaller city than it actually is.

Of course, Asian cities are superior in their urban might than many of their North American counterparts (with the exception of New York and perhaps Chicago). I've been to Tokyo and Los Angeles, and if you compare the two, Los Angeles feels much more archaic, underdeveloped, and rundown than Tokyo does (hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I do get that feeilng when traveling through the two cities)
I agree that alot of Asian cities are larger than HK in area and population. In fact HK is not considered a megalopolis since the region has less than 10 million.

I think it's not only the geographical features and topography but HK has some of the most iconic skyscrapers in Asia and we all know what they are. Plus the city has alot of supertalls and skyscrapers over 800 ft. Don't forget the nice lighting effects as well.

Unfortunately, HK's land is limited and the government has ended up reclaiming more.

Old February 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #1284
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
I agree that alot of Asian cities are larger than HK in area and population. In fact HK is not considered a megalopolis since the region has less than 10 million.

I think it's not only the geographical features and topography but HK has some of the most iconic skyscrapers in Asia and we all know what they are. Plus the city has alot of supertalls and skyscrapers over 800 ft. Don't forget the nice lighting effects as well.

Unfortunately, HK's land is limited and the government has ended up reclaiming more.
Well in saying that what I meant was that Hong Kong's topography and geography forced Hong Kong to develop vertically, which provided more opportunities for architects to build the undoubtedly very iconic towers. Of course, Hong Kong's skyline would not be nearly as unique without some of the unique towers there which I believe rank among the best in the world.

The development of towers over 800 ft was because of the lack of land, I think, but it could not have been what it is without the backdrop of 7006, 600, 500, etc. ft towers to support the skyline (just look at LA, it's got great buildings, but they look like lonely pillars). Of course SYmphony of Lights is nice, but I think even without it HK's skyline is #1

The government has no choice but to reclaim land, or relocate to new towns, which keeps HK from having such a huge urban sprawl, because there are so many hills and mountains in the middle.

Old February 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1285
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17804

Quote:
I agree that Tokyo's urban area is vast. Los Angeles on the other hand can have the same effect except most o it's buildings are low-rise.
Visually it is not the same effect. Having a large urban expanse and having a large highrise urban expanse are very different things. I hardly think people get the same reaction looking at lowrise sprawl and highrise sprawl. Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo still have a significant number of highrises in their vast urban expanses (Tokyo has more midrises arguably).

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1286
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Hkskyline ~ I'm still not entirely sure what you're trying to prove...?
It has to do with the visual cues and building heights. A high vantage point tends to be a better reference point, and from these areas in Seoul, Shanghai, and Tokyo, it's very obvious that they have far larger urban expanses. In addition, since those expanses have a large number of skyscrapers, their skylines seem more 'full'.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1287
tigerboy

Likes (Received): 20

Hong Kong is the best skyline in Asia and in the world. More pure height than Chicago. More density than NYC, more pizzazz than anywhere, It is a unique experience. Shanghai etc may be exploding but as we speak HK is the single greatest thrill skyscraper lovers can get.

For me second best in Asia is Sydney which is superb.
tigerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:05 AM   #1288
paradyto
entendre privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerboy View Post
For me second best in Asia is Sydney which is superb.
Australia??? Not Asia.....
paradyto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM   #1289
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Well in saying that what I meant was that Hong Kong's topography and geography forced Hong Kong to develop vertically, which provided more opportunities for architects to build the undoubtedly very iconic towers. Of course, Hong Kong's skyline would not be nearly as unique without some of the unique towers there which I believe rank among the best in the world.

The development of towers over 800 ft was because of the lack of land, I think, but it could not have been what it is without the backdrop of 7006, 600, 500, etc. ft towers to support the skyline (just look at LA, it's got great buildings, but they look like lonely pillars). Of course SYmphony of Lights is nice, but I think even without it HK's skyline is #1

The government has no choice but to reclaim land, or relocate to new towns, which keeps HK from having such a huge urban sprawl, because there are so many hills and mountains in the middle.
That's the only thing, lack of land. If HK had alot of land I doubt that they could create the same skyline effect as of today.

As for it's iconic scrapers, it's also because of a vibrant economy and the city's position of being a financial centre in Asia. If HK had a poor economy, then the city's skyline may look different, probably not even have a skyline at all.

Another city that has a similar topography to HK is Rio De Janeiro. But Rio's skyline is not as impressive as HK's

Old February 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM   #1290
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
That's the only thing, lack of land. If HK had alot of land I doubt that they could create the same skyline effect as of today.

As for it's iconic scrapers, it's also because of a vibrant economy and the city's position of being a financial centre in Asia. If HK had a poor economy, then the city's skyline may look different, probably not even have a skyline at all.

Another city that has a similar topography to HK is Rio De Janeiro. But Rio's skyline is not as impressive as HK's
Skyscraper design is really dependent on the client and how much money they are willing to spend. Rich companies may not even be willing to pay an architect a huge sum of money for an out-of-the-world design. Even HSBC's world headquarters in London exhibits a more traditional boxy look.

Here in Hong Kong, 2 IFC and the Union Square supertall have more traditional designs. In fact, the Union Square supertall's magnificent crystal design was scrapped, although these two are key Grade A office buildings - symbolic of HK's economic success and strength.

Old February 21st, 2007, 05:46 AM   #1291
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Skyscraper design is really dependent on the client and how much money they are willing to spend. Rich companies may not even be willing to pay an architect a huge sum of money for an out-of-the-world design. Even HSBC's world headquarters in London exhibits a more traditional boxy look.

Here in Hong Kong, 2 IFC and the Union Square supertall have more traditional designs. In fact, the Union Square supertall's magnificent crystal design was scrapped, although these two are key Grade A office buildings - symbolic of HK's economic success and strength.
2-IFC's design is traditional but it's still impressive. The ICC may not be as impressive as the 2-IFC but still has a nice design.

The Crystal design is nice but it doesn't really match 2-IFC.

Old February 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM   #1292
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
2-IFC's design is traditional but it's still impressive. The ICC may not be as impressive as the 2-IFC but still has a nice design.

The Crystal design is nice but it doesn't really match 2-IFC.
The whole concept behind the harbour gateway plan was not to have matching buildings on both sides of Victoria Harbour. The plan was just to have two supertalls at the harbour opening. For some reason, the original crystal plan was dropped and a more traditional design was put in instead.

2 IFC is tall but architecturally it is nothing special or stunning or innovative. Functionally its high floorplates make it a very popular venue for banks, which sets it apart from the other skyscrapers in Central. I don't think any other building can accomodate as many trading floors all under one roof.

Old February 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1293
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The whole concept behind the harbour gateway plan was not to have matching buildings on both sides of Victoria Harbour. The plan was just to have two supertalls at the harbour opening. For some reason, the original crystal plan was dropped and a more traditional design was put in instead.

2 IFC is tall but architecturally it is nothing special or stunning or innovative. Functionally its high floorplates make it a very popular venue for banks, which sets it apart from the other skyscrapers in Central. I don't think any other building can accomodate as many trading floors all under one roof.
It's the same thing with WTC in NY. The WTC is not that impressive but it's one of the most recognizable scrapers in NY because of it's height and position. But the WTC as well had alot of office space.

Old February 21st, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1294
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

was I think you'll find...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM   #1295
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

my bad. Anyway, about the ICC, will it provide the same office space as the 2-IFC?

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:29 AM   #1296
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
It's the same thing with WTC in NY. The WTC is not that impressive but it's one of the most recognizable scrapers in NY because of it's height and position. But the WTC as well had alot of office space.
The driving factor is economical. The floorplates must be designed such that companies would want to lease and rent there. 2 IFC was popular with investment banks because it has trading floor capabilities on many floors, and with the stock market doing so well, expanding companies are fighting for space at Hong Kong's tallest.

Old February 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM   #1297
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The driving factor is economical. The floorplates must be designed such that companies would want to lease and rent there. 2 IFC was popular with investment banks because it has trading floor capabilities on many floors, and with the stock market doing so well, expanding companies are fighting for space at Hong Kong's tallest.
That means office space in the 2-IFC would be very expensive because of it's prime area. But I think these investment banks can afford such space.

Old February 21st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1298
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
That means office space in the 2-IFC would be very expensive because of it's prime area. But I think these investment banks can afford such space.
2 IFC was dirt cheap when it first came to the market at $20/sq ft. during SARS. It has since shot over $100. However, that is a general trend among Grade A offices. On the other hand, just because investment banks make billions of dollars a quarter doesn't mean they are willing to pay an extraordinary amount of money on expenses. They're always mindful of what they spend and where they spend it. Hence, even profitable companies may still shed workers and outsource to cheaper countries.

Old February 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1299
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
2 IFC was dirt cheap when it first came to the market at $20/sq ft. during SARS. It has since shot over $100. However, that is a general trend among Grade A offices. On the other hand, just because investment banks make billions of dollars a quarter doesn't mean they are willing to pay an extraordinary amount of money on expenses. They're always mindful of what they spend and where they spend it. Hence, even profitable companies may still shed workers and outsource to cheaper countries.
Just curious, is the tower right now fully occupied or are most of the floor occupied?

Old February 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1300
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

How are office space grades designated and classified?

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam