daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #1
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1820

TORONTO | 2 Carlton Street | 233m x 2 | 72 fl x 2 | Pro

Replacing this fugly clunker (built in 1959)

The project is situated adjacent to YC Condos (198m, U/C) and 475 Yonge Street (220m/160m, Pro)

Seoul_Korea, yeisson liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #2
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

I've always found that 60s building interesting; especially the podium which conceals above ground parking. I find the solid roof over the sidewalk pleasing too. I do like the proposal but can't help but feel we're losing some character and architectural layering here.

At the rate we're going there won't be anything from the 60s or 70s left in this city.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ThatOneGuy, Innsertnamehere liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #3
Elster

Likes (Received): 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always found that 60s building interesting; especially the podium which conceals above ground parking. I find the solid roof over the sidewalk pleasing too. I do like the proposal but can't help but feel we're losing some character and architectural layering here.

At the rate we're going there won't be anything from the 60s or 70s left in this city.
Toronto, as I remember it, has many plots in which there are much shorter buildings, two, three stories, this is a decent size building, decent-looking as I see it, I don't see why the hurry to bring it down there are many others first priority buildings In very good locations.
Elster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:02 AM   #4
isaidso
the new republic

Unfortunately developers build on lots they own and tend not to care about preserving good examples of architecture from various eras. The 9 floor art deco office building next to it will likely not survive much longer either.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #5
Aashiq
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1271

Quote:

I'm all for preserving good looking historical architecture but this building is nothing special and you can find them in abundance anywhere from Etobicoke to Scarborough. I work at an office in this building and would love for this to be replaced by these proposed skyscrapers.

roballan liked this post
Aashiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #6
Focalor

Likes (Received): 88

del

Last edited by Focalor; October 9th, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
Focalor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashiq View Post
I'm all for preserving good looking historical architecture but this building is nothing special and you can find them in abundance anywhere from Etobicoke to Scarborough. I work at an office in this building and would love for this to be replaced by these proposed skyscrapers.
Perhaps you could back that statement up with an abundance of examples. That would be very helpful in supporting your claim.
Old October 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

I don't recall too many examples of it in Etobicoke, Scarborough and NONE in downtown Toronto. I'm not sure how that counts as abundant.

I'm sure a lot of people with no respect for a city's architectural inventory have no qualms about taking this building down. What's considered good looking today will be considered ugly by a future generation. If that's allowed to go unchecked NOTHING will ever survive if it doesn't conform to current tastes.

In 40 years they'll be calls to take down ICE Condos or Bay-Adelaide because they're 'ugly' and the current generation will be gobsmacked .....that is almost a guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashiq View Post
I'm all for preserving good looking historical architecture but this building is nothing special....
What 50s/60s brick office tower buildings in Toronto do you like? I sense that it's this aesthetic that you don't like and therein lies the problem. You don't find that architecture attractive so are willing to have it obliterated from the urban fabric of this city.

What you're really saying is that you're only in favour of preserving historic architecture if you have an appreciation for it. If you don't like certain eras of architecture it's ok to destroy it. That type of thinking led to the loss of the majority of our pre-war buildings.

Last edited by isaidso; October 10th, 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old October 10th, 2016, 06:59 PM   #9
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Yeah they shouldn't tear this building down. Restore it, yes, but there's a lot of unsalveageable single-story buildings that could be replaced before this.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #10
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Yeah they shouldn't tear this building down. Restore it, yes, but there's a lot of unsalveageable single-story buildings that could be replaced before this.
Judging by development in Toronto the last few years the best we can probably hope for is the total take down of this building and a partial recreation of what it looked like on 2 sides. We'll get a nod to the past but the actual building will end up at the city dump.

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #11
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Exactly. There's no need for this.

Although I can't say I'm crazy about the new proposal either, although mainly because I hate twins and don't want to see any more for a long time.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #12
Victoria123

High-res renderings

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:00 AM   #13
isaidso
the new republic

I like these towers but don't want to lose the 1959 structure.

Old October 17th, 2016, 02:13 AM   #14
Victoria123

Quote:
I like these towers but don't want to lose the 1959 structure.
I guess they could have done something like NYC's 1 Manhattan West project.

Old October 19th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #15
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Having seen all the other Toronto proposals the last years, all I can think is these look typical Toronto.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #16
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Having seen all the other Toronto proposals the last years, all I can think is these look typical Toronto.
Almost every city has its "typical" architecture.
But I agree to your sentiment that this is just another tall building which was almost saved by the balconies.
We have some amazing architecture that are in the planning stages as well (eg. Mirvish and Gehry towers)
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Al-Z

Likes (Received): 43

It's not a bad proposal, but the element of twin towers just doesn't suit the location. The 2 towers are too close to each other. I think it's best this proposal gets rejected by city council, and instead there should only be 1 tower on this site. What are your thoughts.
Al-Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #18
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Z View Post
It's not a bad proposal, but the element of twin towers just doesn't suit the location. The 2 towers are too close to each other. I think it's best this proposal gets rejected by city council, and instead there should only be 1 tower on this site. What are your thoughts.
Yonge street need a rejuvenation and this project will begin that.
Did you see how ugly is yonge street and the condos towers popping around this street(except 1 Bloor and 1 yorkville).
The twins towers must be approved to modernize Yonge street.
Believe me folks,this project is better designed than 99 % of condos .
If it not approved,it will be another big loss for Toronto.
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #19
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 894

god yes, Yonge is ugly indeed south of Bloor at least

enrigue8 liked this post
Balkanada está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:26 AM   #20
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Unfortunately developers build on lots they own and tend not to care about preserving good examples of architecture from various eras. The 9 floor art deco office building next to it will likely not survive much longer either.
The building next door is the Toronto Hydro building (publicly owned) - and heritage designated, so it probably won't be developed too soon.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote