daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #1441
Emirati_Girl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Now from my point of view..

HonG KonG..and Singapore

In 2015 .. Dubai .. ^_^

In 2020 My two lovely Emirates Dubai and Abu Dhabi..
Emirati_Girl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #1442
jansej

Likes (Received): 8

hongkong and shanghai... dubai is fast catching up~~
jansej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1443
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
You hit is spot on. Back in the day, when I was young was when my parents had a car, and they never take it out except for during the weekends, especially trips to Repulse Bay and Ocean Park as a child , where public transport was more tricky than within the city.

My uncles also have cars for a couple of reasons: 1) they regularly travel to the mainland for business, and 2) I have elderly grandparents in senior homes, so it is much easier and more convenient than even a taxi to have when we take them out.

European cars are quite costly in HK, I remember my uncle's 745 was HK$1,100,000 and his S-something (I forget) was 1,300,000, which is about twice the cost here. (He gave the S to my aunt because he didn't want to look like a limo driver
The only problem of taking your car to The Mainland is the driving system. China drives on the right side of the road.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #1444
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1288

Must be dark on the side facing the gulf.
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #1445
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17804

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
The only problem of taking your car to The Mainland is the driving system. China drives on the right side of the road.
There isn't a problem with driving a Hong Kong car into the mainland if you have the right license plate. You'll see 2 license plates on these vehicles, which include trucks and passenger cars.

A decade ago, Citybus even ran double decker buses straight from Hong Kong to Guangdong province.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1446
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
There isn't a problem with driving a Hong Kong car into the mainland if you have the right license plate. You'll see 2 license plates on these vehicles, which include trucks and passenger cars.

A decade ago, Citybus even ran double decker buses straight from Hong Kong to Guangdong province.
Yup you can have two plates but again, I'm more concerned on the driving system. I'm more used to driving the American way, on the right side.

In Asia there are three countries that drive on the right side of the road, China (including Taiwan), Philippines and South Korea.

Old April 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #1447
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Yup you can have two plates but again, I'm more concerned on the driving system. I'm more used to driving the American way, on the right side.

In Asia there are three countries that drive on the right side of the road, China (including Taiwan), Philippines and South Korea.
Actually, with the traffic culture in China, it really doesn't matter whether they are driving on the left, right, or different from Hong Kong. It's a mess, and everyone goes in and comes out of it somehow to reach their destination.

There is a whole stack of Asian countries that drive on the right. 3 is grossly incorrect. Just to name a few :

UAE - Dubai

Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City

Right click images to see the source.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #1448
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Actually, with the traffic culture in China, it really doesn't matter whether they are driving on the left, right, or different from Hong Kong. It's a mess, and everyone goes in and comes out of it somehow to reach their destination.

There is a whole stack of Asian countries that drive on the right. 3 is grossly incorrect.
Kind of like India... anyway, my uncles travel up to China very much, to discuss deals or oversee factories or something, I don't know exactly what.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1449
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Emerging skyscrapercity in Msia after KL. Most tall buildings are not clustered together but still I find Penang to have a very good skyline view...

image hosted on flickr

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #1450
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:

There is a whole stack of Asian countries that drive on the right. 3 is grossly incorrect. Just to name a few :
True about that. I haven't been to these countries or rarely pay attention to them. And I was more referring to Far Eastern Asian countries than those in the Middle East.

BTW, Looks like there are more of those who drive on the right side of the road.

Old April 10th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #1451
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

wow,Penang is very nice
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #1452
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

With island nations, I think its ok, otherwise it makes for hell if two countries, especially if people travel between the two often, switch sides. Imagine if Canada drove on one side, and the USA on the other...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1453
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
With island nations, I think its ok, otherwise it makes for hell if two countries, especially if people travel between the two often, switch sides. Imagine if Canada drove on one side, and the USA on the other...
I think its already hell for HK driving on the left side and China on the other. I would imagine Canada if they adapt British driving system. Canada is a commonwealth.

Last edited by Manila-X; April 10th, 2007 at 12:51 PM.
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1454
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I think its already hell for HK driving on the left side and China on the other. I would imagine Canada if they adapt British driving system. Canada is a commonwealth.
There's nothing wrong with Hong Kong having a different driving system than China. People don't drive their cars across the border typically anyway. That's why the rail checkpoints are bursting with people. Within Guangdong, the bus network is very well-developed, and people join package tours. Elsewhere in China, people fly out of Hong Kong instead.

Old April 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #1455
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
True about that. I haven't been to these countries or rarely pay attention to them. And I was more referring to Far Eastern Asian countries than those in the Middle East.

BTW, Looks like there are more of those who drive on the right side of the road.
China has a over a billion people and they drive on the right. From a population perspective, that dwarfs all the neighboring countries that drive on the left. Plus, there are way more than 3 countries in the Far East that drive on the right.

Old April 11th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #1456
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Hong Kong having a different driving system than China. People don't drive their cars across the border typically anyway. That's why the rail checkpoints are bursting with people. Within Guangdong, the bus network is very well-developed, and people join package tours. Elsewhere in China, people fly out of Hong Kong instead.
For now if HKers would like to reach Shanghai or Beijing, they have to fly. But I think China is improving its rail system and sometime in the future rail will be the method of travel.

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1457
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #1458
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Penang's skyline reminds me of HK. There was this Hollywood film, Return to Paradise which was shot in HK but portrayed Penang.

Old April 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #1459
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1288

One of ASEAN's BEST skylines. Penang.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1460
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Penang reminds me of Cebu. The only difference is Penang has more high-rises compared to Cebu.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam