daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #301
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Königsberg:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:58 AM   #303
BetoX_S

Likes (Received): 5

excellent views really amazing
BetoX_S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:42 AM   #305
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Amazing and yet very saddening all at the same time!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #306
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Some inside shots of the destroyed Stadtschloss in Berlin... in glorious AGFA color!

Source: http://www.zi.fotothek.org/
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #307
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Wow. The stadtschloss photos are just incredible. Imagine the sheer work that went into those interiors. The craftsmanship, the time, the effort and imagination.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #308
Hyperdanny

Likes (Received): 218

Shamefully, I discovered this 3d only today...it's above and beyond cool .
It's gonna take me weeks to properly examine the pictures, I knew only the ones about Berlin.

Thank you guys for your hard work.

It is a wonderful , even if sad, tribute to the marvelous cities of Deutschland and their history.

PS just recently , on the location of the former Palast der Republik, and former (and future?) Stadtschloss, I saw they built an infobox like the one they had in Potsdamer Platz...let's hope they find the money and they really rebuild it.

Last edited by Hyperdanny; February 16th, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Hyperdanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #309
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58010

Your interest in German history and architecture is very welcome, feel free to contribute and comment here

They're definitely going to reconstruct the Berlin palace / Stadtschloss.
You can follow the process here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=178723

Soon there will be an international thread too, as I intend to open such one.
So, you visited the place of the former Palast der Republik lately? Did you take photos of the place and infobox?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #310
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
They're definitely going to reconstruct the Berlin palace / Stadtschloss.
You can follow the process here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=178723
I'm not optimistic about this reconstruction. As far as I can tell none of the most magnificent interiors are being recreated, and I agree with the others who dislike both the modernist facade and the decision to fiddle with the dimensions of the courtyards, etc. It should be rebuilt in its original form, including the really old Renaissance part at the rear, reconstruct the most significant interiors and then fit whatever else they want to do with the building into its reconstructed form. I'm thinking this might turn out to be on a par with the reconstruction of the stadtschloss in Braunschweig i.e. a stunning facade with very little inside.
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #311
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
I'm not optimistic about this reconstruction. As far as I can tell none of the most magnificent interiors are being recreated, and I agree with the others who dislike both the modernist facade and the decision to fiddle with the dimensions of the courtyards, etc. It should be rebuilt in its original form, including the really old Renaissance part at the rear, reconstruct the most significant interiors and then fit whatever else they want to do with the building into its reconstructed form. I'm thinking this might turn out to be on a par with the reconstruction of the stadtschloss in Braunschweig i.e. a stunning facade with very little inside.
I'm not sure what form it is to be rebuilt in.

Anyhow, this is modernist dictatorship at its best, shoving one small group's tastes down everybody's throats.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #312
Chadoh25

Seeing some of these photos breaks my heart. So much beauty has been lost. And unfortunately, very little of it has been replaced with anything of equal value. In regards to the palace, I've said it once and I'll say it again, the new palace in Berlin is an abomination and not worthy of the name.
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #313
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Seeing some of these photos breaks my heart. So much beauty has been lost. And unfortunately, very little of it has been replaced with anything of equal value. In regards to the palace, I've said it once and I'll say it again, the new palace in Berlin is an abomination and not worthy of the name.
In what way an abomination? You mean the new version they have planned? I think I agree. I must say that, as a piece of architecture, I'm not at all convinced by the 19th century dome on top of the early 18th century palace. If I'd been involved (I wish!) I would've left the dome off and spent the money it will cost on rebuilding the Renaissance quarters and some of the interiors! As for it being called the Humboldt Forum... No-one will call it that. It will be known as the stadtschloss.

Anyway, as erbse said, we need an English-language thread on this as it's a massive topic and is very interesting for those of us who don't speak German.

Old February 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #314
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58010

Well we already have such a topic somewhere. But I think we need a new one in this section.
(Search for 'Good bye Palace of the Republic' or smth similar.)

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #315
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

How utterly tragic. Germany and Poland had such gorgeous architecture, and now all that remains are ugly modern buildings and communist abominations. Look what they replaced Konigsberg castle with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileom_sovetov.jpg

*barf*

The only major German city that seems to have retained its true beauty is Munich. All the others, Dresden, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne, Berlin, Leipzig, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf... they're all ugly and modern now. Truly awful. And what's worse is that it wasn't restricted to Germany. The beautiful cities of Eastern Europe (except Prague and Budapest) have all been destroyed... Bucharest, Sofia, Kiev, Vilnius, Riga... I'm just glad Italy managed to get out unscathed. They should just tear down Berlin and start over. It's so ugly now, and filled with ugly, soulless apartment blocks and glass towers. Same with Warsaw.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM   #316
Chadoh25

Quote:
In what way an abomination? You mean the new version they have planned? I think I agree. I must say that, as a piece of architecture, I'm not at all convinced by the 19th century dome on top of the early 18th century palace. If I'd been involved (I wish!) I would've left the dome off and spent the money it will cost on rebuilding the Renaissance quarters and some of the interiors! As for it being called the Humboldt Forum... No-one will call it that. It will be known as the stadtschloss.

Anyway, as erbse said, we need an English-language thread on this as it's a massive topic and is very interesting for those of us who don't speak German.

Yeah, I was talking about the new "schloss". And I agree completely.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:17 AM   #317
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
The only major German city that seems to have retained its true beauty is Munich. All the others, Dresden, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Cologne, Berlin, Leipzig, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf... they're all ugly and modern now. Truly awful. And what's worse is that it wasn't restricted to Germany. The beautiful cities of Eastern Europe (except Prague and Budapest) have all been destroyed... Bucharest, Sofia, Kiev, Vilnius, Riga... I'm just glad Italy managed to get out unscathed. They should just tear down Berlin and start over. It's so ugly now, and filled with ugly, soulless apartment blocks and glass towers. Same with Warsaw.
Vilnius and Riga are still looking pretty good. In Germany Leipzig is probably one of the nicest big cities. Hamburg suffered a lot of damage as well but contrary to Cologne it has retained a lot of its appeal and charm. Stuttgart, Frankfurt...yeah, they're fairly ugly for the most part now.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:28 AM   #318
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
How utterly tragic. Germany and Poland had such gorgeous architecture, and now all that remains are ugly modern buildings and communist abominations. Look what they replaced Konigsberg castle with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileom_sovetov.jpg

*barf*

Strasbourg has also managed to remain for the most part unscathed. The German Luftwaffe didn't bomb it because they considered it German, and the Allies did not subject it to terror bombing (they targeted only the factories and the railway lines in Strasbourg, they did not carpet bomb the city as they did in Germany) because the city was considered French, so on the Allied side.

Last edited by brisavoine; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:51 AM   #319
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
The Brandenburg Gate shots are fascinating. It looks to me as though many of the damaged buildings could've been repaired instead of totally demolishing them!
Of course they could. It was a deliberate policy of the East German authorities to destroy most of the buildings that could have been repaired. It was ideological. The same happened in Paris when they destroyed the Tuileries Palace which could have been rebuilt. The East German authorities destroyed central Berlin much more than the war.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM   #320
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisavoine View Post
Strasbourg has also managed to remain for the most part unscathed. The German Luftwaffe didn't bomb it because they considered it German, and the Allies did not subject it to terror bombing (they targeted only the factories and the railway lines in Strasbourg, they did not carpet bomb the city as they did in Germany) because the city was considered French, so on the Allied side.
Oh yeah, Strasbourg is very beautiful. It seems mostly intact as well.

As for Riga and Vilnius, I guess I shouldn't say that they're ugly, because they're not, but not as nice as Tallinn.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture