daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #281
brugghen

Likes (Received): 1

Movie Toronto in the 80s

Here is how Toronto looked like about 25 years ago

Regards

Wouter

DanielFA liked this post
brugghen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #282
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

so let me get the right, within the past 25 years, all the trollies and PPC cars are retired without any replacement??????

man we've went down in transit.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #283
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

Here's a question that might have been entertained at some time in the past.

Just as an interesting proposal, instead of building new subways downtown how about this:

Revamp the Adelaide line, and run it all the way out to Shaw/Strachan (or whatever is suitable). Do the same with a new Wellington line. At the other end it would meet up at Parliament or somewhere else suitable. Add in a workaround for Clarance Square (at Wellington and Spadina), and I think it could work. It would take some coordination, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Then make it so that every other King streetcar will go down to Adelaide (to go east) or come up from Wellington (to go west) instead of going straight on King.

Yes it's a lot of construction, but with the one-way roads, it would only cut off 1-2 lanes of traffic at a time leaving the road still open for business during construction. It would forgo the problem with having a politically difficult transit mall for King, and would provide adequate coverage of the CBD, while splitting up riders to maximize capacity. And besides, Adelaide<-->Wellington is only about 250 metres, so it's not that far to walk.
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #284
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
Here's a question that might have been entertained at some time in the past.

Just as an interesting proposal, instead of building new subways downtown how about this:

Revamp the Adelaide line, and run it all the way out to Shaw/Strachan (or whatever is suitable). Do the same with a new Wellington line. At the other end it would meet up at Parliament or somewhere else suitable. Add in a workaround for Clarance Square (at Wellington and Spadina), and I think it could work. It would take some coordination, but I don't think it would be impossible.

Then make it so that every other King streetcar will go down to Adelaide (to go east) or come up from Wellington (to go west) instead of going straight on King.

Yes it's a lot of construction, but with the one-way roads, it would only cut off 1-2 lanes of traffic at a time leaving the road still open for business during construction. It would forgo the problem with having a politically difficult transit mall for King, and would provide adequate coverage of the CBD, while splitting up riders to maximize capacity. And besides, Adelaide<-->Wellington is only about 250 metres, so it's not that far to walk.
You might be onto something. It has some problems (two directions served by separate streets may be confusing or inconvenient to riders), but it could be worth a closer look.

I have doubts it would remove the need for a transit mall though. However, as LRV lengths will have limitations regardless as long as they share roads with other traffic for even part of the route, such a relief scheme could have its place in the heart of Condominia.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #285
UD2
A very cool person

is that financially feasiable for the TTC?
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #286
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
You might be onto something. It has some problems (two directions served by separate streets may be confusing or inconvenient to riders), but it could be worth a closer look.
Not necessarily. It works okay in Ottawa, where the westbound Transitway goes down Slater Street, and the eastbound goes down Albert.
canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #287
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 266

Why do you keep calling tram a "streetcar"? It is a tram! What does it mean a "streetcar" - a car on the street?
Old November 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #288
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8775

It's North American termanology for trams. They're perfectly entitled to call them whatever they want in the context of their cities. They can call them pink spotted purple elephants as long as they use the correct termanology relative to other cities when referring to other cities infrastructure for all I care.

C'mon mate, learn some respect.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #289
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
It's North American termanology for trams. They're perfectly entitled to call them whatever they want in the context of their cities. They can call them pink spotted purple elephants as long as they use the correct termanology relative to other cities when referring to other cities infrastructure for all I care.

C'mon mate, learn some respect.
They can do whatever they want, all i am saying is:

Its common sense v.s. respect
-The whole world is saying mobile phone, but americans say cell phones
-The whole world is calling taxi a "taxi" - americans call them a cab

I need to know the american terminology to find a relevant information - its pathetic Its even not on WIKI - the "pink spotted purple elephant"
dude

Last edited by Nomels; November 13th, 2007 at 06:19 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #290
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I'm sure we can call it whatever we want nomels... honestly, you have absolutely no right in regulating who calls what on these forums... what's common sense to you (or in your region) does not mean it's common sense to us. what's common sesne to us is that we call it StreetCars.

Now if you have any complaints on the term that's being used, note that the TTC calls it StreetCar, you can go ahed and complain about that to them.

Proof: http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #291
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm sure we can call it whatever we want nomels... honestly, you have absolutely no right in regulating who calls what on these forums... what's common sense to you (or in your region) does not mean it's common sense to us. what's common sesne to us is that we call it StreetCars.

Now if you have any complaints on the term that's being used, note that the TTC calls it StreetCar, you can go ahed and complain about that to them.

Proof: http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/rideguide.pdf
Don't freak out and don't take it personally Its just so annoying that info is burried

Last edited by Nomels; November 13th, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #292
Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 11

I seriously doubt you cannot find anything on wikipedia about streetcars. I just wiki'd streetcars and it automatically directs you to trams and the first line reads:

"A tram, tramcar, trolley, trolley car, or streetcar is a railborne vehicle, lighter than a train, designed for the transport of passengers (and/or, very occasionally, freight) within, close to, or between villages, towns and/or cities, primarily on streets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...rs&redirect=no

Nomels, welcome to the 21st, globalized century were we can interact and learn about each other's cultures, language, and ideas. You have astutely noted that North Americans, not just people in the United States of America, call certain things by different names than other people. Guess what, there a thousands and thousands of different words for common things. It's called "language". Are you losing sleep over the fact that an elevator is called a lift in England? What about the fact that football is called soccer in North America?

A streetcar is a tram is a trolley. Get over it.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Athlete's Village | 1.4M sqft, LEED GOLD

Vancouver | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
Vancouverite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #293
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverite View Post
I seriously doubt you cannot find anything on wikipedia about streetcars. I just wiki'd streetcars and it automatically directs you to trams and the first line reads:

"A tram, tramcar, trolley, trolley car, or streetcar is a railborne vehicle, lighter than a train, designed for the transport of passengers (and/or, very occasionally, freight) within, close to, or between villages, towns and/or cities, primarily on streets."

Nomels, welcome to the 21st, globalized century were we can interact and learn about each other's cultures, language, and ideas. You have astutely noted that North Americans, not just people in the United States of America, call certain things by different names than other people. Guess what, there a thousands and thousands of different words for common things. It's called "language". Are you losing sleep over the fact that an elevator is called a lift in England? What about the fact that football is called soccer in North America?

Thanks for the link, I didnt get anything in WIKI because I typed "street car"

Hey, take it easy, it is lift indeed and football not soccer.

"American football" players are barely touching it with their legs
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #294
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverite View Post

Hey, take it easy, it is lift indeed and proper football is played everywhere apart from NA not soccer.

"American football"??? players are barely touchingthe ball with their legs
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #295
Nomels
I Love Ice

Anyway, I hope more trams and metros are gonna be built on both sides of the lake
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #296
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomels View Post

I'll to that remark, I feel the same way. Europe understands REAL football!

But who in the world calls a truck a "lorry"?

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #297
Epi

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomels View Post

Hey, take it easy, it is lift indeed and proper football is played everywhere apart from NA not soccer.

There are more native English speakers in North America then there are native English speakers in the rest of the world.

By the way, the term 'soccer' is widely known, and the Brits do use it from time to time. Considering they invented the game, and invented English, I think it's okay :p

Now back to streetcar talk!
Epi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #298
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Rebooting the TTC
14 November 2007
The Toronto Star

The Toronto Transit Commission is considering entering the information age with a $6 million project that should have arrived long ago, instead of coming next year at the earliest.

TTC commissioners are to discuss today a program that would introduce "smart" transit shelters that electronically tell commuters when their next bus or streetcar will arrive. The proposed new plan would also provide email and cellphone alerts regarding a vehicle's time of arrival, and allow the online purchase of tickets.

The changes are meant to make public transit more user-friendly. In an age when everything from airline trips to jewellery can be bought online, it only makes sense to sell TTC tickets the same convenient way.

Bus shelters with signs that electronically let people know how long they must wait, and email warning of delays, would improve TTC service by letting riders know where they stand.

None of these approaches are especially new. GO Transit runs an email alert program, and York Region's VIVA transit system has shelters with LED displays showing bus arrival times. The TTC needs to get on board. Some critics complain about the program's cost, which is equal to the price of several buses. But it seems worth that much to shift Canada's largest transit system into the 21st century.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #299
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

If they are going to use information displays, it should be installed first on the most unpredictable routes to keep track of (ie: streetcar routes). Most times, I find that suburban buses are able to keep to their schedules very well.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #300
UD2
A very cool person

^

i have a feeling they're going into all the ROWs, all the subway busbays, and suburban (North of St. Clair in my books) major intersections.

very good trend that the TTC is taking. It'll cost us, but it'll be well worth it for the future.