daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #2121
Sauter

Likes (Received): 952

why was this theatre in Frankfurt demolished after the ww2.?

qjone2 liked this post
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #2122
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren5en View Post
Frankfurt am Main

Schauspielhaus

What's there now?
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #2123
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1920

...nowadays

http://www.frankfurterschauspielhaus.de/home/historie/

Roman_P, qjone2, erbse liked this post

Last edited by soren5en; November 7th, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
soren5en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #2124
Notgnirracen

Likes (Received): 1659

Progress! ... or wait ...
Notgnirracen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #2125
ELH

Likes (Received): 580

I thought I wanted to post this in this thread too, as the second one, just to spread what I consider a good idea:

If I was asked to decide, I would rebuild all waterfronts of the Spree along the southern part of the museumsinsel as a first priority. Why?

a) Berlin was a city of water, with single views remniscent of Amsterdam or Venice. The widening of the Spree where the museumsinsel comes to its southern end was the urban vortex of this "city on water" - now completely lost. It`s an unlosable, but lost, part of Berlin`s soul. Regaining it would add tremendously to the city`s magic.

b) Compared to the Alexanderplatz and the parts of the old center lying east of the museumsinsel, there are no DDR monuments "requiring" preservation. The only "sacrifice" would be some less famous residential blocks from the DDR times. Thus, if the right people would catch on the idea, it seems less unrealistic than rebuilding the central east bank of the Spree.

c) If one agrees that Berlins historical center runs from the Brandenburg gate and eastwards, the "city on water" (as I here call it) is the first area lying next to the present city center, actually as the southern part of the museumsinsel. In terms of "healing" the city center, thus, rebuilding the "city on water" is a more potent first step than rebuilding the Sprees central east bank incl. Alex (which honestly isn`t going to happen anyway).

The red-blue encircled area is that I talk about. This is a pre-war map:

Here`s a few impressions of what we talk of:

Notgnirracen, soren5en, keepthepast, erbse liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #2126
Sauter

Likes (Received): 952

even though I can't watch old photos of Berlin, because they are heartbreaking, I don't think Berlin is THAT city.
Berlin has it's own distinctive feel to it; when I think of Berlin I don't have a picture of some old city in my head with old architecture...I think of its modern architecture and urban culture and that's what makes him different from other cities. I understand reconstructions like in Dresden, but I feel Berlin is not that kind of a city.

emperormadness liked this post
Sauter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2127
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauter View Post
why was this theatre in Frankfurt demolished after the ww2.?
I assume because it wasn't profitable and someone thought it would be a good idea to turn it into office blocks.

Then and now:

Roman_P liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #2128
ELH

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauter View Post

even though I can't watch old photos of Berlin, because they are heartbreaking, I don't think Berlin is THAT city. Berlin has it's own distinctive feel to it; when I think of Berlin I don't have a picture of some old city in my head with old architecture...I think of its modern architecture and urban culture and that's what makes him different from other cities. I understand reconstructions like in Dresden, but I feel Berlin is not that kind of a city.
I`m not a Berliner, so I can´t have as strong an opinion of what Berlin is and isnt, should and shouldnt be - as one who lives there.

I would just like to replace the commieblocks that share the grandious Museumsinsel and recreate Neukölln am Wasser including its opposite Spree-shores. Even if it isnt recreated historically, the commie blocks should go and the area be redeveloped urbanly and cosmopolitically - with extraordinary attention to on the riverside apprarance. After all, we talk of a small area here, and one so central and historical as to lie within the oldest, fortified Berlin. Having it developed the way I just suggested would vastly expand the feeling of Berlins historical center as that of a true world class metropolis.

In the vast Gründerzeit areas of Berlins concentric perimeter, I wouldnt suggest a complete reconstruction of any whole area. Even here, however, I would love to see redevelopments according to the principle: "gradually replace atrocious mistakes with something urban-cosmpoolitan of high quality". As to that, "Kottbusser Tor" is the place to begin. It destroys the reputation of a whole great Stadtteil.

Last edited by ELH; November 8th, 2017 at 07:23 PM.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:35 AM   #2129
wakka12

Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
I assume because it wasn't profitable and someone thought it would be a good idea to turn it into office blocks.

Then and now:

Ahh..I was born in the wrong era

Soheilkb, VITORIA MAN, keepthepast liked this post
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:58 AM   #2130
bumbledah.

Likes (Received): 388

AUGSBURG

Old November 29th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #2131
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Augsburg, often a forgotten pre-war medieval gem that silently lives in the shadow of Munich. Well worth a visit to see a fairly good amount of historic buildings.

qjone2, bumbledah. liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #2132
bumbledah.

AUGSBURG

Augsburg zeughaus 1921 by janwillemsen

Kurt Hielscher Deutschland 1931 Augsburg by janwillemsen

Augsburg rathaus b 1921 by janwillemsen

Duitsland fotoboek losse bladen j 30 Augsburg Augustinenbrunnen by janwillemsen

Augsburg jacobertstrasse 1921 by janwillemsen
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:34 AM   #2133
bumbledah.

AUGSBURG

Augsburg St. Ulrich vom Milchberg aus, Karte Ende der 1930er by Hans-Michael Tappen

Archiv C453 Herr´n-Kleider-Magazin, Anton Straulino, 1920er by Hans-Michael Tappen

Archiv C454 Spezerei & Schnittwarenhandlung, Joh. B. Straulino, 1900er by Hans-Michael Tappen

Archiv D553 Sankt Ulrich und Afra in Augsburg, 1930er by Hans-Michael Tappen

Augsburg Rathaus mit Perlachturm um 1910 by Hans-Michael Tappen
Old December 3rd, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2134
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
What's there now?

This building still exists. Or parts of it I should say. The new façade has been wrapped right over the old one. Under todays façade are parts of this left!
Btw.: The new building will be demolished or completely remodeled. The city of Frankfurt is getting lots of jobs from London. But the newcomers require more cultural venues. I would love to see a split in two: A new fancy building and this old fancy one redone.

Roman_P, erbse, keepthepast, City Cityzen liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #2135
bumbledah.

KÖLN

Square, Cologne by trashingdays

Express Tram, Cöln by trashingdays

Cologne, 1936. by trashingdays

Hohenzollernring, Cöln by trashingdays

Zu Platz at end of Hohestrasse, Cöln by trashingdays

keepthepast, Titan Man, qjone2 liked this post
bumbledah. está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #2136
bumbledah.

KÖLN

Hohenzollern Bridge by trashingdays

Suspension Bridge over Rhine, Cöln by trashingdays

View of Cologne from across the Rhine by trashingdays

Frederick William III, Cologne 1910s r by Andy Brill

Rubens House, Cologne 1910 L by Andy Brill
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #2137
Rascian
НН

Likes (Received): 2153

That reminds of one another Koln's suspension bridge: the Mülheimer bridge from 1929.
Belgrade had an almost exact copy of it: King Alexander bridge (It was a modified project of Mülheimer bridge) , but it didn't survive the war, and unlike Mülheimer bridge it was reconstructed as a different bridge after the war.

keepthepast liked this post
Rascian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture