daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #201
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

yarabundi @ SSP
Cityplace

Cityplace from Skydome

The suburbs are going crazy.........

Scarborough City Centre

360 by Tridel
35 floors | Topped Out

Equinox 1
37 Floors | Topped Out

Equinox 2
37 Floors | Topped Out

Updated Emporis Statistics

High-rise Building Statistics for Toronto

1,614 completed
138 proposed
106 approved
54 under construction
60 never built
7 demolished
1 on hold
1 under reconstruction

Last edited by Skybean; May 17th, 2005 at 03:20 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #202
partybits
partybits

Likes (Received): 2

Never seen a pic of Cityplace from inside the Skydome (errr...ummm Rogers). That looks amazing. It probably will look great at night time, especially when all 4 HV buildings are complete.
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #203
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by You are to blame

TORONTO IS REALLY COMING ALONG. WOW. LOOKS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING IN THIS PICTURE. SO DRAMATIC WITH THE CN TOWER DOMINATING AND THE CLUSTER EXPANDING AROUND IT.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #204
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

Also, no big news or render yet, but there are plans for a Shangri-La Hotel/Condo tower in Toronto.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #205
centralized pandemonium
Satyameva Jayate

Likes (Received): 13

Those guys at Cityplace can see the Blue Jays matches for free .

www.ironaddicts.com
centralized pandemonium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #206
Skybean
天豆

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainhoonna
Those guys at Cityplace can see the Blue Jays matches for free .
Ah.. only if the roof is open
Old May 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #207
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Beautifu place, GO Torontooooooooooooooooooo
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #208
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

has anyone heard of the new music hall of fame on dundas and younge?
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #209
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

The hall is going to be part of the oft-delayed Metropolis. They are taking around 70/80,000 square feet with a Yonge Street address. Just north of the Virgin Megastore and just south of HMV and Sam the Record Man... smart idea.

Anything that gets some new cement poured at that permanent lack of construction site is ok with me.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #210
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

BTW, here's an "in progress" future render that I posted elsewhere from a unique vantagepoint looking SW from Carlton/College to the lake.

The actual pano is larger and lots of projects still have to be added (glimpse of Signature, 4 towers of Pinnacle etc.). The Bay Adelaide site incorporates the old design for the commercial tower (likely to be redesigned) a fictional residential tower (rumoured to be at least this tall).

Sapphire is shorter than advertised but who knows if it will survive anyway.

SCROLL>>>>>>>>>>>

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #211
rise_against
Olde Guard

^Nice pic!!! Is there any render for the hall of fame yet?
I also heard that the Annex area residents are stopping development of a 30+ story condo. Does anyone have a render of that one?
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #212
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rise_against
^Nice pic!!! Is there any render for the hall of fame yet?
I also heard that the Annex area residents are stopping development of a 30+ story condo. Does anyone have a render of that one?
Well, here's the render of metropolis, the canadian hall of fame will be built in there:

And as for, 1 bedford road south, no I don't have the render but I hope they built it anyways.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #213
Travis007

Metropolis has halted construction for some time now but I hope they get back to building soon, this article says that it will open in summer 2007.

T.O. to house Cdn. music hall of fame

By ANDREA BAILLIE

TORONTO (CP) - Canadian music legends will soon be immortalized at a flashy music museum to be built in Toronto.

The city beat out nearby Hamilton to house the facility, the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) was poised to announce Tuesday. "When you think of a Canadian music hall of fame, it could generate a somewhat dusty image and that is very far from what we're shooting for. It's going to be very high-energy," Ross Reynolds, chairman of CARAS, said Monday.

"It will be much more interactive than the rock 'n' roll hall of fame (in Cleveland)."

The facility, expected to open in the summer of 2007, will be located at the bustling corner of Yonge and Dundas streets in the city's downtown core.

It is expected to span three floors of a 10-storey building already under construction that will also include a record store, stereo store, movie theatres and restaurants.

Peter Tillmann, president of Spinning Wheel Designs and project director for the Toronto bid, likened the complex to an "entertainment-style project similar to Times Square, New York."

"The outside of the building has been designed like a giant billboard," he said.

"If you can imagine a 10-storey-high billboard with, say, 18 different types of television screens and monitors and flashing lights and all kinds of bells and whistles."

Inside, the facility will take visitors "behind the scenes" of the music industry, Tillman said.

"There will be a lot of exhibits where people can interact and become their favourite musician so they can get into an editing suite, they can play an instrument, they can do some recording with their vocals, they can go in and see how instruments are made," he said.

For more than 25 years, CARAS has been inducting musicians and industry leaders into a hall of fame, but has not had a "bricks-mortar" base.

Five cities - Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Sault Ste. Marie - originally bid on the project. All other candidates eventually dropped out or were eliminated except for Hamilton and Toronto.

Reynolds said Toronto was chosen because it draws so many visitors.

"The overriding driving factor here was the location and the traffic and the dynamism of that particular location," he said.

Currently the hall exists in the virtual world only at www.juno-awards.ca. Each year new names are added at a ceremony folded into the televised Juno Awards.

The building is to be the Canadian equivalent to Cleveland's famous structure - designed by renowned architect I.M. Pei - only it won't be limited to those in the world of rock 'n' roll.

The project will cost about $40 million, with funds to come from corporate sponsors and the music industry as well as a mix of private and public sponsors.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #214
Skybean
天豆

yarabundi @ SSP

Canadian Opera House
Under Construction
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #215
rise_against
Olde Guard

Wow i cant wait 2 c what its gonna look like. Toronto needs a place like that!!!
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #216
rise_against
Olde Guard

Hey do any of you remeber the old Metronome Canada comercials? What became of that?
Skybeam do you have a render of what the finished Opera house will look like???
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #217
Skybean
天豆

Quote:
Hey do any of you remeber the old Metronome Canada comercials? What became of that?
Skybeam do you have a render of what the finished Opera house will look like???
I believe Metronome is still in the works. They need more funding though.

The finished opera house
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #218
rise_against
Olde Guard

^that looks nice but noithing outstanding. Have you been to torontomapleleafs.com and checked out there video on maple leaf's square? it looks really cool!!!
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #219
Travis007

Quote:
^that looks nice but noithing outstanding. Have you been to torontomapleleafs.com and checked out there video on maple leaf's square? it looks really cool!!!
rise_against, you should check out the Toronto Forums, must of your questions may be found somewhere in there, and the most recent projects can be found in there too: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumd...s=&forumid=280
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #220
Spoonman

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007
And as for, 1 bedford road south, no I don't have the render but I hope they built it anyways.
Don't be foolish. I'm all for developing highrises and expanding the skyline, but tearing down a charming, bustling retail corner to make way for an uninspiring condo is outrageous, and I'm glad the public outcry made the city think twice about approving the project. There are plenty of parking lots or empty spaces in similarly busy intersections that can benefit from this kind of development, but dammit Jim, I will not stand by as my precious crepe joint gets torn down!
Spoonman no está en línea   Reply With Quote