daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #321
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57994

Well, Riga remained intact for the most part actually.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #322
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

Munich rebuilt just the historical stuff, the city is different although it is on its old street grid.

The best preserved bigger city is Regensburg, mainly cos the town centre was mostly untouched.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #323
maja88

Likes (Received): 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
All the others ... Hamburg ... they're all ugly and modern now
I never have laughed so much!

maja88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #324
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
The best preserved bigger city is Regensburg, mainly cos the town centre was mostly untouched.
Add Erfurt and Heidelberg here.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #325
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Rothenburg is very well preserved too, although it's quite small.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #326
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Rothenburg is very well preserved too, although it's quite small.
Rothenburg is a reconstruction. It was destroyed in the war.
You should mention Dinkelsbühl. As nice as Rothenburg, but less tourists.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:41 PM   #327
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
Rothenburg is a reconstruction. It was destroyed in the war.
You should mention Dinkelsbühl. As nice as Rothenburg, but less tourists.
Yes, Rothenburg did suffer some bomb damage and a third of the altstadt was destroyed.

On March 31, bombs were dropped over Rothenburg by 16 planes, killing 39 people and destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet (610 m) of the wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenb...Tauber#History

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...enburg.jpg?o=1

wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #328
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

yeah but luckiyl, the most of the bombs felt on the newer house. so left the older, old historic buildings intact.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #329
whatever...

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
The beautiful cities of Eastern Europe (except Prague and Budapest) have all been destroyed... Bucharest, Sofia, Kiev, Vilnius, Riga...
Vilnius suffered badly in 1944, with ~40% of the buildings destoyed, but was certainly not completely leveled. Riga was barely touched by WW2 and Romanians craped on Bucharest themselves.

That said, there are plenty of absolutely gorgeous historical and authentic cities in "Eastern Europe", not just over-advertised Prague and Budapest (not saying they aren't worth it though). Think St. Petersburg, Krakow, that same Vilnius, Tallinn and Riga, then there's also Lviv, Zagreb, Odessa, Sarajevo... Smaller ones, but just as beautiful and cosy - Ljubljana, Torun, Brasov, Split, Sibenik, Sibiu and plenty others, just take a pick.

Quote:
As for Riga and Vilnius, I guess I shouldn't say that they're ugly, because they're not, but not as nice as Tallinn.
That's just a matter of taste. Truth, Tallinn's like it's just back from one of Brothers Grimms fairytales. But, it takes an hour and a half to walk all around historic Tallinn and come to know it, while it takes days or even weeks to experience whole of Vilnius and Riga.

Last edited by whatever...; March 4th, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:47 AM   #330
Botswana

Vilnius has a very beautiful historic town center, but when I was there I found that the skyscrapers of downtown kind of ruined the aura. I did really enjoy Lithuania though, such a beautiful country.
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #331
whatever...

As if Tallinn's without modern highrises.

........................................................................................................

Klaipeda, aka Memel

Old March 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #332
whatever...

They know well. Cultural history, no matter of what nationality it is, is respected and known here. There are plenty of statues and museums dedicated to foreign writers, musicians,etc... that resided in Lithuania. There's a big museum to Thomas Mann in Nida for example, in a house he spent his summers in.

As for removal of the statues, well can you really blame anyone for not wanting to see Stalin, or Lenin, or the Soviet soldier "the liberator" (a.k.a. ocupant, rapist and murderer) in our squares every single day?

Klaipeda was, by the way, absolutely devastated during the battle of Memel and systematic destruction afterwards, in 1944-1946. According to some calculations, up to 80% of the city was destroyed by Soviet artillery and airforce.

Klaipeda/Memel, 1920 (As a free city)

Edit:
SSC is time travelling again...

Old March 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #333
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

In Kleipeda they even preserved the Simon Dach-, aka Ännchen von Tharau-, fountain, although I'm not sure if the current residents know anything about him or her. But it's nice to see a preserved monument, something which isn't that common in this part of Europe.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avidcruiser/
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #334
beren_me

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever... View Post
... and Romanians craped on Bucharest themselves.
What do you mean by that?I don't think you should put an equal sign between communist authorities, in charge of all aspects regarding architecture,urbanism and systematization, and the rest of the population which had no opinion on the matter.

Although Moldavian&Wallachian cities and towns don't impress through centuries-old buildings(simply because they have none,except a few small churches and some walls here and there) ,Bucharest still has many islands of preserved late 19th-century and early 20th-century architecture hidden behind giant and endless rows of blocks of flats;"Bucharest-Archipelago" as someone once called it.

Last edited by beren_me; June 17th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.
beren_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #335
beren_me

Likes (Received): 62

I suppose that by now most of the Germans on this forum are aware of the incredible photo archives recently found(2005-2008 I think) ,and partially digitalised, that feature 60.000 Agfacolor interiors of castles,palaces and churches(of which 40.000 uploaded here http://translate.google.ro/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8 ) and more than 3000 black-and-white aerial photographs of German cities(of which 200 uploaded here http://translate.googleusercontent.c...3bsguue5jMQKsw ),all during the war.

What I find intriguing though ,are a few dozen panoramas of Warsaw before the 1944 Uprising.Now I'm confused because I thought Hitler&Co. wanted to transform the city in a giant swamp and/or military base or smth.Is it possible that he ordered Warsaw to be photographed so he could rebuild the 1939-damaged city,but only make it habitable for Germans ,thus deciding to destroy it completely after the 1944 Uprising?

Last edited by beren_me; March 4th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
beren_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #336
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4542

Warsaw was planned to be turned into provincial city for about 100.000 inhabited mostly by Germans with some slavic slaves for physical work.

This is how it might look like if Hubert Gross and Friedrich Pabst realised their visions... I kinda like it
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #337
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Quote:
Vilnius has a very beautiful historic town center, but when I was there I found that the skyscrapers of downtown kind of ruined the aura. I did really enjoy Lithuania though, such a beautiful country.
You seem to hate anything modern, do you use horse instead of soulless automobile?
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #338
Botswana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
You seem to hate anything modern, do you use horse instead of soulless automobile?
No, you idiot. There's a difference. I hate modern architecture, but I love old classical European architecture. That doesn't mean I all of a sudden hate everything that's new, advanced and modern. Maybe you were dropped on your head as a child? I see no other reason as to why you would come up with such a stupid and convoluted opinion. I don't like modern architecture in European cities, because it takes away from their beauty and charm. I realize that some things, such as updated office space and civic buildings must be modern, but I don't like it when planners decide it is a good idea to place those right in the old town center like in the Baltics. Cities like Amsterdam and Paris reserved special areas for updated office space, and didn't place it right in the historical districts of their cities.

Try thinking the next time you post something so utterly retarded. That's usually what the brain's purpose is.
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #339
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Quote:
No, you idiot. There's a difference.
Well if you love old aesthetics so much why stop at architecture? It's not only buildings that are more simple/soulless/cold/whatever today but also clothes or interior design to name a few I don't see a reason why should we stop any progress just in architecture and not in communication for example.

Quote:
Maybe you were dropped on your head as a child?
Quite primitive ad personam but thats only to be expected from an old architecture lover

Quote:
I don't like modern architecture in European cities, because it takes away from their beauty and charm.
Oh how I love arguments like that old architecture have beauty, charm, magic, soul, Jesus etc. and modern architecture don't because...well because.

Quote:
Try thinking the next time you post something so utterly retarded. That's usually what the brain's purpose is.
Thank you for sharing your neurological knowledge with me but I still stand by what I said.
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #340
Botswana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Well if you love old aesthetics so much why stop at architecture?
Do you have any idea how flawed your logic is (Not that you seem to have much at all anyways)? Because I like old buildings, I must automatically like clothes from 1800 to, correct? Should I throw away my jeans and throw on the nearest leather pants I can find? Because I like certain old things, I must love all things that are old and shun all things that are new? Maybe you should just stop.

Quote:
It's not only buildings that are more simple/soulless/cold/whatever today but also clothes or interior design to name a few I don't see a reason why should we stop any progress just in architecture and not in communication for example.
What? I just like old architecture. Everything else you're bringing up makes no sense. This argument is frivolous. I have no problem with new architecture, as long as it doesn't upset the charm and beauty of old European cities. If somebody wanted to place a glass skyscraper in the middle of Venice, I'm sure you'd object too, no?

Quote:
Quite primitive ad personam but thats only to be expected from an old architecture lover
And here we have the ultimate example of a hypocrite. You seem to have a hatred for people who like old architecture. Were you molested by a baroque architect in your youth perhaps?

Quote:
Oh how I love arguments like that old architecture have beauty, charm, magic, soul, Jesus etc. and modern architecture don't because...well because.
Modern architecture has some beauty and some new skyscrapers today are very beautiful, but I'll take old European architecture over glass and metal any day. I'm sorry you have such a problem with other people's opinions. I suggest you grow up and stop obsessing over trivial things like this.

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture