SkyscraperCity Forum banner

TORONTO | Streetcars

210K views 902 replies 152 participants last post by  pudgym29 
#1 ·
The Toronto Transit Commission operates 11 streetcar routes serving 305.8 km. The fleet consists of 196 CLRV and 52 (articulated) ALRV vehicles. In 2004, streetcars operated a total of 12,168,000 km.

See less See more
#9 ·
"What "kind" of people use this transport? Are they poor and don't have car? "

Streetcars and subways in Toronto have a pretty large following of middle class and wealthy. Buses probably don't fare so well. The TTC doesn't suffer from the "slumming it" type of image PT in many other cities have. Even better considering Toronto is still a city where owning, operating, and getting around in cars is still fairly easy.

KGB

#16 ·
Didn't know Toronto also had articulated streetcars, I always saw pics of the single cars.

Anyway, the tram system is still fairly traditional compared to modern tram / light rail systems: Toronto's trams are short high floor vehicles, don't have their own right of way, etcetera. Are there any plans to buy new vehicles or upgrade the system?

#432 ·
Transit City

Toronto is getting a new LRT system called Transit City. The streetcars will be replaced with conventional Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) and there will be approximatly 150km of new routes to add to the system. This will comliment the traditional low-floor service you mentioned.

#18 ·
Vertigo said:
Anyway, the tram system is still fairly traditional compared to modern tram / light rail systems: Toronto's trams are short high floor vehicles, don't have their own right of way, etcetera. Are there any plans to buy new vehicles or upgrade the system?
Actually they do have there own ROW's in some places. About the plans for the system, they have to make a decision fairly soon about whether they want to overhal the existing system or buy new ones altogether.

bad pic, but it shows row

#24 ·
Smartboy said:
I'm sorry!!! But in my country only use public transit who don't have money to buy a car (here the cars are very expensive and most peolpe don't earn much money ). And i've heard in Canada verybody have e can bye a car.
Well everyone (rich to poor) pretty much uses PT except people in the suburbs and owning a car doesn't mean people stop using PT (well in toronto) PT has many advantages over a car in toronto.

#26 · (Edited)
LegEnd said:
the streetcars in Toronto are great, used them all the time when i was there, made me wish we could get more stuff like that in britain.

Is it there or san fransisco that has the old cars from all over the place?
Quite possibly you are thinking of the Market Street Railway in San Francisco:

Home Page:
http://www.streetcar.org/index.html

Index page for pictures and descriptions of the streetcar fleet:
http://www.streetcar.org/fline/streetcars/index.html

The following are just a few of the streetcars featured at the above website:

1912 Moscow/Orel Tram

1927 Osaka Tram

1929 Porto (Portugal) Tram

1934 Blookpool (England) Boat Tram

1929/1930 Melbourne (Australia) Tram

Philadelphia PCC