daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #81
Svajoklis

Likes (Received): 0

Wonderful! What an absurd amount of beautiful cities...they just don't build them like they used to. But I agree with Christos - I don't see why we can't. Many of these buildings were built of styles that were at least a century old if not more. But what one notices even more is the pleasing density of the buildings - they create wonderful atmospheric squares, streets and larger cityscapes. Compare this to the newer architecture in the DDR part of Berlin - flat, featuresless expanses punctuated by the occassional featureless box. Horrid. They should rebuild it all!
Svajoklis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #82
Giri

Likes (Received): 37

That's just a matter of will and pride. Once architects understand there's no shame in imitating predecessors and when mayors develop a minimal architectural taste, Europe will be able to revive the glory of its destroyed towns.
Old December 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM   #83
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svajoklis
Wonderful! What an absurd amount of beautiful cities...they just don't build them like they used to. But I agree with Christos - I don't see why we can't. Many of these buildings were built of styles that were at least a century old if not more. But what one notices even more is the pleasing density of the buildings - they create wonderful atmospheric squares, streets and larger cityscapes. Compare this to the newer architecture in the DDR part of Berlin - flat, featuresless expanses punctuated by the occassional featureless box. Horrid. They should rebuild it all!
True... I would like to see all German cities rebuild themselves with classical-styled architecture, and North American cities filled those skyscrapers. Germans don't need them, and they don't like them, but their DDR/FRG fathers (born in 1910s/1920s/1930s) love commieblocks.
Old December 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM   #84
lindenthaler
ubahnista

Likes (Received): 175

Unfortunately this all remembers me on the book 1984, erasing the old history and replacing them with new structure, a big majority of people living here don't have idea hod did German cities looked like in pre-war times. It is sad there wasn't at least 80% reconstruction, if yes than only maybe marketplace or plain reconstruction in Nürnberg. When I am walking through cities here i always try to imagine how beautiful it was before... I hope sometimes in future the old glory will be restaurated!
lindenthaler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:36 PM   #85
HelloMoto163

Likes (Received): 65

i found "new" pics about berlin 1929

alexanderplatz

mühlendamm

rathaus

marien-kirche

u-bahn inselbrücke

kaiser wilhelm brücke

neue wache

zueghaus und kronprinzenpalast

schauspielhaus

bahnhof friedrichstraße

verlaghaus mosse

potsdamer platz

warenhaus werthheim

französische straße

reichstag

kaiser wilhelm gedächtniskirche

august viktoria platz

tiergarten

Highcliff liked this post
HelloMoto163 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM   #86
Pizarro

Likes (Received): 1

Today's architects do not have a clear vision of how cities should be built. In their attempt to avoid copying older styles, they create extravagant and outrageous architecture which just does not fit in with the older buildings. They do not understand the concept of "ensemble". It is possible to create new styles of architecture, yet maintain the characteristic features of a certain area so that the new buildings do not clash or ruin the older ones. For example, Venice has seen many different types of architecture ranging from romanesque, gothic, renessance, etc. but in the end, all houses are still characteristically "Venetian". In Germany, there has been a positive creative architecture movement in the 1990's, but that seems to be dissappearing in favor of a more brutalist movement lately, more in line with the 1970's except with more glass. A positive example of newer architecture which still blends in can be found in the new buildings (1990's) in the Hackescher Markt in Berlin. I will come up with other (and better) examples later.

Pizarro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #87
LoveCPH
Bonsoir l'Europe!

Likes (Received): 9

Unseen photos... Thank you again moto
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM   #88
LuckyLuke

yeah I agree with you Piazrro. Hackescher Markt is a good example of nice modern architecture.

Some more nice modern/old architecture in Berlin.

[/quote]

Source of pictures: http://www.aphforum.de
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #89
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

can we be more stupid than this? human race should be banned of this earth.

AWESOME thread Kampy! How is it possible that it took me this long to finally find it?

I had seen thousands of old black and white pics but this colored ones are just outstanding!!! Thanks a million!

For those who like old pics like myself, take a look at this:
www.bildindex.de
you are going to LOVE it!

Last edited by JohnnyMass; January 6th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #91
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

wow the architecture back then in germany was amazing, I seen buildings in other countries that are over 100 years old and they look like crap. Awesome post!
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #92
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

Architecture of late 19th century was probably the peak of beauty of cities. Nothing of the modern crap can ever match it

HURZ liked this post
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #93
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mesofius
Architecture of late 19th century was probably the peak of beauty of cities. Nothing of the modern crap can ever match it
100% agree, well said. Everything now is glass and all that crap..
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #94
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

That's the thing. Most average people like old architecture and would prefer if new buildings were built in a somewhat more conservative way. But then architects come along and tell us that that would be kitsch and that new and exciting stuffs needs to include giant glass facades etc.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #96
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5029

I don't understand why can't we copy that architecture again? Doesn't even have to be reconstructions, but building entirely new buildings in resemblance of late 19th and early 20th centuries architecture.

So what that it's kitch - if it looks good? After all, it's for the people, not classifications of whether its kitch or not.
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #97
Das Tier

Likes (Received): 4

@ Kampflamm

Wo hast Du denn die Bilder von der ersten Seite her? Ich bin mal dem Link gefolgt, aber da kann man sie sich leider nicht richtig (z.B.: nach Städten sortiert) anschauen, sieht mir eher so aus als ob sie nur dort auf dem Server liegen. Gibt es zu den Bildern nicht auch eine übersichtliche Website?
6.9.: San Marino - Deutschland 0:13
Das Tier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #98
LuckyLuke

nice photo of Cologne at the end of the 19th century

LuckyLuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #99
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5551

Awww...makes me wanna cry...

To all modern architects:
This was true beauty!
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #100
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Wo hast Du denn die Bilder von der ersten Seite her? Ich bin mal dem Link gefolgt, aber da kann man sie sich leider nicht richtig (z.B.: nach Städten sortiert) anschauen, sieht mir eher so aus als ob sie nur dort auf dem Server liegen. Gibt es zu den Bildern nicht auch eine übersichtliche Website?
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pp/pgzquery.html und dann nach Städten suchen.

Quite a few pics: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...::SortBy=DOCID

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture