daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2005, 02:11 AM   #141
partybits
partybits

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso_69
Ya....there hasn't been any talk about the start of construction date, but it is definetly approved and the link below gives all the details. Also I don't think it will be cancelled. Im sure they're going to deffiently start building by fall this year. Very cool building I agree...

- The proposal calls for a semi-transparent metal and glass oval tower, using advanced "green" environmentally efficient technology. At 202 M/ 663 Ft. and 57 Floors.

Details...Click

Sorry if u can't see this:
Thanks Zozo 69. That's where I found out about 1 Bloor East in the first place. Last I heard was in a "Now" paper article back in March 2005. Does'nt provide any useful new information but at least the project is alive and kicking. Man I hope they build it though.
http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/200...ews_story3.php

On a separate note, for those who posted images of the skylines in the future with the additional buildings....wow!!! Where did you find those from?
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #142
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

^Some of the Toronto forumers make them.
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #143
elliot

Likes (Received): 33

I can only wish Vegas and Miami well.

Perhaps with all these condos, they will start building density.... on more than one street.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:35 AM   #144
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

18 Yorkville in March

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:37 AM   #145
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18212

Pearson Terminal 1 on April 13, 2005

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM   #146
gurukool
build intelligent

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY
what is driving the TO boom?
know nothing about economics
but NEED is the word
gurukool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:36 PM   #147
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3689

Whast this?

Twin condominium towers proposed for mid-town Toronto refer to the skyscraper designs of Raymond Hood.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:14 AM   #148
Skopie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity
y dont they build atleast a 400m+ tower in toronto. when every1 around the world is busy constructing 600-700m+ towers...in toronto the tallest buildings still stuck at around 325m ... which maybe be ready by 2009..long time...is there any kinda restriction for supertalls in Toronto ?? both trump towre and sapphire tower. are competing in the same height bracket..when they could easily build real supertalls...????
Nearly all the countries building 600-700m buildings are developing countries trying to show off. Developed countries know that buildings over 400m never realy make economic sense.
Skopie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:17 AM   #149
G_DOG

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
Whast this?

Twin condominium towers proposed for mid-town Toronto refer to the skyscraper designs of Raymond Hood.
minto condos at yonge and eglinton ,taller one is 50 storeys and shorter one
is 39 storey
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:35 PM   #150
Mike in TO

Re: 1 Bloor East

Kolter is holding off on 1 Bloor East for the time being.

The Uptown Condo across the street (48 stories) by Marco Muzzo (Pemberton Group) has just entered sales and Kolter is planning to delay the launch of their tower so as to not directly compete with the neighbouring development.
Mike in TO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #151
partybits
partybits

Thank you!
I have been trying to figure what's goin on with that building for the longest time (how I discovered this website actually). While I like the Uptown, I would have preferred they started with 1 Bloor & delay Uptown instead!
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #152
partybits
partybits

Oh, and since I've awnsered that question. On to the next. I would start a new thread except one problem. Don't know how. Anyways, it's related to the city boom

In emporis, I looked at all the approved/proposed buildings of major cities in North America and here is the list of top ten based simply on the sum of the two (I know, not that scientific, but meh):
1. Toronto 241
2. Chicago 107
3. Miami 85
4. NYC 65
5. Las Vegas 54
6. Ottawa 37
7. San Diego 35
8. San Fran 32
9. Seattle 32
10. Vancouver 30 (Hey! 3 out of 10 are Canadian!)

Conclusion...Toronto kicks ass...we nearly double our competitors.
What I'm trying to figure out is why. Some thoughts I've thrown out include:
Are we truly about to see a boom like none seen before and will be the envy of North America?
Is our concentration of high density devolepement as opposed to low rise housing in other cities causing this variance?
Is our red tape in this city THAT bad that it's simply causing a backlog no other city has to deal with?
Is Emporis smoking to much grass and should be shut down?
Am I smoking too much grass and should leave this website?
Or, is it a combination of factors.

P.S. How do you start a thread anyways?
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #153
Skybean
天豆

Go to the sub section of the forum you wish to post the thread.

Find the button "New Thread"

Click it.
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #154
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"Kolter is planning to delay the launch of their tower so as to not directly compete with the neighbouring development."

pussies

"Are we truly about to see a boom like none seen before and will be the envy of North America? "

The city of Toronto has been on an on-off housing boom since the 60's. Look at the growth of the inner city since the 50's, and compare it to any American city.

"Is our concentration of high density devolepement as opposed to low rise housing in other cities causing this variance? "

Partly, but I think it's simply a matter of population increase and land cost/availability. A bit of decent urabn planning here and there didn't hurt either.

"Is our red tape in this city THAT bad that it's simply causing a backlog no other city has to deal with? "

Nope...there is no backlog...the amount of projects traveling through the pipeline since the last condo boom has been pretty consistant.

"Is Emporis smoking to much grass and should be shut down?
Am I smoking too much grass and should leave this website? "

No...and no. Just pass that fat one around.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #155
partybits
partybits

Thank you Skybeam, I just set up a new thread. Can't believe I did'nt see the new thread button earlier...thanks again.
And KGB, I'll be sure to pass it around. One thing though, you mentioned the inner city growth of American cities in relation to Toronto. That would explain the past (up to 80's), but a large amount of the cities are now starting to see a rejuvenation of there cores. I guess it's just that the discrepency is so large. I mean we double EVERYONE! Not that i'm complaining of course....go Toronto! Tks for the insight by the way. Feel free to comment on the new thread so it looks like someone listening...lol
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #156
jon jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokinyc
Hate to burst your bubble guys but Vegas currently has 40,000 condos under construction and Miami a whopping 69,000 versus Toronto's 25,000.

From USAToday:
Today, an estimated 50 major condo projects are proposed or under construction within 50 city blocks in Miami on or near Biscayne Bay. There are so many gaping holes in the ground — where old buildings have been razed and new ones are planned — that downtown looks as if it has been bombed. A remarkable 69,000 condo units are currently in the permit pipeline or are newly built and for sale citywide. By comparison, Las Vegas — perennially among the USA's hottest housing markets — issued permits for 40,000 units of all types of housing last year.
Las Vegas and Miami have more condo units u/c than Toronto? ROFLOL! What an ignorant statement (though not surprising). This guy compares Miami's number of condos u/c, proposed, and approved to the number of units in Toronto u/c, and compares the number of units of all types of housing in Las Vegas to the number of condo units u/c in Toronto. The fact is Toronto has more condo units u/c than Miami and Las Vegas combined, and more condo units in the pipeline than Miami and Las Vegas combined.

Of course I'm sure Brooklyn has more than all 3 of these cities combined :ROFL:
jon jon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:47 AM   #157
Rancher
BANNED

Nice one TORONTO!
Rancher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #158
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Can someone plz explain in detail what exactly City Place is? It looks cool!!! Is it one huge develment or a collection of seperate projects? Whats the tallest building gonna be? If anyone can answer this i would be thankful!!!
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #159
Skybean
天豆

Cityplace is a single development consisting of 20 residential towers.

The tallest building will be "Signature Tower". It may undergo design changes since last proposal which was 217.5m, 69 floors. It will likely be the final tower to be built in the development.

For more information and a killer day-night time lapse picture of Cityplace
www.cityplace.ca
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #160
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

WOW those towers look huge!!! Thanks 4 the info skybeam. So i'm guessing this will be done by the end of the decade?
rise_against no está en línea   Reply With Quote