daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #1461
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

del

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

timo9 liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; April 14th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1462
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

The good news is that no one had the interest or money to do anything to the property over the past 65 years. Had it been located in West Germany, for example, it may have had a glass dome constructed over the top of it and marketed as a museum piece to reflect the misery of war. That the ruins haven't been ruined gives hope it may, one day, be resurrected.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1463
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

The castle exteriors and interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lares View Post

1 Eingangshalle, 2 Treppenhaus, 3 Chinesischer Saal, 4 Geweih-Zimmer, 5 Blaues Herrenzimmer, 6 Schmelzenstube, 7 Blauer Salon, 8 Gelber Salon, 9 Rotes Eckkabinett, 10 Mopkenstube, 11 Nebentreppe im Nordflügel.

1 Eingangshalle

2 Treppenhaus

3 Chinesischer Saal

4 Geweih-Zimmer

5 Blaues Herrenzimmer

6 Schmelzenstube

7 Blauer Salon

8 Gelber Salon

12 Brauner Saal, 13 Napoleon-Vorstube, 14 Persische Vorstube, 15 Napoleon-Stube, 16 Nördliches Eckkabinett, 17 Persische Gesandten-Stube, 18 Persisches Kabinett, 19 Alte Bibliothek, 20 Neue Bibliothek, 21 Leutnantsstube, 22 Alte Komtessenstube, 23 Neue Komtessenstube, 24 Lederstube

12 Brauner Saal

13 Napoleon-Vorstube

14 Persische Vorstube

15 Napoleon-Stube

16 Napoleon-Kabinett, Nördliches Eckkabinett

17 Persische Gesandten-Stube

19 Alte Bibliothek

21 Leutnantsstube

smugler, erbse, GFM 3D, Highcliff liked this post
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1464
TimothyR
Ike

del

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

keepthepast, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; April 14th, 2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #1465
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

It's always so sad to see such beautiful buildings destroyed due only to the egos and stupidity of some men...
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #1466
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post

A masterpiece. A glimpse of a vanished world.

What a terrible century we have just lived through.

The end of Christian civilization, followed by war and chaos and nihilism.
Yes, and didn't have to happen.

I'd adjust the order of your last point thusly: War, chaos, and nihilism followed by the end of Christian civilization.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #1467
TimothyR
Ike

del

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Last edited by TimothyR; April 14th, 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #1468
bolg

Likes (Received): 758

Quote:

I rather have our 'nihilism' than wars of succesion, wars of independence, Napoleonic wars, wars over Silesia, northern wars, 30 years' war and the other shit that plagued pre 20th century Europe, even though the architecture was beautiful.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1469
keepthepast

We sure didn't need the conflicts, but had nihilism been more in play, we'd surely not have had the architecture and science the 19th and 20th centuries delivered either. We don't need to through the baby out with the bathwater and live empty lives in order to achieve peaceful greatness...just refuse to vote for the jerks who seem to win elections and be willing to throw the jerks out who steal power.
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1470
beefykeefy

Likes (Received): 19

Wow!!! Berlin really was a great looking city.

Dr.Mabuse, Highcliff liked this post
beefykeefy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1471
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:

I think it comes from our unwillingness to protect our culture and aesthetic traditions. As long as we have our circus and bread we will do nothing.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

Highcliff liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1472
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57850

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
The good news is that no one had the interest or money to do anything to the property over the past 65 years. Had it been located in West Germany, for example, it may have had a glass dome constructed over the top of it and marketed as a museum piece to reflect the misery of war. That the ruins haven't been ruined gives hope it may, one day, be resurrected.
You're wrong here. There's very few examples of such castle "abominations" in Germany. Such as Saarbrücken Castle (actually that's the only one I'm aware of). It doesn't even look that bad at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sc...ecken,_HDR.jpg

Actually, most castles in West Germany were faithfully and fantastically reconstructed like Bruchsal Castle:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...pa%C5%82ac.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rmorsaal_7.jpg

Würzburg Residence:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...r_Residenz.JPG

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._Wuerzburg.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...3%BCrzburg.JPG

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...,_Residenz.jpg

or Munich Residence.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...denz-bjs-1.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...C3%BCnchen.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...n-Residenz.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...nce_munich.jpg

I think, West Germany did an outstanding job on reconstructing its most important castles and churches. Not so much for patrician houses and other civilian buildings sadly...

GDR couldn't effort such reconstructions... Too bad. Otherwise the Berlin City Palace would be still standing e.g. (if it'd have been in West Germany, like Charlottenburg Palace).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1473
GFM 3D

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oslo2022 View Post
The castle exteriors and interiors.
Thank you for posting these pictures. Both plans will be useful to me (:
GFM 3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1474
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
By bombing Germany to shit the Allied clearly showed that they´re no better than the nazis.
Really?

So Americans/British = Nazis.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Old April 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #1475
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ No, because "Nazi" still refers to a specific political ideology the Allies didn't really carry.

But still, it's not really morally superior to bomb the shit out of a country and its defenseless people (as happened in Dresden and other cities), just for this country starting and carrying out a war. Oddly enough, even in Germany you're often referred to as a "Nazi" when stating such simple truths.

Sadly, the US keeps doing stuff like this.

Anyway, this is not a place for political discussion as stated several times before, so please refrain from it. This is a photo thread! Thanks.

Old April 14th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1476
TimothyR
Ike

I am sure you will find a few other posters who share your interesting views of Americans and of the Nazis.

A German victory would have turned Europe into a concentration camp. There are people who would have preferred a German victory in 1945 and there are those who despise Americans - but I avoid them.

Quote:
Anyway, this is not a place for political discussion as stated several times before, so please refrain from it. This is a photo thread! Thanks.
Never mind the nonsense. I was responding to another poster, as you know.

I will ignore your posts from now on - which is a shame, because I usually enjoy them - and leave the thread. Between you and Mr. Bricks I do not like where the direction of the 'discussion' is going...

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Last edited by TimothyR; April 14th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #1477
keepthepast

Quote:
A German victory would have turned Europe into a concentration camp. There are people who would have preferred a German victory in 1945 and there are those who despise Americans - but I avoid them.

I will ignore your posts from now on - which is a shame, because I usually enjoy them - and leave the thread. Between you and Mr. Bricks I do not like where the direction of the 'discussion' is going...
Taking a universal moral stance about the sins of war, regardless of winners or losers, does not lead to the conclusion that one would have preferred a different outcome to WWII. Such a leap is a bit unfair and superfluous, it seems to me, especially on this forum. Is discussion and opinion sharing not a good thing? To believe otherwise and shun free, critical thinking is the harsh opposite of the ideals that prevailed because of the victory over fascism. Hope you reconsider; your inputs and ideas are valued.

erbse, SonOfThomp, Highcliff liked this post
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1478
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
By whom? There are literally thousands(!) of castles and manors in similar conditions in former Eastern Germany. Objects like this usually get privatized since neither the communities nor the state can't afford to reconstruct them, and private investors surely can find better preserved ruins than this one.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #1479
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassiker View Post
to RS_UK-PL:

Germany had 100 cities with > 100.000 pop in 1940.
In the period 1925-1940 modern suburbs and buildings were built all over predominantly Gründerzeit looking urban Germany.

The war ravaged most large cities with some exceptions: München, Leipzig, Halle, Wiesbaden, Lübeck and Regensburg along with Göttingen, Erfurt, Görlitz, Heidelberg, Fürth, Erlangen came through with less than 33% destruction: all others not!................................................
I agree. Gottingen was only hit at the railway station as I am told, and Gorlitz appears 100% authentic to me.

PS:I would like to add something that many people don't know. The neustadt in Dresden (half the city east of the river Elbe) saw little destruction, and looks today as it was never hit by a bomb. Exeption is the first blocks in the "Hauptstrasse", wich of course should be rebuildt in original apperance IMO. BTW: I always recommend people who are interested in pre-war german arcitecture to visit Stralsund and Schwerin. Take the train from Hamburg or Berlin!
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1480
erbse
LIBERTINED

Görlitz indeed is one of the best kept gems in Central Europe. Should become UNESCO world heritage sooner or later.

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture