daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #2081
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1922

Dresden. Innere Neustadt

DF

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #2082
soren5en

Hamburg

Rathausmarkt

Alsterarkaden

Jungfernstieg

Alsterdamm (Ballindamm)

Alsterpavillon

Binnenalster

Außenalster

An der Alster

Hotel Atlantic

Bildindex
Wiki
DF
Old August 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #2083
soren5en

Frankfurt am Main

Bildindex
DF

City Cityzen, Titan Man, Ultra84, AlinS, HURZ and 2 others liked this post

Last edited by soren5en; August 20th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
soren5en está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #2084
soren5en

Frankfurter Altstadt

DF / Bildindex

Last edited by soren5en; August 20th, 2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #2085
soren5en

Frankfurter Altstadt

Trierische Gasse

Braubachstraße with Haus zur Maus on the left

Restaurant Zur Domschänke

Domplatz

Höllgasse

Haus zur Goldenen Waage

DF/Bildindex

Titan Man, qjone2, City Cityzen, HURZ, Ultra84 and 3 others liked this post
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:56 AM   #2086
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Frankfurt is such a sad loss At least we're getting some of it back.

Roman_P, Dichtefan liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:33 AM   #2087
soren5en

Kannengießergasse with Lutherhaus on the right

Fahrgasse

Haus Fürsteneck

Garküchenplatz

Große Fischergasse

Roseneckplätzchen

Weckmarkt

DF/ Bildindex/ Wikimedia
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:41 PM   #2088
soren5en

Krautmarkt

Weibleinsplätzchen

Tuchgaden

Rotes Haus

Lange Schirn

Markt

Bildindex
DF
Wikimedia
MB
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #2089
Sauter

Likes (Received): 958

these photos look like photos of a imaginary city - fairytale-ish if you imagine the colors

qjone2, Dichtefan liked this post
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #2090
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

One thing that I find absolutely remarkable is that I talk to people who have been to Frankfurt (more or less recently) and who were quite impressed with the Romerberg; most of them described it as a very beautiful and charming old square. Looking at these pictures (and I hate doing that, as I am not big on nostalgia in general), I can't help wondering how tourists would have described pre-war Frankfurt...

qjone2, Rohne, Dichtefan liked this post
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #2091
wakka12

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperormadness View Post
One thing that I find absolutely remarkable is that I talk to people who have been to Frankfurt (more or less recently) and who were quite impressed with the Romerberg; most of them described it as a very beautiful and charming old square. Looking at these pictures (and I hate doing that, as I am not big on nostalgia in general), I can't help wondering how tourists would have described pre-war Frankfurt...
If frankfurt had survived it could have very easily today been as the worlds most beautiful city, probably surpassing rome paris amsterdam etc
wakka12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2092
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Given the high regard for pre-war Frankfurt, if there was a magical opportunity to undo the war destruction of just one German city so its 1940 state existed today, would you select Frankfurt?

Dichtefan liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2093
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren5en View Post

This photo is beautiful, not just as a representation of pre-war Frankfurt, but also as a photo in its own right.

Quote:
Given the high regard for pre-war Frankfurt, if there was a magical opportunity to undo the war destruction of just one German city so its 1940 state existed today, would you select Frankfurt?
This is such a difficult question for anyone to answer. So many historically and/or architecturally important cities were destroyed. Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Dresden, Munich, Cologne, Kassel – Berlin and Hannover, even. Nearly impossible to decide.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #2094
emperormadness

Well yes and no; on the one hand, I would obviously want to get back the city which I find the most beautiful and culturally significant, although this is of course highly subjective. On the other hand, I think one needs to take into account how all these cities evolved after the war. I don't feel the need to bring Munchen or Nurnberg back, because I think they are still beautiful and charming today; Frankfurt, while it would certainly qualify by my first criterion above, has also evolved quite nicely and has this distinct modern brand which I like: in a superficial way, it is like an American city (the skyline, the booming business district, etc.) with all the nice European urban and social features added on top of that. So while bringing it back would be appealing on one level, I don't mind the current city. I think of the major German cities, Dresden's reconstruction is the most significant, since the city genuinely lost its soul in the war and failed (or was not allowed, to be precise) to get it back afterwards.

So to sum it up, I would choose Frankfurt if I were to ignore the present/postwar development; I would choose Dresden otherwise (and to be honest, Dresden is largely coming back, the reconstructions there are quite extensive).

keepthepast, Dichtefan liked this post
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #2095
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Well yes and no; on the one hand, I would obviously want to get back the city which I find the most beautiful and culturally significant, although this is of course highly subjective. On the other hand, I think one needs to take into account how all these cities evolved after the war. I don't feel the need to bring Munchen or Nurnberg back, because I think they are still beautiful and charming today; Frankfurt, while it would certainly qualify by my first criterion above, has also evolved quite nicely and has this distinct modern brand which I like: in a superficial way, it is like an American city (the skyline, the booming business district, etc.) with all the nice European urban and social features added on top of that. So while bringing it back would be appealing on one level, I don't mind the current city. I think of the major German cities, Dresden's reconstruction is the most significant, since the city genuinely lost its soul in the war and failed (or was not allowed, to be precise) to get it back afterwards.

So to sum it up, I would choose Frankfurt if I were to ignore the present/postwar development; I would choose Dresden otherwise (and to be honest, Dresden is largely coming back, the reconstructions there are quite extensive).
Actually, not so much. Although the reconstruction project that is happening at Neumarkt is majestic and unique, there are so many important buildings from many periods of city's rich architectural history that will probably never be reconstructed, which is quite sad. That's why I would probably choose to "bring back" Dresden, it was perfect in so many different ways, it's just sad to see it still devastated by the war.

wakka12, ILOVENY, soren5en, qjone2 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #2096
wakka12

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:

I agree with that! It really is hard to choose. I think Berlin and Hamburg, also suffered awful damage but I think both these cities have evolved in an interesting way with a very unique charm in each city. I agree completely about Dresden , Ive never been to Cologne but that to me seems like a city that lost its soul and never really regained it . The beautiful cathedral just stands in such contrast to the rest of the city that its a little unsettling

qjone2, Roman_P liked this post
wakka12 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #2097
emperormadness

@Titan man: You are right to some extent, but I feel that the reconstructions in Dresden have been extensive and cohesive enough to genuinely bring at least part of the city's cultural and architectural soul back. Sure, you can never rebuild an entire town, but rebuilding the heart like in Dresden definitely means a lot for the city. My parents visited Dresden during the 1980's and were horrified by it; even now, 35 years later, they remember how bad of an impression the ruined city left on them (especially given that they came from another gray Communist country). Contrast that with the fact that Dresden has now become a "must" on any tourist trail or guide through/on Germany, just as it was before the war. While certainly there is plenty more to be reconstructed (and most of it will never be, for obvious reasons), I can't think of any other European city that has undergone such a dramatic restoration of its pre-war urban fabric.

keepthepast liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #2098
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1643

Quote:
I can't think of any other European city that has undergone such a dramatic restoration of its pre-war urban fabric
Warsaw
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #2099
emperormadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
Warsaw
Yes, you are right, I completely forgot about Warsaw; however, I would say Warsaw counts with one big caveat: I am not sure the extent and scope of its reconstruction fit the city's international status. What was reconstructed was the old core of the city, which, while picturesque, is not impressive in any way; Warsaw is an European capital, the 6th or 7th largest city in the EU and one of its most important ones, so I feel that one would expect more than just an archetypal medium town marketplace and a few nice narrow streets around it. All the grand boulevards that made Warsaw feel like the "Paris of the East" and that were sadly lost in the war were never reconstructed.

On the other hand, Dresden is just an important regional city in Germany, nothing more than that; it's not even the largest city in Saxony right now. While surely only a fraction of its urban fabric was reconstructed, the area around Neumarkt is not just picturesque; it is pretty much what you would expect from a city of Dresden's size and scope.

So yes, Warsaw and Dresden are both impressive in the way they reconstructed their lost heritage; that being said, I personally feel that Dresden managed to get back its pre-war feel a bit more than Warsaw; others could disagree, and it is of course 100% true that rebuilding all the boulevards in Warsaw would have been impossible given the country's situation at the time.

keepthepast liked this post
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:50 PM   #2100
SoboleuS
Homo Masoviensis

Likes (Received): 2402

Reconstruction of Warsaw also included the Royal Route, which is 3 km long (from Castle Square to Łazienki Park)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Route,_Warsaw

Tolbert liked this post
SoboleuS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture