daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #21
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

^ Their are too many suburban commercial property in the toronto area for anyone to build massive commercial towers

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #22
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Here is a recent application for a +500ft office tower in downtown Toronto

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/legdoc...0330/it032.pdf
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #23
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

dp
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #24
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

"what is driving the TO boom?"

- pent up demand
- immigration
- renewed interest in urban living

Toronto is not Santa Barbara or the US for that matter -

our lenders are not only extremely cautious but mortgages here aren't tax deductable.

"You can count on one hand the amount of commercial office buildings going up."

And what's your point? There is little demand for commercial space here like in most of North America cities including Atlanta (the towers that are being built are due to unbridled competition moreso than the actually need for more space)
valantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:39 PM   #25
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

a main factor in the lack of commercial development in Toronto was the glut of space created in the early 90's when NAFTA killed off Toronto's garment manufacturing industry. The 'Fashion District' is located adjacent to downtown, and is a medium-density area with predominantly 5-10 story turn-of-th- century factories. These have all since been converted to a significant amount of office space (not sure of the number), and is a very desirable location (I happen to work in one of these buildings.... all wood beams, brick exterior). This excess of space helped made commercial development undesirable.

Local media has cited industry experts on several recent occasions; the word is that within a year or two commercial high-rise development will be in demand again.

Last edited by algonquin; March 29th, 2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #26
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

"(not sure of the number)"

~8 million square feet
valantino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #27
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
The only office building going up, according to Skyscraperpage.com's top 25 building's under construction is the Canada Life Center, which is around 300 feet.
True. There hasn't been a major office building downtown since the early 90s, unless you include a 20s, which I don't. The growth has been in the burbs, due to tax differences. If all burb growth happend downtown, there would be enough for 5 first cdn places. Downtown Toronto alreadh has the 3rd larges concentration per sq foot of office space in North America, the mass residential is what is needed in my opinion. Granted, I would love to see a huge office building go up, now is the defining point in Toronto's skyline. Instead of being a single purpose downtown like most US sunbelt skylines (where offices dominate), the residential is a balancing things out.s
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #28
1st Division Marine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i think Toronto need's to start bringing in the big time architects for building more commercial office buildings atleast at 50 stories high wow what a city it would look like then.
1st Division Marine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #29
G_DOG

Likes (Received): 1

^totally agree !
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #30
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

The difference between a condo tower and a office tower and how it appears in the skyline is that an office tower would have a much bigger impact. Just compare a pic with Toronto's new 1 King West condo tower (578 ft) and the surroundings of it. It's all tall and wide office buildings. You would notice it in the skyline, but it is much thinner and gets dwarfed. Also, Toronto's new Cityplace development (20 condo towers) west of the CBD is looking very samll in Toronto's skyline right now. The tallest is 49 Stories and just about below 500 ft. and you would probably not even notice it being 500 ft. If it was in Vancouver's skyline, which is mostly condo towers, it would probably look the tallest.

I would love to see more tall office towers in downtown Toronto. The tallest Toronto office building built in this decade is the 20 st. 347 ft. Maritime Life building. I hope that eventually Toronto will have an commercial space boom. There is already a rumor that Toronto's On Hold Bay-Adeliade project will return in the future as Toronto's tallest building. Toronto already has a few office towers approved but are just without main tenants like BCE Place III, 49 St. (could be somewhere in the 600 ft. range), Simcoe Place II 40 st. Richmond-Adelaide II, 41 st. 595 ft. 1 Union Plaza, 32 St. and 18 York St. 37 St. 449 ft.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:19 AM   #31
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Boom? The "boom" isn't great enough!

BTW: Don't forget cultural institutions i.e. Royal Ontario Museum/ Art Gallery of Ontario/ Ontario Science Centre as well as the major Airport construction going on right now.

Edit: Oh. And Are Be's favourite-- the Opera House

Last edited by Skybean; March 30th, 2005 at 05:26 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #32
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

I'm glad to see that the arts and science museums are thriving in Toronto. My late grandmother was on the board of the Royal Ontario Museum when it had to close in the 80's due to financial problems.

My only point in my first post was to point out that the boom going on in metro Toronto is in residential buildings. It's not a problem that there is little commercial construction going on. I'm actually kind of surprised that little commercial office space is being developed downtown, because I believe the vacancy rate is in the single digits.

Don't bash me for commenting on Toronto. I live in Atlanta, but a lot of my roots are in Toronto and I'm very pro-Toronto on this website. The only criticism I give comes from my desire to see Toronto thrive in a balanced way.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #33
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007
The difference between a condo tower and a office tower and how it appears in the skyline is that an office tower would have a much bigger impact. Just compare a pic with Toronto's new 1 King West condo tower (578 ft) and the surroundings of it. It's all tall and wide office buildings. You would notice it in the skyline, but it is much thinner and gets dwarfed. Also, Toronto's new Cityplace development (20 condo towers) west of the CBD is looking very samll in Toronto's skyline right now. The tallest is 49 Stories and just about below 500 ft. and you would probably not even notice it being 500 ft. If it was in Vancouver's skyline, which is mostly condo towers, it would probably look the tallest.

I would love to see more tall office towers in downtown Toronto. The tallest Toronto office building built in this decade is the 20 st. 347 ft. Maritime Life building. I hope that eventually Toronto will have an commercial space boom. There is already a rumor that Toronto's On Hold Bay-Adeliade project will return in the future as Toronto's tallest building. Toronto already has a few office towers approved but are just without main tenants like BCE Place III, 49 St. (could be somewhere in the 600 ft. range), Simcoe Place II 40 st. Richmond-Adelaide II, 41 st. 595 ft. 1 Union Plaza, 32 St. and 18 York St. 37 St. 449 ft.

All those building you mention would not impact the skyline nearly as much as a when cityplace would when finihed because they are all located in the same place as our current tallest buildings Even if Bay-Adeliade was to become the tallest in the city you would bearly notice it in the core. Cityplace is already have a big impact on the skyline eventhough it's about 1/4 done

Old March 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #34
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

Granted, Condo's don't impact the skyline in the typical skyline photos where the CN tower shrinks everything, but from ground level, ^ pic as an example, it does make a big difference.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #35
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

I'm so happy with the development that's going on in Toronto, but I truly agree, that we do need a few large office buildings.

Imagine how dense downtown will be if/when Trump Tower, Sapphire Tower and Bay Adelaide are complete. It must be one of the most dense downtown areas around.
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #36
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by You are to blame
All those building you mention would not impact the skyline nearly as much as a when cityplace would when finihed because they are all located in the same place as our current tallest buildings Even if Bay-Adeliade was to become the tallest in the city you would bearly notice it in the core. Cityplace is already have a big impact on the skyline eventhough it's about 1/4 done
Your right bay-Adelaide would be barely noticeably in the core, along with Sapphire and Trump. They would all be 1000 footers (excluding BA) but they blend ij with the existing tall buildings. That's why IMO, Toronto should build more tall towers where Simcoe Place is in the skyline pic you shown. Even if that's not quite where the business core is.

BTW: Cityplace won't have the only buildings in that area to impact the skyline. The space between the WPC (38 st.) and Cityplace will be soon filled up with buildings around the 30 stories range with projects like Malibu (33), the large scale Fort York tower project (10 towers or more), Tip Top II( 37 st.), Waterparkcity (5 towers), and Cityplace 20 towers.
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #37
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

1 King West

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:04 AM   #38
doady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
Nothing is wrong with residential buildings. I love them. We are going through a mini-boom in residential highrises here in Atlanta right now. My only point is that the building boom in Toronto is in only one area
There is a building boom in North York and Mississauga as well.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:04 AM   #39
Travis007

Great pics of a great buidling hkskyline!

I wonder how much better this building would look if the developer did not cheap out by making there more pre-cast than glass like the render of it showed.
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:38 AM   #40
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by doady
There is a building boom in North York and Mississauga as well.
When I said only one area, I meant one type of construction--residential. I wasn't talking about an area of town.

I've seen pics of North York's development, could someone post some pics of the development in Mississauga?
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote