daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2016, 08:43 AM   #1
rob in cal

Likes (Received): 8

European cities/town beautiful for buildings and nature

I think the towns and cities of Europe that integrate both beautiful natural surroundings, like forested hills, lovely parks and gardens within the city/town itself, or a nice lake shore, sea coast or river, with their nice buildings and architecture; these cities or towns are extra special.
Some towns that I can think of that qualify might be Lucerne and Thun in Switzerland. In Germany, maybe some of the Harz/lower Saxony region towns like Goslar or Quedlinburg. I haven't been there but they look nice, and well integrated into their surroundings. Or Lindau, right on the Bodensee. I haven't travelled much outside of German speaking Europe but would like to hear other ideas as well.
rob in cal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:52 PM   #2
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

The best mix of urban and natural that comes instantly to my mind is in Edinburgh.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

In Praise Of Dirty, Sexy / Boring Cities

franciscoc liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #3
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

Freiburg im Breisgau.

bron: Wikipedia

Nijal liked this post
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 02:49 PM   #4
keliautigera

Likes (Received): 631

All three capitals of the Baltic states are beautiful for buildings and nature: Tallinn, Riga, and Vilnius.
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

I would recommend Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo. In the case of Helsinki you have a dense urban city located on a beautiful peninsula surrounded by hundreds of islands as well as endless horizon. Going north you can reach untouched nature very quickly - even within the city itself there are forests, cliffs and lots of water.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7401

Meißen, Saxony

http://sachsenfotografie.de/unterweg...allery/300/181

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100820...66793/sizes/l/
Old January 23rd, 2017, 09:47 PM   #7
john cleese

Likes (Received): 72

Munich, Germany

A real gem in the middle of Europe Munich: Nymphenburg, Residenz, Marienplatz... Castles, world-class museums, churches, triumphal arches, sculptures, beautifully ornamented facades, wide avenues, large and tranquil parks. Full of history and architecture and yet modern and vibrant. Munich has it all. In clear day you can see the Alps.

erbse liked this post
john cleese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #8
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Besides a lot of beer and some nude bitches at Eisbach, Munich has nothing to offer in comparison to Berlin or Hamburg. Don't be fooled!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #9
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57873

^ Ah come on, what a farcical statement is that? Of course Munich has loads of visitor attractions to offer, you can easily spend a week or two without getting bored.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

john cleese liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #10
john cleese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
Besides a lot of beer and some nude bitches at Eisbach, Munich has nothing to offer in comparison to Berlin or Hamburg. Don't be fooled!
Well obviously everyone has his/her priorities. Last time a was in Munich I had a nice time and I even did not taste beer at all. Or maybe once. I visited many cities around Europe and North America so I can compare. Munich has by far the best mix of history and modernity, green spaces, quality of urban transport, wide spectrum of cultural offer, etc. I made the above film in just a few days in two visits and it could have been 40 min long easily. There are virtually hundreds of beautiful Bavarian cities, villages and lakes within an hour drive from M that would need months to explore properly. Which i intend to do some time. Also visited Stuttgart, Dresden and many surrounding villages. Berlin and Hamburg are on my agenda also, and I know these are both beautiful cities, but saying that "M has nothing to offer in comparison..." sounds a bit like overstatement. What is it that Berlin or Hamburg have and Munich doesn't?
Old January 28th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #11
geocluj

Likes (Received): 12

Speaking of German cities, I particularly love this ones:

Heidelberg

and

Nurnberg

tonttula, alexandru.mircea, erbse liked this post
geocluj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #12
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Munich doesn't seem to mix nature and city very much. Not that I'm saying it isn't a great city, just that it doesn't seem to fit the topic.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

===

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #13
john cleese

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
Munich doesn't seem to mix nature and city very much. Not that I'm saying it isn't a great city, just that it doesn't seem to fit the topic.
Have you seen the film in the post above?
In the very city center of Munich is Englischer Garten, Europe´s largest public park (size of 3,74 square kilometres) and one of the world´s largest urban public parks. The park and gardens around Nymphenburg Palace with its small castles, canals and a lake are one of the largest and outstanding pieces of garden art in Germany. Next to the 1,8 square km park is Botanic Garden (20 hectares 14 000 species).There are also Olympiapark, Maximiliananlagen, Pasinger stadtpark, Hirschgarten, Westpark, Southpark, Eastpark, Luitpoldpark, Bavariapark, Old Botanical garden, Hofgarten.....
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #14
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Yeah I don't think this thread is about parks, but maybe I got it wrong in the first place.

===

===

Old January 30th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #15
john cleese

Well, actually this thread IS about parks also. But not limited to parks of course. The title is European cities/towns beautiful for buildings and nature. First sentence of the first post goes "....towns and cities of Europe that integrate both beautiful natural surroundings, like forested hills, lovely parks and gardens within the city/town itself..... "
If the startrer of the thread wrote that, who are we to split hairs about what "nature" from the thread title means and what fits the topic. Of course that everything is about opinions. Some cities/towns have more beautiful buildings some less, but have more nature. How to limit what fits in the thread theme and what not. Is it better to form an opinion about the subject by seeing as many examples as possible or as few as possible. And what are the objective paramaters for decision. For instance, 3 out of 20 most polluted streets in Scotland where pollution breaches safety standards, are in Edinburgh, which is your favourite. And I didn't question your opinion.
Old January 31st, 2017, 12:02 AM   #16
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1652

Bardo Slaskie, Poland

erbse, FEJM liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:04 AM   #17
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by john cleese View Post
Well, actually this thread IS about parks also. But not limited to parks of course. The title is European cities/towns beautiful for buildings and nature. First sentence of the first post goes "....towns and cities of Europe that integrate both beautiful natural surroundings, like forested hills, lovely parks and gardens within the city/town itself..... "
Oh I missed that mention of parks in the OP, fair enough (my bad).

===

===

Old January 31st, 2017, 01:05 AM   #18
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7401

Dresden, Saxony

alexandru.mircea, soren5en, erbse liked this post
Saxonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9776

Bergen, Norway.

Noruega: Bergen by Julian Ocón, on Flickr

Colourful Heritage by Jonathan Reid, on Flickr

IMG_8244 by jechstra, on Flickr

nordnes20juni2013-38 by Robin Strand, on Flickr

http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/55058221

Norway 2013 by Michael Bluschke, on Flickr

Sandviken in Bergen by Jens Rongved, on Flickr

erbse, soren5en, 0095914, Bosi, Union Man and 2 others liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:49 PM   #20
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57873

^ Norway naturally has some really scenic cities and towns, actually most of them are!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote