daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #1741
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1286

I don't get it! Care to explain?

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #1742
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I don't get it! Care to explain?
Philippines has more Hokkien than Cantonese speakers. I always see Amoy promoted more than Guangzhou.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #1743
badguy2000

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
China is about 10 years more developed than India. India just started its urban development in a big way. She's catching up, but still needs some time.

Give India about 5-6 years, and you'll see some pretty impressive skylines -- not just in Mumbai
ten year? I don't think india in 10 years can be like China today .

the gap between India and China is much bigger than their per GDP shows.
even Mumbai's infrastructure is poorer than most Chinese ordinary cities.
badguy2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #1744
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
China is about 10 years more developed than India. India just started its urban development in a big way. She's catching up, but still needs some time.

Give India about 5-6 years, and you'll see some pretty impressive skylines -- not just in Mumbai
frankly speaking ,genenaly, india lag behind china for 20 years.but china lag behind USA for 50 years.
i mean china catch up USA'S 2007 living stand, needs 50 years or more.
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #1745
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

Likes (Received): 33

By per capita means then Yes! But at that time, Chinese gross economy will be 3-4 times of US.
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #1746
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

The West is not so familiar with what's happening in the world outside their sphere of influence, and East Asia is one of those black spots. Besides the media coverage on trade deficits, natural disasters, and war, people living in the West are not so aware of the rapid economic changes and how those are affecting people's lives and cityscapes. That's normal. I don't think people living in East Asia are fully aware of what's happening in the West either.

China has a lot of cities with large populations. There are a number of threads in SSC with pictures showcasing some of these lesser-known locales with huge skylines.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #1747
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The West is not so familiar with what's happening in the world outside their sphere of influence, and East Asia is one of those black spots. Besides the media coverage on trade deficits, natural disasters, and war, people living in the West are not so aware of the rapid economic changes and how those are affecting people's lives and cityscapes. That's normal. I don't think people living in East Asia are fully aware of what's happening in the West either.

China has a lot of cities with large populations. There are a number of threads in SSC with pictures showcasing some of these lesser-known locales with huge skylines.
I think there are alot of people in East Asia knows what's happening in the west especially those from Japan and South Korea. Mostly on pop culture

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #1748
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I think there are alot of people in East Asia knows what's happening in the west especially those from Japan and South Korea. Mostly on pop culture
There's a lot more to the world than pop culture. If people just know about culture, then they wouldn't know much about what's happening on the ground at the originator.

Both Japan and Korea are fairly insulated countries. They're aware of the news, but the language barrier makes cross-cultural understanding difficult. For example, English is not widely spoken or known in either country.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1749
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
There's a lot more to the world than pop culture. If people just know about culture, then they wouldn't know much about what's happening on the ground at the originator.

Both Japan and Korea are fairly insulated countries. They're aware of the news, but the language barrier makes cross-cultural understanding difficult. For example, English is not widely spoken or known in either country.
Yes English isn't widely spoken but alot of westerners go to either Japan or Korea to teach the language. Koreans on the other hand move to ASEAN countries to learn English which is cheaper. Philippines being the most preferred destination and Indonesia, 2nd.

Old June 13th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1750
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Yes English isn't widely spoken but alot of westerners go to either Japan or Korea to teach the language. Koreans on the other hand move to ASEAN countries to learn English which is cheaper. Philippines being the most preferred destination and Indonesia, 2nd.
This is not about learning English, but rather the insultation of cultures despite globalization due to the language barrier. Notice both of these markets are big enough to sustain their own large companies that are able to survive domestically and expand internationally.

Old June 14th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #1751
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
This is not about learning English, but rather the insultation of cultures despite globalization due to the language barrier. Notice both of these markets are big enough to sustain their own large companies that are able to survive domestically and expand internationally.
That's true and Japan and South Korea have some of the largest corporation in the Asia Pacific region.

Old June 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #1752
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
That's true and Japan and South Korea have some of the largest corporation in the Asia Pacific region.
I find Japan more influenced by the Americans culturally while Koreans are influenced due to the military presence (although the Americans do have a military presence in Japan, albeit with a certain amount of tensions). However, despite the huge corporate might in both countries, the result is not a sea of skyscrapers. Normally, financial institutions are the major drivers behind skyscrapers, but Japan has a lot of large banks yet they don't have very tall skylines. Korea has a lot of industrial conglomerates, so I don't see as big of a need to build a skyscraper HQ. Factories and research labs don't need to be 60 stories tall.

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1753
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i LOVE this one................

MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1754
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

yeah...Chonhqing has great towers, but just like i said on today's banner thread...the pic itself is a bit to dark and not so clear... but okay all in all
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1755
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

NO WAY!!! how China could ever built those massive skyscrapercity within 20 years?!
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1756
shrekroma
TH

Likes (Received): 8

I think they can if they want to.
shrekroma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #1757
FrancisXavier
long live...

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkoshbgood View Post
NO WAY!!! how China could ever built those massive skyscrapercity within 20 years?!
why not?
FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #1758
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
I find Japan more influenced by the Americans culturally while Koreans are influenced due to the military presence (although the Americans do have a military presence in Japan, albeit with a certain amount of tensions). However, despite the huge corporate might in both countries, the result is not a sea of skyscrapers. Normally, financial institutions are the major drivers behind skyscrapers, but Japan has a lot of large banks yet they don't have very tall skylines. Korea has a lot of industrial conglomerates, so I don't see as big of a need to build a skyscraper HQ. Factories and research labs don't need to be 60 stories tall.
Alot of high-rises in Japanese and Korean cities are mostly residential. Both countries have built high density housing estates in major cities such as Tokyo or Seoul. More called Danchis in Japan.

Old June 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #1759
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Constructions:China vs SE Asia

null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1760
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I won't be that surprised if China's construction is greater than of ASEAN cities. China's cities are dense.

Tags
asian, beijing, busan, chongqing, colombo, danang, dubai, guangzhou, hanoi, hong kong, jakarta, kolkata, kuala lumpur, manila, mumbai, osaka, penang, saigon, seoul, shenzhen, singapore, skyline, tashkent skyline, tokyo, vietnam