daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #681
el_hoffmann

Likes (Received): 245

Visit to Los Libertadores Repair and Depot Complex - L3
26/07/2017

Hi! I think it's my first time posting in this particular thread. I'm part of the Chilean SSC community, and have been for some time visiting some of Metro's new projects, such as Lines 6 and 3, and posting extensive informs on what I see and learn on those visits. One particular place I've visited a lot has been Los Libertadores Repair and Depot complex, which will be the future HQ of the L3, due to open in 2018. This was my third (and last) visit to that place, which was hosted by the Facebook group "Curiosidades de Nuestro Transporte Subterráneo (Amigos de Metro)" ['Curiosities of our Underground Transport' (Friends of Metro)] along with Metro's PR department. Right below you can find the posts I made for my other two visits to this very same place, as well as the original post which I hereby translated and adapted, all three of them in Spanish and posted in the corresponding Chilean thread (If you have any doubts with them, I'll be glad to answer any questions!). You can also visit my Flickr page and simply browse through the photos. As I don't own a professional camera yet, all the photos shown here and in the previous posts were taken with my Xperia Z3 phone.

My prior visits

First visit - 09/06/2016

Second visit (station only) - 13/08/2016

Third visit (original in Spanish) - 26/07/2017

With all that said, let's plunge into the new maintenance complex:

DSC_0006 by Andreas Hoffmann, en Flickr

The entrance is located in El Molino 2021, a street parallel to the Américo Vespucio highway/freeway, which loops around Santiago and acts as an urban belt. The idea was to walk around the facilities in an anti-clockwise manner, starting with the repair shops and ending at the depot. This is the view that greeted us upon arrival.

West test track, visible from the street.

Access checkpoint. All the buildings which will soon hold offices and other workspaces are still empty. I quite liked the design of this particular guardpost, and we all loved the Metro logo At the left you can already see the depot.

The landscaping is quite simple, even a bit spartan at times, but I think it matches perfectly the overall fashion and design of the facilites.

HQ building. David, Metro's PR liaison with our group (who was also present in my previous visits), told us that copper-coloured décor will be the signature for the future style of the L3. That's why they wanted the HQ's design to match that of the future stations.

In the distance, the repair shops. They look (and obviously are) huge.

Here you can see a level crossing with a track that conects the depot railyard with the west test track, shown in the second photo above. The connecting track has a distinct 'S' shape.

A couple of multipurpose covered sidings. You can see a Hi-rail digger and a Trackmobile.

(I quite like how the new concrete slab for the tracks looks)

The pair of sidings merged together right behind the shed, in order to form the unloading zone. The trucks/lorries, carrying the new trainsets, pulled up here, just below the crane, which in turn lifted the new cars. Then the truck moved out and the crane lowered the cars onto the track. Finally, the Trackmobile seen in the previous photo shunted the cars into the depot.

Warehouses.

Lateral view of the new repair shops. I love how they look, very modern and stylish.

Main hall of the repair shop. It's immensely vast, and can hold up to 44 cars simultaneously. The sections, from left to right as seen in the photos, will be the following: general checks, rooftop repairs, underside repairs and detailed repairs (here the trainset will be split into single cars).

Rooftop repairs section. Here all the systems located on the roof of the train (pantographs, AC, connections, etc.) will be checked and subsequently repaired

I could even step onto the hanging platform. Quite the view up there:

Right beside the rooftop section are the checking trenches/pits. That red thing was a ramp used by the President herself a few weeks ago when she paid a visit to this very same complex and re-announced the future extension of the L3 to Quilicura (west of Los Libertadores).

That's me.

This particularly big hole will hold a lathe for the wheels, which hasn't arrived yet. It's located on the northernmost end of the repair shops, where the tracks form the corresponding railyard for this section, making a total of 2: the repair railyard, and the depot railyard.

Once again in the open, we started walking through the depot railyard. To the left you can see the second (east) test track. The track going down will be the link between the whole complex and the main line. This is the very same tunnel I walked during my first visit, just after the main structural works were finished (there wasn´t even lighting, so we walked in pitch-black darkness). It was quite shocking to see how much progress was made between visits.

How it was during my first visit:

A more detailed view. You can just make out the steel liners, but the concrete hasn't been poured in yet, so it looks as if the rails were floating.

View to the depot, in the north end of the facilities and right beside the main entrance.

Mobile platform, used to check on and repair the overhead wires.

Me, again.

This particular shot was very impressing to compare. What I saw during my first visit was a plot of land full of mud and a couple of tracks laid down, but now all of that had turned into a modern, spotless railyard.

Before:

After:

And now, the moment we were all waiting for: the depot!

Even though there has been some issues with tresspasing and graffiti (hence the black tarp covering some parts), the trains look ready to roll.

I was quite happy to finally see the trains up close. This was my last chance to do so. As a reminder, they were built by the Spanish firm CAF (Series name: AS-14). Each trainset consists of 5 cars and they'll all be driverless. Lines 6 (due to open around September this year) and 3 will be fully automated, right from the credit-charging machines (tickets are no longer being sold in the network) down to the operation of trains.

You can also appreciate the size of the depot, capable of holding almost the entire fleet at once.

As I already said, even though there were some damaged trains, I loved how the entire, brand-new trainsets look when they're stored together. They look powerful, swift and gracious (although there's still some debate going on over the frontal design). It felt almost like lining up all of your scale locos just to appreciate them. Whithout a doubt, the best possible ending for our visit.

Long story short, the whole complex is almost finished, and there's even some action going on on the tracks. The power lines aren't live yet, so all the tractive effort is being made by Trackmobiles, but that's still a powerful sign that the L3 is on the final stretch. There are still some details to consider, like the empty offices and a bit of machinery, but everything important is in place (or ready to be placed). I was really impressed to see how much progress was made between my first visit and now, as what was a heavy construction zone became a world-class and almost fully-operating maintenance complex. As soon as you enter you can see that Metro spared no expense in building of one of the most important repair shops in the whole network (and the biggest, btw). At times it felt like being inside one of Alstom's or Siemens' corporate videos

Some extra bits of info:

-The whole complex is expected to enter service later this year, in October. It seems the rules will forbid further visits once it's active, so there's the chance that this was the last civilian visit to the facilities. Time will tell, though.

-The Los Libertadores station works, on the other hand, are going full steam ahead. They are due for August, and it'll be the first station to be finished, which in turn will serve as an example for the rest of the stations in the line.

-As a safety measure, there's a kennel which opens at night. I don't know if it will fully solve the trespassing issues, but if I were a member of a graffiti gang, I wouldn't like to get up-close and personal with one of the dogs (I'm not very fond of dogs anyway, so maybe that explains it )

And now, a personal note: at the beginning I said this was my last post regarding the visits to Metro's new projects. I'm happy to announce that after almost 3 years of planning I'm moving to Germany in order to study Railway Engineering. It's always been one of my dreams (maybe you've already noticed I'm quite the fan of everything that runs on rails), and I'd like to thank the whole SSC community, as this forum has not only been a great space to learn and discuss new ideas regarding urbanism, architecture and of course mass transit, but has also helped me keep pushing on as I've learned tons of stuff from (and also met) people with whom I share a common goal: make all the great ideas we have discussed here happen, and help build a better, more sustainable and more efficient transport system for our cities. I'd specially like to thank Mario (@Mariosantiaguino), who apart from being the first forumer I met (and who I now consider one of my closest and best friends), has always been an inspiration with his wonderful ideas and experience during this last years

Thanks for reading my post! I'll keep sharing and discussing with you, albeit now from the Old World.

Bye!

Last edited by el_hoffmann; July 29th, 2017 at 05:36 PM.
el_hoffmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #682
IERS

Likes (Received): 460

A few videos about the commuter rail

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
IERS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:24 PM   #683
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Likes (Received): 11501

Cerrillos station

17 de agosto

fuente
Mariosantiaguino está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:29 PM   #684
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Los Leones station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryambakam View Post

dimlys1994, Nerone.Au, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:30 PM   #685
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Los Libertadores station (L3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by animetales View Post
Buenas Tardes

Después de mucho tiempo sin traer avances, vuelvo con nuevos avances ahora de la linea 3.
Esta es la estación Los Libertadores, es por lejos la estación mas avanzada de toda la Linea.

mañana subiere mas de Vivaceta

Saludos

luk4ss, dimlys1994, Dichtefan, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 24th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #686
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Bío Bío station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba90 View Post

Seba90, dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 30th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #687
Seba90
Por aquí y por allá...

Likes (Received): 3997

Estadio Nacional station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzer0x View Post
Avances Estación Estadio Nacional L6

Créditos: @182fsf
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #688
Seba90
Por aquí y por allá...

Views from the outside of Line 6 stations, soon to be opened:

Cerrillos

Lo Valledor

Presidente Pedro Aguirre Cerda

Franklin

Bío-Bío

Ñuble

Estadio Nacional

Ñuñoa

Inés de Suárez

Los Leones

Old September 9th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #689
Seba90
Por aquí y por allá...

Ñuble station (Line 6) on late August
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dany Darko View Post
Estación Ñuble L6 a fines de Agosto.

Creditos.

Seba90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #690
Seba90
Por aquí y por allá...

Stations Los Leones, Ñuñoa and Cerrillos some days ago:

Quote:
Estación Los Leones.

Metro Los Leones Línea 6- Santiago, Chile
by RiveraNotario, en Flickr

Metro Los Leones Línea 6- Santiago, Chile
by RiveraNotario, en Flickr

Estación Ñuñoa.

Estación Cerrillos.

Créditos.

Estación Bio-Bio Caf Thales AS-14 en pruebas.

Old September 29th, 2017, 01:18 AM   #691
NoXi
Black Holes & Revelations

Likes (Received): 3213

Nice pics"!
NoXi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:21 AM   #692
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40775

For the first time, in Santiago, a Mercedes-Benz Citaro bus is operating in a South American city. But, it is only a trial service.

Danny316, Zaz965, alex_lg liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #693
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Lo Valledor metrotren station

Is the our first interchange station between Metro and Metrotren (our suburban rail). The L6 of the metro is not open
yet, so only the train station is available.

Estación metrotren Lo Valledor by mario salinas, en Flickr

Change to L6

Simple, but pretty

Single train

Double train

Last edited by Mariosantiaguino; September 29th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #694
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Updates from Chilean Forum, posted by Dany Darko:

Cerrillos

Quote:

Lo Valledor

Quote:

Franklin

Quote:

Bío-Bío

Quote:

CAF Thales AS-14 trains

Quote:

Imágenes cedidas a mi persona para su libre uso.

Old October 9th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #695
Seba90
Por aquí y por allá...

A trip inside the new Line 6, beginning in Cerrillos station:

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #696
oscaldd
oscaldd

Likes (Received): 831

Impresionante-Amazing
oscaldd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #697
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

The Line 6 will be open to the public in november 2th.

Quote:
Una línea de estándar mundial

Trenes con conducción automática, puertas que reemplazarán los torniquetes y cámaras de vigilancia al interior de los vagones son parte de las novedades que presentarán las estaciones de la Línea 6 de Metro.

fuente

That information is in spanish, sorry about that, but it says the Line is a world class stantard. It has driveless trains, platform doors, speed gates instead of tripod turnstiles and cameras inside the trains.

Zaz965, dimlys1994, Montrealer liked this post
Old October 26th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #698
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Without any doubt Santiago has the best metro in south America!

Danny316, freiermann liked this post
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 06:43 AM   #699
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

L6 opens to the public
2/11/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by stencil View Post
Fotoreportaje con Mariosantiaguino

PARTE LOS LEONES

Tarde como siempre no pude llegar a la hora que abrieron la puertas en Los Leones, pero marito se adelanto a la apertura, menos mal porque me contó que fue una estampida que bajaba las escaleras de acceso...Entre la multitud lo identifique por sus llamativas poleras en las zonas de cargar asi que desde momento saque mi camarita amiga y empezamos a disparar como en los viejos tiempos

Los Leones L6 by Juan Fernandez, en Flickr

Mario Fantasma mode on

Metro L6 by Juan Fernandez, en Flickr[/SIZE]

Marito andaba en algún lugar ahí

Metro L6 by Juan Fernandez, en Flickr

HORA PUNTA

Igual se lleno la estacion Los Leones en su momento

Todos se reian por lo colapsada que quedó

mas delante otras estacioens
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:44 PM   #700
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1251

these new photos of the [finally!] newly inaugurated metro line should be on the next page, to separate them from this old and already heavily-loaded page.

looking good though. can't wait to try it next time i'm in santiago (who knows when that will be ).

BlackArt-ist liked this post
Iggui no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
buses, chile, metro, metro de santiago, santiago, santiago de chile, transantiago