daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #2021
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57958

Cologne is a sad case indeed. Though they reconstructed more of the old town than the average larger city. But the city and its downtown is pretty large, so it somehow gets lost in a vast ocean of -indeed- trash.

On the other hand, various corners of Cologne improved fast in recent years and I'm looking forward to see the city becoming an attractive metropolis again (at its heart).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #2022
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

I was just wondering, is there any city (not necessarily a major one) in the industrial area of Ruhr that escaped the war without being completely destroyed/that still has some remnants of an old town, at least a street or something?
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #2023
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

Of course. Many small towns and villages have a well preserved cityscape.

Werne

Unna

Wetter (Ruhr)

Old July 19th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #2024
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

yes, many villages escaped war damage, but I am unaware of any area large enough to qualify as a "city" in the Ruhr that was not heavily damaged. Were there?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #2025
Saxonia

I'm not sure about your definition of "city". In German this term is almost exclusively used as a synonym vor Stadtzentrum (city center) or Innenstadt (central city). Mostly in a commercial context.
We know that almost no city in Germany with more than 100.000 (Großstadt) pre war population escaped major war damage. But the Ruhrgebiet is basically a conglomerat of hundreds of cities and villages which grew into bigger cities due to suburbanisation, fusions and reorganisations in consequence, especially in the 1970s . And in many cases the built up urban area still does not coincide with local borders. So "villages" manage to have 20 to 60.000 inhabitants.
I'm not an expert for the Ruhr region though. But for what I know, Recklinghausen as a larger pre war city with about 90.000 inhabitants received only minor damage.

keepthepast liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2026
rob in cal

Likes (Received): 8

German Wikipedia article about Recklinghausen says only about 15% total damage of the city during WW2.

keepthepast liked this post
rob in cal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #2027
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Thanks so much for the information and pictures! ^

I think with roughly 60 000 people, Unna definitely counts as a small city, even if it incorporated some villages at some point; its center looks gorgeous indeed! Recklinghausen also seems to be in decent shape, especially when compared to most of the major cities in the area.
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #2028
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

I just got this from random searches on Google but is true that Görlitz is the best preserved "historic" German city that escaped destruction in World War 2?

I found photos of the city center and it looks beautiful:

https://www.morgenpost.de/reise/klei...as-Drehen.html

I read that it's a favorite shooting location for Hollywood movies for its well-preserved cityscape. (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Inglorious Basterds to name a few.)
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #2029
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I would say so. It's got a great mix of medieval architecture as well as late 19th century buildings which make it look more like Berlin in some parts. Went there a few years ago, here's the thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1188453

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

OtAkAw liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #2030
Saxonia

There are many very well preserved historic cities in Germany. Görlitz is kinda special because a) it was an important city even before industrialisation an b) With about 94.000 pre war inhabitants (of whom 9000 lived in the todays polish parts) it is also among the biggest pre war cities which remained largely undestroyed and was also not hit by major architectural accidents after 1945 (unlike other bigger undestroyed cities like Halle or Erfurt.)
Besides, Görlitz reached 85.000 inhabitants already in 1910, so it has quite a large share of Gründerzeit buildings.

OtAkAw liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #2031
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

That is Gorlitz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtAkAw View Post
I just got this from random searches on Google but is true that Görlitz is the best preserved "historic" German city that escaped destruction in World War 2?

I found photos of the city center and it looks beautiful:

https://www.morgenpost.de/reise/klei...as-Drehen.html

I read that it's a favorite shooting location for Hollywood movies for its well-preserved cityscape. (The Grand Budapest Hotel and Inglorious Basterds to name a few.)
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:12 AM   #2032
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
That is Gorlitz!
Yes, just as stated!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:17 PM   #2033
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

There are some other cities that escaped the war and are largely intact than just Görlitz:
Regensburg, Heidelberg, Bamberg, Erfurt, Lüneburg, Konstanz, Landshut, Passau etc.

As far as I know of those Regensburg is the biggest undestroyed German city and it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Old July 21st, 2017, 06:41 PM   #2034
rob in cal

Likes (Received): 8

I had a question about Passau. I read that it was in fact somewhat damaged during the war, with a few bombings. Anyone have insight on how much damage, and how much reconstruction was needed?
rob in cal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:31 AM   #2035
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Dortmund:

Last edited by qjone2; July 23rd, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:28 PM   #2036
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Essen:

(Sorry about the size)

Last edited by qjone2; July 23rd, 2017 at 04:34 PM.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #2037
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1921

Köln

Deutscher Ring

Hansaplatz

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Ring

Hohenzollernring

Rudolfplatz

Opernhaus

Hohenstaufenring

Chlodwigplatz

Bildindex
Bildarchiv Köln
DF
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2038
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

The Opernhaus Koln looks larger than any others of the era. Huge. And beautiful design.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #2039
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
There are some other cities that escaped the war and are largely intact than just Görlitz:
Regensburg, Heidelberg, Bamberg, Erfurt, Lüneburg, Konstanz, Landshut, Passau etc.

As far as I know of those Regensburg is the biggest undestroyed German city and it is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Beautiful! If war didn't happen I wonder how many German cities would be UNESCO World Heritage sites. Probably as many as Italy's? Any wild guesses?
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #2040
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1625

I doubt there would be 18 World heritage cities in Germany, as many of the historic city centers whre heavily modified during industrialisation period, but a lot of individual buildings or building ensembles would be.

Last edited by Tolbert; July 27th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture