daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #1881
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

More from Nuremberg

Before:

Today:

Titan Man, City Cityzen, keepthepast liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #1882
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1921

Stuttgart. Hotel Marquardt

http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/heli...i/digilit.html
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #1883
soren5en

Dresden. Seevorstadt

Wiener Platz

Hohe Brücke

Wiener Platz

Prager Straße

Viktoriahaus

Bildindex
DF
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #1884
soren5en

Dresden. Innere Altstadt

Neues Rathaus

Neues Gewandhaus

Ringstraße.

Neues Rathaus

Landständische Bank

Reformierte Kirche

Hotel Minister

Bildindex
DF

ILOVENY, Titan Man, qjone2, Bosi, keepthepast and 9 others liked this post

Last edited by soren5en; May 15th, 2017 at 03:48 AM.
soren5en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #1885
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Apologies if these have been shown before.

Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #1886

Likes (Received): 93

This is so painful to watch. God what a beautiful cities, especially Dresden. And now the majority of this isn't there anymore. The loss of the cities is a loss of art, culture and national identity.

qjone2, ILOVENY, keepthepast liked this post
112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #1887
qjone2

Quote:
Apologies if these have been shown before.
Probably have been posted somewhere, but they're amazing. It's so much more about the humanity of the people than the buildings, though, which makes it especially great. A timeless portrait of humanity that transcends its physical setting
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #1888
qjone2

Magdeburg:

image hosted on flickr

Utterly leveled during WWII and further damaged by GDR mismanagement. A couple of Gründerzeit streets in the far south of the Altstadt, and some scattered administrative buildings are all that really remains in the centre. Fortunately, they are beautiful :

image hosted on flickr

Imagine if the city had somehow come out of the war unscathed ...

Would love to see some reconstructions in Magdeburg, once one of the most important cities in all of Europe, but I'm not sure it's politically ready yet for a such a change.

Last edited by qjone2; May 15th, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #1889
soren5en

Dresden. Innere Altstadt

Landständische Bank. Schulgasse on the right

The facade of the Städtische Sparkasse

Schulgasse corner. View to the Kreuzkirche

An der Kreuzkirche. Superintendenturgebäude

Pfarrgasse.The main entrance of the Landständische Bank on the right

The corner of An der Mauer on the left

An der Kreuzkirche

Altmarkt

DF UB

Last edited by soren5en; May 18th, 2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #1890
soren5en

Seestraße

Hotel Minister

An der Mauer. View to the Landständische Bank main entrance and Neues Rathaus tower

Seestraße. Cafe Altmarkt on the right

Altmarkt

Altes Rathaus

Schloßstraße

DF

Last edited by soren5en; May 19th, 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #1891
qjone2

Dresden was so beautiful

The sad part is the area between Wilsdruffer Strasse and the Ring (minus the Altmarkt Galerie) could be reconstructed if the political will was there. Some of the plots are even vacant, and the street plan is the same in some places and easily rectified in others. Does anyone know if all the Stalinist buildings to the East of the Altmarkt are heritage listed? I assume the one actually on the Altmarkt is, because it's particularly impressive, but the rest are very bland and wouldn't really be missed.

Unfortunately, some of the buildings in this area are relatively new. It seems no one even floated the idea of restoring the former appearance of such an important and historic part of Dresden.

Last edited by qjone2; May 18th, 2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #1892
qjone2

Double post.

Last edited by qjone2; May 18th, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #1893
qjone2

Completely unrelated to my last post, but some cool 3D visualisations of lost old structures in Hannover.

The Markthalle, destroyed in WWII:

The Flusswasserkunst, survived WWII with next to no damage but demolished in 1964:

(Skip to the end to see visualisation — no sound unfortunately)

There are plans to reconstruct this building in coming years, but I think they've lost some traction. Can someone maybe enlighten me on whether this project is dead in the water?

Last edited by qjone2; May 18th, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #1894
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
Dresden was so beautiful

The sad part is the area between Wilsdruffer Strasse and the Ring (minus the Altmarkt Galerie) could be reconstructed if the political will was there. Some of the plots are even vacant, and the street plan is the same in some places and easily rectified in others. Does anyone know if all the Stalinist buildings to the East of the Altmarkt are heritage listed? I assume the one actually on the Altmarkt is, because it's particularly impressive, but the rest are very bland and wouldn't really be missed.

Unfortunately, some of the buildings in this area are relatively new. It seems no one even floated the idea of restoring the former appearance of such an important and historic part of Dresden.
If it was up to me, I would even consider demolishing those Stalinist buildings if they would be replaced by faithful reconstructions of the prewar buildings. I mean, those Stalinist buildings are not bad or anything, it's just that the square looked way cozier and more intimate before the war, and there were many important buildings on those spots, like the Old City Hall. I know that chances for that are next to zero, but who knows...

Also, does anyone know which buildings were demolished to make way for Landständische Bank and Superintendenturgebäude? I remember seing photos of the previous Kreuzkirche in the ruins and next to it, on the plot that was occupied by these two buildings, were some quite beautiful Baroque buildings. It seems that Dresden had done quite some damage to its Baroque heritage even before the war (like Vienna), as many Baroque town palaces were destroyed and replaced by some new, I would say less architecturally valuable, buildings (which were very beautiful, but still...).

Urbanista1 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #1895
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
If it was up to me, I would even consider demolishing those Stalinist buildings if they would be replaced by faithful reconstructions of the prewar buildings. I mean, those Stalinist buildings are not bad or anything, it's just that the square looked way cozier and more intimate before the war, and there were many important buildings on those spots, like the Old City Hall.
I quite like them, especially the one on the eastern side of the square. They have a touch of something I can't quite explain, and it really sets them apart from most of their counterparts. As such, they add some finesse to an otherwise modern Altmarkt, and possess the potential to intergrate well should the surrounds ever be restored (fingers crossed ).

The buildings directly off the square are, as I said, horrible, and should be demolished in favour of reconstructions. Something also really ought to be done about the horrible modern facades of the Altmarkt Galerie, that run along Wilsdruffer Straße and the Ring. The whole structure just feels disjointed and odd. Maybe old facades could be restored in places, or maybe they could just convert them to a whole entity with some neoclassical elements to fit into the surrounds.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know which buildings were demolished to make way for Landständische Bank and Superintendenturgebäude? I remember seing photos of the previous Kreuzkirche in the ruins and next to it, on the plot that was occupied by these two buildings, were some quite beautiful Baroque buildings. It seems that Dresden had done quite some damage to its Baroque heritage even before the war (like Vienna), as many Baroque town palaces were destroyed and replaced by some new, I would say less architecturally valuable, buildings (which were very beautiful, but still...)
I think diversity is a good thing when all buildings in question bring something to the table and are visually pleasing. The old Dresden wouldn't be anywhere near are interesting had it been exclusively baroque. The idea of preserving past architecture is a relatively new phenomenon, and still isn't something that exists in most of the world. I'd wager that if modernism wasn't so widely disliked by the general populace, the notion of heritage listing would never have come around. Indeed, if I thought (most) modernist architecture was aesthetically pleasing and capable of intergreting into older architectual ensembles, I likely wouldn't be here arguing for reconstructions in cities like Dresden

I think the problem with modernism is that at its conception it was seen as representative of a utopian future that would be free of pestilence, war, and disorder (these notions are apparent in retro-futurism). This desire for cleanliness and order –a breakaway from the past chaos of Europe and the world generally– was exacerbated after the horrors of World War Two and went from 'clean' to 'sterile'. This is why the best examples of modernism are (IMO) found before the 1940s (some of which I actually really love ) and why the modern buildings of today are so often seen as unhuman and cold.

Last edited by qjone2; May 18th, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #1896
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Quote:
I quite like them, especially the one on the eastern side of the square. They have a touch of something I can't quite explain, and it really sets them apart from most of their counterparts. As such, they add some finesse to an otherwise modern Altmarkt, and possess the potential to intergrate well should the surrounds ever be restored (fingers crossed ).

The buildings directly off the square are, as I said, horrible, and should be demolished in favour of reconstructions. Something also really ought to be done about the horrible modern facades of the Altmarkt Galerie, that run along Wilsdruffer Straße and the Ring. The whole structure just feels disjointed and odd. Maybe old facades could be restored in places, or maybe they could just convert them to a whole entity with some neoclassical elements to fit into the surrounds.
Well, they are visually pleasing, but I think that the square and the street suffer because of them as both were enlarged after the war to be suitable to hold big military parades, which is unnecessary these days, and any reconstruction would look out of place now. I agree with you on other buildings, Dresden missed a big opportunity by allowing the construction of the Altmarkt Gallery.

Quote:
I think diversity is a good thing when all buildings in question bring something to the table and are visually pleasing. The old Dresden wouldn't be anywhere near are interesting had it been exclusively baroque. The idea of preserving past architecture is a relatively new phenomenon, and still isn't something that exists in most of the world. I'd wager that if modernism wasn't so widely disliked by the general populace, the notion of heritage listing would never have come around. Indeed, if I thought (most) modernist architecture was aesthetically pleasing and capable of intergreting into older architectual ensembles, I likely wouldn't be here arguing for reconstructions in cities like Dresden

I think the problem with modernism is that at its conception it was seen as representative of a utopian future that would be free of pestilence, war, and disorder (these notions are apparent in retro-futurism). This desire for cleanliness and order –a breakaway from the past chaos of Europe and the world generally– was exacerbated after the horrors of World War Two and went from 'clean' to 'sterile'. This is why the best examples of modernism are (IMO) found before the 1940s (some of which I actually really love ) and why the modern buildings of today are so often seen as unhuman and cold.
Well, Dresden grew considerably during the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. The Baroque core wasn't that big compared to the city as a whole so for me it would be reasonable for it to look as "Baroque" as it can be, only because the city had plenty of other areas with excellent examples of Historicism and Art Noveau that could easily outshine those buildings in the Altstadt that replaced some great Baroque (or even Renaissance) architecture. I mean, Dresden stopped being an "exclusively Baroque" city a long time before the war, so I just think that the best and most unique architecture should be brought back in areas that could be controversial due to many buildings being on the same spot during different historical periods, and for Dresden that's Baroque architecture. Anyway, this chat is quite pointless, I think, as Dresen probably won't reconstruct much after the Neumarkt is finished...

I completely agree with your opinion on postwar modernism, it was such a cancer that killed so many great cities...

qjone2 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:40 AM   #1897
qjone2

Some more pictures of Hannover. The greatest misfortune always seems to fall upon the most beautiful cities King George VI apparently tried to dissuade the RAF from levelling Hannover's historic districts, but was largely ignored.

(The Nazis destroyed this one themselves )

It seemed there were some wonderful Jungendstil/Art Nouveau buildings in old Hannover

Last edited by qjone2; May 19th, 2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #1898
qjone2

Hannover again ...

TM_Germany, Titan Man, keepthepast liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:05 AM   #1899
qjone2

The stylish old department stores of Germany. Often built at the end of the 19th century/beginning of the 20th century, they were innovative in their use of glass. Very few survived the war, and those that did were often demolished/transformed beyond recognition. One survives in Görlitz, and is particularly popular as a set for films.

Berlin:

Dresden:

Stuttgart:

Hannover:

Quote:
Just goes to show that glass can work well with older styles and forms

Last edited by qjone2; May 22nd, 2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:00 AM   #1900
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

It makes me so very sad everytime I open this thread with each new batch of photos of German cities lost in the war. Such great loss, I hope that humanity learns its lesson.

qjone2 liked this post
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture