daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #441
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Yeah this pano only goes from Sherbourne around to College (Radio City is the extreme right hand side).

Travis is right. The BA condo is a placeholder for the site (not announced yet) and Shangri-La design should actually look like .... Shangri-La ...elevation appears be similar to Vancouver, though this is taller @ 686'. I didn't see the recently released elevation when this was done.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #442
WinnipegPatriot

Likes (Received): 258

Take away the CN tower, and these look very tall. Of course, close up they appear taller but...
WinnipegPatriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #443
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

I think the tallest in that pic, HVE II (49 stories) is about equivalent to Vancouver's tallest, One Wall centre (490 ft.) But offcourse, match it up against CN Tower and the rest of the main cluster and its barely even noticeable.
Old September 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #444
WinnipegPatriot

Likes (Received): 258

Exactly. I think a cluster needs to be formed around Cityplace...and this will happen given the dozens of condos that will be built....
WinnipegPatriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #445
partybits
partybits

Likes (Received): 2

How many buildings in Cityplace will be over 400ft?
Signature 62 fl.
HVE I 40 fl.
HVE III 49 fl.
West One 49 fl.
N 41 fl.
Montage. 47 fl.
I'm guessing that will be it, and all future constructions will be under 400ft. Am I missing any?

All in all very impressive. A total of 6 buildings over 400 feet, with a bit more in the 300ft area.
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #446
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

T.O. office vacancy rates fall to 3-year low

By ELIZABETH CHURCH

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 Page B7

REAL ESTATE REPORTER

Vacancy rates in Toronto's prime downtown towers hit a three-year low in the third quarter, setting the stage for new development in the year ahead, a new report says.

"Serious discussions of new buildings are taking place, said Paul Morse, vice-president of office leasing for Royal LePage Commercial. "We will have at least one new building in the next 12 months."

In the most recent quarter, vacancy rates for Toronto's best-quality office space fell to 5.6 per cent from 6.1 per cent in the previous period, Royal LePage said. Vacancy rates for all classes of building in the downtown core was 8 per cent, down from 8.2 per cent.

The reduction in vacant space in the financial district led to lower rates in other parts of the city, including uptown at Bloor Street, the report said.

Talk of a new office project in Toronto has been building for most of this year. At least three groups have been busy showing plans for office towers to prospective tenants. There are three leading contenders:

Brookfield Properties Corp. is looking to revive its Bay-Adelaide site, likely in some kind of mixed-use format.

Cadillac Fairview Corp., the real estate arm of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, has plans for a tower by Roy Thomson Hall.

Privately held real estate firm Menkes Developments Inc. owns a site near the Air Canada Centre where it is looking to build new office space.

Mr. Morse said he will be very disappointed if no new office project is begun in the next year. "We need new product," he said.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #447
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Very good news about the low vacancies, I guess we will be hearing about a lot more projects pretty soon.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #448
Travis007

Here's the newest phase in Cityplace, Montage. According to Mike in TO, this is 45s plus mechanical floors.

To be honest, I don't like this tower much. The balconies, which appear to be red brick reminds me of some of the older 60-70's apartments.
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #449
elliot

Re: Signature @ 62 storeys

I suspect that John bentley Mays (Globe & Mail) dropped a substantial hint in a recent article... namely a 70+ storey Cityplace tower.

I suspect they will/are taking another run at approval for the "big one".
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #450
Travis007

Hopefully they re-designed it a bit to make it more distinguishable and make it 1000 ft. so there will be more balance between the Cityplace and MINT clusters.
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:29 AM   #451
fcarvall

Likes (Received): 6

I dont understand the point of this thread. We already know you guys have a much better country. Do you have to RUB IT IN OUR FACES?
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #452
Bertez

It is to keep Torontonians and others aware of new or changing projects.
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #453
Travis007

$100M for mental health centre
Province to announce transformation of Queen St. site
Overhaul aims to provide `one-stop shopping' for patients

ROB FERGUSON
QUEEN'S PARK BUREAU

The Ontario government will modernize treatment of mental health, drug and alcohol problems with a $100 million redevelopment of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, the Toronto Star has learned.

The money will be used to help patients get "one-stop shopping" for treatments at the centre's aging Queen St. campus near Ossington Ave., said a source familiar with the plan to be announced today. It will not only transform the centre but, "in doing so, transform the way we treat the mentally ill.

"If you had a mental health problem and an addiction, you'd be going to two centres in two parts of the city with two bureaucracies to deal with now," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

"If you're in that condition, that last thing you need is to be running all over."

The blueprint for the finished project calls for the Queen St. site's 11 hectares to become an "urban village" in its own right with a network of streets, buildings and open spaces instead of the current large building constructed in 1977.

Plans also call for the building of apartment-style, in-patient rooms to replace the existing hospital setting, making it easier for patients to integrate into society upon discharge, and eventually to bring in retail stores and restaurants to make the complex more a part of the inner-city streetscape and reduce the stigma of mental illness.

"It's not your classic One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest type of ward," the source said, referring to the Jack Nicholson movie that painted a bleak picture of mental health care.

The project and funding will be announced this morning by Public Infrastructure Renewal Minister David Caplan, in charge of financing hospital expansions across the province.

Caplan's spokesperson, Wilson Lee, declined comment yesterday but confirmed "we expect to be delivering some exciting news on mental health."

During the 2003 election campaign, the Liberals cited statistics that suggest one in five Ontarians will suffer mental illness at some point and promised to improve mental health care.

The expansion project has been in the works for a couple of years at the centre, created in 1998 by the merger of the Queen St. Mental Health Centre, the Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Addiction Research Foundation and Donwood Institute. It will integrate the research, health promotion, education and training functions of CAMH at the Queen St. hub.

CAMH also has facilities at 26 community locations in Ontario and is affiliated with the University of Toronto.

Experts say the mentally ill and the addicted respond best to treatment in settings that resemble the community.

"It won't feel like an institution to people," said Judy Hills, executive director of the Canadian Psychiatric Research Foundation, calling the expansion long overdue given the lack of resources for mental health treatment over the past decade or so.

"When beds were closed and people dumped on the streets, the mental health sector was ignored for so long."

The problem with that effort to move people out of mental health hospitals is there weren't enough community supports in place, resulting in large numbers of homeless, Hills added.

Increasingly, for several years, businesses and decision-makers have realized many physical health problems, such as headaches, immune deficiencies and stomach problems, have their roots in mental health concerns as simple as the stress of daily life or as complex as chemical changes in the brain.

The funding spelled out today is for the first phase of a 10-year project. Aside from the "home-like" setting of the apartment-style units, there will be a rebuilding of in-patient beds for the elderly and 12 new beds for youths.

"They're trying to develop different settings for different types of clients so it's not one-size-fits-all," the source said.

Two years ago, CAMH officials estimated the entire redevelopment project at almost $400 million.

Last edited by Travis007; September 14th, 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #454
fcarvall

Jeez i was just kidding. Plus it was a compliment if you think about it. Jeez! Take a Chill Pill
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #455
Travis007

Sep. 12, 2005. 11:34 AM

City given waterfront lot
Ottawa pays Torstar $12.25M for site, then gives land to city

CURTIS RUSH
STAFF REPORTER THESTAR.COM

The Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation this morning announced a deal to buy a parcel of land at the foot of Yonge St. that was termed "essential" to a vibrant waterfront.

The land at Queen's Quay East, on the southeast corner of Yonge St. and Queen's Quay, was purchased by the federal government for $12.25 million from Torstar Corporation, the owners of the Toronto Star.

The 1.4 acre site is currently a parking lot. It sits east of the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel and directly beside Captain John's, a docked sealiner which now serves as a seafood restaurant.

It will remain a parking lot for the next 18 months.

Potential uses for the land include a public park and an area that will display public art and other programs that celebrate Canada's diversity.

Robert Fung, chairman of the corporation created in 2001 to revitalize the waterfront, told reporters this morning this acquisition is "one of my proudest moments." The plot of land sits in "the heart of Canada" and this redeveloped land will be a "showcase" in the country, Fung said.

John Campbell, president of the corporation, wouldn't divulge any other plans to acquire neighbouring properties as part of the redevelopment strategy.

"Stay tuned," he said with a smile.

Also on hand to make the announcement were Joe Volpe, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration and the Minister Responsible for the GTA, as well as Robert Prichard, CEO of Torstar Corp.

In the spring, Volpe announced $10 million in federal government money for the launch of Lake Ontario Park. This enormous 200-hectare park will encompass all of the Leslie St. Spit, as well as land along the shoreline stretching from Cherry Beach in the west to Ashbridge's Bay in the east.

Last edited by Travis007; September 14th, 2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:34 AM   #456
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcarvall
I dont understand the point of this thread. We already know you guys have a much better country. Do you have to RUB IT IN OUR FACES?
Aye... que te pasa chico?

Such a bitter and inappropriate comment to be making. All of the threads in this section of the site are about updates. There's no need for you to make such comments. There is development happening all over the world.
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #457
elliot

FINALLY!!

Rose/Toronto Film Studios signed a 99 year lease (with TEDCO/City) and has construction financing secured to start buildi ng....

The Largest Sound Stage in North America (I think it may be the whole world as it is marginally bigger than the Pinewood UK mega-hangar).

But... that's just part of it.

1. 45,000sq' mega stage (bye bye Arnold, London, Sidknee, Montreal Vancouver)
2. 230,000sq' total stages in Phase One... Phase Two will double this.
3. Massive water feature along the canal that will double for unwater shoots (folks will be able to watch this stuff)
4. Retail, eatin', and a few hundred thousand sq' of office to host production/post suppliers.

The name is FILMPORT.

Since everyone in my household earns a paycheque from the cinema (except Harry the dog but I have an agent interested in him), I say....... yippppeeee.

P.S. 40,000 direct jobs and another 100,000 or so support jobs involved in this industry (nearly as many as the lawyers in town).
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #458
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Toronto is really a boomtown! Congrats to Toronto!!!
cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #459
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

"Hopefully they re-designed it a bit to make it more distinguishable and make it 1000 ft. so there will be more balance between the Cityplace and MINT clusters"

How does a lone 1000 foot tower surrounded by 300 to 500 foot towers bring balance to the Cityplace skyline, between Cityplace and the CBD or any other situation you can think of. 1000 feet - LOL

(BTW, from the islands vantage point - HVE2 competes with FCP)
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM   #460
Travis007

I was just exaggerating a bit. If you were to literally compare the future completed Cityplace cluster with the main cluster, offcourse they won't compare because the main cluster is a lot bigger and denser. But with most skyline shots taken from the water, Cityplace actually does seem to be comparable with the main cluster because the Cityplace buildings are spread out more (Just like in most future Toronto skyline renders).

And I know the 1000 ft. tower is silly and unrealistic but I was just being optimistic.

Last edited by Travis007; September 16th, 2005 at 04:43 AM.