daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #241
SD

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman
Alright, here's the deal. I'm simply inherently suspicious of the proposal. Refer to my post above regarding the retail (or lack thereof) featured on Woodsworth's ground floor. I'm not a terribly huge fan of the architecture (but I admit that beauty is in the eye of the beholder), and the building is essentially dead at street level. Perhaps with time the rental space will see some tenants; I just hope it'll be something with a little more character than a convenience store or two.

Coming back to Bloor-Bedford, the current retail isn't as uninspiring as you claim. For every "generic" store you named, I can name at least another interesting one. I just hope that the proposed development won't become just another laundr-o-mat haven. I'll admit that I haven't seen the new plans, and I'm ready to embrace them if they prove as innovative and "smart" as you insist that they are. Hopefully, they'll also attract some interesting tenants to the area.

We'll see. I sincerely hope you're right and the development turns out to be fabulous. I'd personally like anything that takes some emphasis off the rather drab and unappealing (and currently dominating) OISE building.

I'd have to agree...those retail establishments may not seem like anything special but they serve the area well.

I assumed many of them, such as the Bedford Ballroom would get new spaces when the new building opened. But if there is no new retail or a less accessible selection, I'll be disappointed.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2005, 01:52 AM   #242
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Travis007

Height
158m

Floors
Old June 1st, 2005, 03:17 AM   #243
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

i like the building^ it has a older more classical feeling and i think it suites the area well.
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 03:45 AM   #244
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

Stunning.
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:35 AM   #245
Metroland

Likes (Received): 2

^ Indeed.
Metroland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:25 PM   #246
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

I wish the rendering was a little clearer but The Uptown looks like a class act. I love this wave of Neo-Deco going on. Another good example is 425 Fifth in New York City by Michael Graves ...

Old June 1st, 2005, 10:15 PM   #247
Mike in TO

Likes (Received): 0

Lokinyc - could you post another couple shots of that tower?
Mike in TO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:23 PM   #248
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

Here's some more of 425 Fifth avenue:

I like both the Uptown and 425 Fifth but I really don't see any resemblance between them other then them both beeing relatively slender buildings. 425 Fifth seems to be more of a modern building inspired by art-deco style while Uptown seems to be more of a classical 30's revival tower.

PS: the American radiator building in the foreground of lokinyc's pic is one of the ugliest buildings IMO. It's not so much the architecture but the colour contrast is just plain bad, black/dark brown and gold does not go well with each other in a building.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:43 PM   #249
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

I think it's tall, slender, and "somewhat" neo-deco I guess. Seeing who the developer is, I can't help but feel there may be a bit more sizzle than steak...I guess we'll find out.

For neo-deco, I really like Stern's version a block or so away...not all that tall, but at least we can be pretty certain it's gonna be very good looking.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:14 AM   #250
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

The Uptowne is a very handsome building. Wish we had some of those out here.
Web site?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:46 AM   #251
Skybean
天豆

The uptown site is not up yet..

http://www.pembertongroup.com/dispat...%20and%20Bloor
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:35 AM   #252
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18223

1 King West (May 22, 2005)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 06:19 PM   #253
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

1 King West looks awesome. So thin but so wide! I love it.
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:40 PM   #254
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

i only wish it didnt look so skinny from the lake. if it was 180 degrees turned its impact on the skyline would be much better
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 03:52 AM   #255
Skybean
天豆

Verve
(Approved)

Height
132m

Floors
Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:34 AM   #256
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

where will that be located?
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:29 PM   #257
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by You are to blame
where will that be located?
The Wellesley and Jarvis area. It's the wellesley hospital redevelopment.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #258
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Housing market still strong
Highest May sales on record, building permits up in April

TONY WONG
BUSINESS REPORTER

Despite a mature housing cycle that many analysts say is getting long in the tooth, the Toronto area's housing market shows continued strength, with another record-setting month that continues to defy expectations.

With 9,209 homes sold, last month was the strongest May on record for home resales, the Toronto Real Estate Board said in a monthly survey released yesterday.

May was also the second-strongest single month on record, down only 1 per cent from the record of 9,275 sales in June of 2004.

"May is traditionally the strongest month of the year for sales, and there is obviously still a very positive attitude about real estate out there," housing analyst Will Dunning said in an interview.

The short-term future for housing looks good in the Toronto Census Metropolitan Area. Residential building permits for April were up 4.1 per cent from March, according to figures Statistics Canada released yesterday.

The increase was entirely due to the multiple-unit sector, such as condominiums, which continue to be popular, despite warnings from some analysts that the sector may be overbuilt.

"In what may be a precursor to strong new-home construction numbers during May ... residential building permits roared back to life in April," RBC Financial Group assistant chief economist Derek Holt said in a report. "Every province registered an increase in residential permits ... reflecting the possibility of renewed strength in home construction."

Economists have been scrambling to explain why the housing market continues to do as well as it has despite nine years of strength.

"Good employment, rising disposable income as well as strong consumer confidence continued to stimulate the demand for new housing," said Statistics Canada analyst Etienne Saint-Pierre.

Solid economic conditions, in particular low interest rates, have contributed to the ongoing strength of the market, said Ted Tsiakopoulos, Ontario Regional Economist for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp.

"Interest rates have held steady over the short term and have drifted lower for the long term over the past month."

"Low interest rates have offset rising home prices, resulting in stable monthly carrying costs. When adjusted for inflation, the average monthly home payment has changed very little since the year 2000," said Tsiakopoulos.

Still, developers continue to see a demand for condominiums and smaller units rather than single detached housing, which is getting increasingly expensive.

The value of permits for multiple units in the Toronto area increased 32.4 per cent in April from March, while single detached housing permits were down 11.2 per cent.

A big drop in non-residential building permits of more than 50 per cent, mainly because of declines in hospital and government building, meant that total permits were down 25 per cent, to $818 million in May from $1.09 billion in March.

Nationally, the value of building permits fell 2.6 per cent to $5 billion in April.

"The non-residential sector continues to be hit by mixed economic indicators, though positive undertones have dominated recently," said Statistics Canada. "Canadian corporations continued to report record earnings in the first quarter of 2005 and, on the commercial side, retailers experienced their strongest quarterly sales increase in the first quarter in just over three years. On the industrial side, there have been concerns about rising finished-product inventories."

The average price for a resale home in the Toronto area rose 1 per cent in May, to $346,474 from April's $342,032.

The price was up 6 per cent from $325,501 recorded in May of 2004.

Analysts such as Dunning are forecasting a decline in sales in the second half of the year, and less robust price appreciation in homes.

"It certainly won't be a crash, but there will be a slowing down. The market will still be healthy, but it won't be as strong as what we're seeing," said Dunning.

A study by ReMax Ontario-Atlantic Canada released yesterday showed there has been an upswing in sales of homes costing more than $350,000 in the Toronto area in the first quarter.

Homes costing $350,000 and over represent about one in every four sales in the Toronto area, compared to one in five a year earlier.

The driving force, according to ReMax, are first time buyers who have skipped buying traditional "starter" homes and are buying more expensive homes.

"We're seeing a growing number of first-time buyers in this segment," said Michael Polzler, executive vice-president of ReMax. "These buyers may have waited longer to jump into the market, but when they do, they're making a more substantial purchase."

The strong housing sector has spilled over into other areas of the economy, said Statistics Canada. Retail sales in the furniture business in the first quarter were 3.4 per cent higher than in the last quarter of 2004.

Sales at building and outdoor home supply stores in the first quarter were 9.3 per cent higher than in the same quarter of 2004.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #259
Skybean
天豆

Picture Perfect

Last edited by Skybean; June 10th, 2005 at 10:47 PM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #260
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
Picture Perfect
when and where was that taken?