daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #41
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

That awkward moment when you realize that we should've called this thread Neo - Futurist Architecture. We thought it's just easy to say 21'st and there you have it only new stuff. By this logic Skopje 2014 and Dresden's new market (or whatever) and even Dubai also fit this thread. Pity that some people just can't understand that bricks are a thing that was already seen in the centuries long long...long ago. The 21st should stand for something new and completely different stuff. But some people are just stuck in the past!
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #42
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9772

I thought this thread was only meant to showcase architecture we liked from the 21st century like the opening post explicitly asks for. I had no idea you posted what you did just because you thought wood, steel and glass were innovations of the current century nor did I realize that you had taken ownership of this thread.

To some degree you are right in that figuratively I do live in the past. I want cities and buildings that are built with human scale in mind, with high level of fit and finish and in interesting and lasting designs, and everything I posts here do meet those criterion at some level. I no problem recognizing that these are not virtues that are currently in vogue in the architectural world which is why I find it even more important to celebrate what is built with those values in mind. It does saddens me thought the pejorative way you describe taking inspiration from the pasts as I do not believe disregard everything from the pasts due to a dogmatic belief in a ever-changing definition of progress will produce much worthwhile. It is also somewhat ironic to use as a insult in a thread and forum dedicated to already designed architecture where people by definition are looking to the past in order to show these designs.

But fine, I can leave this thread to derivative glass boxes and swoopy, copy-and-paste "star architecture" and rather make a own thread dedicated to creative, human-scale, high quality buildings if they are not wanted here.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #43
Architecture lover

Oh stop it please, for once! There isn't a thread about modern architecture that's not spoiled by users from central and north European countries. Okay! We understood. You've lost most of your heritage during that terrible war, but other European countries did not. For example Spain, or France, or Italy. So I'm actually begging: do not spoil this thread with such posts!
Neither did I said that I took ownership of this thread, nor am I trying to do so. In case you didn't notice most of the Asiatic examples were neo futurist, just like some western European examples, that's why I reacted.
You can take your brick examples in your "High quality 21st century architecture" thread, you can even post hilarious Dresden over there (with 'quality' materials). After all, please stay in the past! No one is telling you that you shouldn't do so. Other European countries will not! Nether will Spain, nether will UK, nor will France! Stop spoiling every contemporary architecture thread with you critical regionalisms! And finally: there will always be people who admire real contemporary architecture and glass, and steel and all that modern stuff! Deal with it!

I'll ask the mods to rename this thread into "Neo-Futurist Architecture" since most of the examples posted showcase the 21'st century futurism.
To respect the very few examples who were not neo futurist, I'll actually ask for renaming the thread: Futuristic 21st Century Architecture.
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #44
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9772

And I have already done so. I will not post anymore in this thread and you can continue your glass-and steel- carouse on your own.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #45
Architecture lover

Thank you!
Old April 7th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #46
Architecture lover

Now, that the obstacles in perceiving this thread and its material so far, are successfully removed, feels like great time to continue the only thread in SSC where it is not allowed to post with dogmatic 11th century attitudes. This thread should represent the bastion of Futurism instead.

And is there a better way to continue than with the magnificence of Shanghai Tower?
The Shanghai Tower is a 632-metre (2,073 ft), 128-story megatall skyscraper in Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai. As of 2015, it is the world's tallest building, by height to highest usable floor (Level 127, 587.4 m). It also has the world's highest observation deck within a building or structure (Level 121, 561.25 m), and the world's fastest elevators at a top speed of 20.5 m/s (74 km/h).
Designed by international design firm Gensler (headquartered in San Francisco), with Marshall Strabala as Chief Architect of Shanghai Tower. Here's the article on wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Tower

Rippled Clouds over the City by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Hard Lines vs Smooth Curves by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Up close and personal with the Big 3 in Shanghai by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

LAOWA 7.5mm F2 MFT by LAOWA LENS, on Flickr

Shanghai city by Anek Suwannaphoom, on Flickr

Last edited by Architecture lover; May 12th, 2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:58 PM   #47
Architecture lover

The Bridge Pavilion, designed by architect Zaha Hadid, it was constructed for the Expo 2008 in Zaragoza (Spain) as one of its main landmarks. It is an innovative 280-metre-long (919 ft) covered bridge that imitates a gladiola over the river Ebro, connecting the neighbourhood of La Almozara (es) with the exposition site, and thus becoming its main entrance.
Hadid chose fibre glass reinforced concrete from Austrian company Rieder to envelope the bridge: she covered the outer skin of the building with 29,000 triangles of fibreC in different shades of grey. Little info from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Pavilion

Banderas puente by srgpicker, on Flickr

liquid engineering by kacam, on Flickr

Pabellón Puente, Zaragoza by Dan, on Flickr

AbidM liked this post
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #48
Architecture lover

Opera House, Harbin, China (2015), by MAD architects.
http://www.i-mad.com/press/mad-archi...n-opera-house/

Photo: Adam Mørk

Source: https://divisare.com/projects/305894...in-opera-house

erbse, Axel76NG, AbidM liked this post
Old April 8th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #49
Architecture lover

The Museum of Tomorrow,Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (2015)

Museu do Amanhã by David Bank, on Flickr

Museum of Tomorrow-Museu do Amanha'. Rio de Janeiro by Stefano Ravalli, on Flickr

Museum of Tomorrow by Rodolfo Ribas, on Flickr

Here you can see the dynamic movements of the building.

https://youtu.be/oQoBOGBHJXU?t=43s

erbse, AbidM liked this post
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #50
GGJ16

Likes (Received): 2726

Torre Diagonal ZeroZero, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Completed in 2011, design by Estudi Massip-Bosch Architects (EMBA).

Axel76NG, Architecture lover, AbidM liked this post
GGJ16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #51
RandomDude01

Likes (Received): 103

like how you included an interior shot.

GGJ16 liked this post
RandomDude01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 11:24 PM   #52
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5083

Jaam Tower, Tehran, Iran (2015)