daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1421
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1284

And HK is famous for it's bay anyway, so I don't think they'll replace that for buildings.

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1422
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
And HK is famous for it's bay anyway, so I don't think they'll replace that for buildings.
You mean harbour That's what Hong Kong means, "fragrant harbour". Sadly, HK's harbour is slowly shrinking because of land reclamations especially along the waterfronts.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1423
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Land reclamation is by far the easiest way for Hong Kong to find usable land for buildings. Not only are there projects in Victoria Harbour, there are also recent projects for Disneyland and a number of new suburbs (Tseung Kwan O, Shatin, etc.). There are now more restrictions when reclaimibg the main harbour, thanks to a growing citizen movement to save whatever is left.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1424
dattebayo
User lang

Likes (Received): 4

hongkong is the best skyline in asia followed by south east asian cities then the last one will be dubai.
dattebayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #1425
Insanedriver

Likes (Received): 2

dubai is last?
Insanedriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1426
dattebayo
User lang

Likes (Received): 4

i mean third

1. hongkong
2. s.e. asian cities
3. dubai- although they have supertalls, dubai is not that massive compared to the mentioned cities
dattebayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1427
Insanedriver

oh
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1428
bozhart
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 17

This pic was taken on Sunday which most of offices closed, so some office towers looked dark. The left part of pic (Mega Kuningan area) looks whitish caused by strong lighting of football stadium that came from below.

Jakarta skyline - scroll to the right!
bozhart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM   #1429
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shippuden View Post
i mean third

1. hongkong
2. s.e. asian cities
3. dubai- although they have supertalls, dubai is not that massive compared to the mentioned cities
Dubai's skyline is growing and there are alot of constructions happening. I think Dubai has the best skyline in the Middle East.

Dubai is not the only Middle Eastern city with an impressive skyline. Doha and Tel Aviv / Ramat Gan are rising as well.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM   #1430
marching
the art of sky

Yup, I think south east Asian cities will be the next Hongkong....

Wow, I like that Jakarta pic!!!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1431
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marching View Post
Yup, I think south east Asian cities will be the next Hongkong....

Wow, I like that Jakarta pic!!!
The only difference is, the middle class in most South East Asian cities can afford a nice house with a car, garden and a garage. In HK, you need alot of $$$ to have one.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1432
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Actually, cars are fairly affordable in Hong Kong. Even after taxes, they're not so expensive. Petrol costs about the same as in the UK. The key difference is people in Hong Kong don't want the additional baggage of owning a car. Finding parking in the city isn't always an easy thing to do, and with public transit so readily accessible point-to-point, the need for a car is greatly reduced. The high density also means services are always within walking distance.

Even houses are within range for middle class families. There are a number of village houses scattered around in the new towns, and they're not always far away from downtown either. There are a number of them in Shatin already, and the commute would be about an hour - quite typical.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1433
Insanedriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Dubai's skyline is growing and there are alot of constructions happening. I think Dubai has the best skyline in the Middle East.

Dubai is not the only Middle Eastern city with an impressive skyline. Doha and Tel Aviv / Ramat Gan are rising as well.
Yeah go doha!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1434
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

The picture from Jakarta is stunning, but I think that HK has still the best skyline in Asia
1. HK
2. Singapore (It's not so big, but i realy like the skyline)
3. KL
4. Shanghai
5. Dubai (but in 3 years it could be on the top of the list )
6. Manila
7. Bangkok
8. Tokyo
9. Jakarta
10. Osaka
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #1435
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

Different parts of Bangkok:

Silom/Sathorn skyline
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pratunam/Ratchadamri/Ploenchit skyline
image hosted on flickr

Sukhumvit skyline, pic by Barth (scroll)-->
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #1436
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, cars are fairly affordable in Hong Kong. Even after taxes, they're not so expensive. Petrol costs about the same as in the UK. The key difference is people in Hong Kong don't want the additional baggage of owning a car. Finding parking in the city isn't always an easy thing to do, and with public transit so readily accessible point-to-point, the need for a car is greatly reduced. The high density also means services are always within walking distance.

Even houses are within range for middle class families. There are a number of village houses scattered around in the new towns, and they're not always far away from downtown either. There are a number of them in Shatin already, and the commute would be about an hour - quite typical.
It's also according to what kind. Japanese cars such as Toyota or Honda are more affordable to the locals than the European ones. But still, you can find alot of European and even sports cars on HK streets.

Though affordable, I still find having a car inconvenient. Not just that but parking can be expensive as well. I think car are more a neccesity for those who live outside of the city centre or those in the farthest areas of The New Territories especially those living in the Sai Kung or Fairview Park area.

Old April 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #1437
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

wow, bankok has huge and beautiful skyline.
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #1438
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
It's also according to what kind. Japanese cars such as Toyota or Honda are more affordable to the locals than the European ones. But still, you can find alot of European and even sports cars on HK streets.

Though affordable, I still find having a car inconvenient. Not just that but parking can be expensive as well. I think car are more a neccesity for those who live outside of the city centre or those in the farthest areas of The New Territories especially those living in the Sai Kung or Fairview Park area.
The mass market Japanese brands are fairly cheap over the European luxury makers (VW, BMW, Mercedes) anywhere in the world. I suggest comparing models that market to a similar group of people (ie. the middle class).

Having a car is quite a significant convenience for families even if they live in the city. Taking the bus and train for a group of a few people can get very costly, and inconvenient if there are young children involved. Hence, the use of the car in Hong Kong is a lot more for leisure and rarely for work.

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #1439
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1284

Beautiful Bangkok.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #1440
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The mass market Japanese brands are fairly cheap over the European luxury makers (VW, BMW, Mercedes) anywhere in the world. I suggest comparing models that market to a similar group of people (ie. the middle class).

Having a car is quite a significant convenience for families even if they live in the city. Taking the bus and train for a group of a few people can get very costly, and inconvenient if there are young children involved. Hence, the use of the car in Hong Kong is a lot more for leisure and rarely for work.
You hit is spot on. Back in the day, when I was young was when my parents had a car, and they never take it out except for during the weekends, especially trips to Repulse Bay and Ocean Park as a child , where public transport was more tricky than within the city.

My uncles also have cars for a couple of reasons: 1) they regularly travel to the mainland for business, and 2) I have elderly grandparents in senior homes, so it is much easier and more convenient than even a taxi to have when we take them out.

European cars are quite costly in HK, I remember my uncle's 745 was HK$1,100,000 and his S-something (I forget) was 1,300,000, which is about twice the cost here. (He gave the S to my aunt because he didn't want to look like a limo driver

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam