daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:46 PM   #1901
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren5en View Post
Well, at least this view is back:

IMG_6529 by Uscatu.net, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #1902
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58010

And all thanks to adorable reconstructions, initiated by the proud citizens of Dresden!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

qjone2, jose valderama, The Eagle liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:35 AM   #1903
Jaborandi

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtAkAw View Post
It makes me so very sad everytime I open this thread with each new batch of photos of German cities lost in the war. Such great loss, I hope that humanity learns its lesson.
Unfortunately, not so far. sigh
Old May 24th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #1904
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaborandi View Post
Unfortunately, not so far. sigh
I think Europe at least learned a lot from WWII, especially Germany. The continent, and Germany in particular, is very pacifist, a marked turn around from the beginning of the 20th century, where they were practically baying for each other's blood in a lot of places. There are tensions, sure, and a moderate rise in nationalistic sentiment, but I don't think this is likely to translate into inter-European conflict. The collapse of the Yogoslavia and the Soviet Union resulted in conflict a few decades ago, yes, but even those areas are mediating themselves. That said, Russia is unpredictable and I have no doubt Serbia would invade Kosovo if given the chance.

erbse liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #1905
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58010

All true, but let's not get too much into geopolitical predictions here.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

soren5en, qjone2 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #1906
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1922

Old May 25th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #1907
qjone2

Wonderful video! Viewing the old city from street level like that really demonstrates the beauty of it all Very sad.

Fortunately, there are renewed calls for reconstructions in Dresden! The Semperclub wishes for the reconstruction of the Palais Oppenheim near the Burgerwiese, citing that it was a valuable example of neoclassical architecture in Germany, and was an important centre of Jewish culture. This comes amidst plans to redevelop the Lignerstadt in modern form.

Titan Man liked this post
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #1908
aitante68

Likes (Received): 15

Hello Everybody. I would like to thanks this forum....I just came back from a trip in Germany, i have visited nurnberg, and to be honest i hoped to find more old architecture. city is still nice, but i have seen many horrible buildings in the center that ruins the view...Thanks to this forum i can see how beautiful the city was before the war...It's really a pity that they don't rebuild more historical buildings.. I think Munchen did a better job... Some buildings, especially architecture of '50 are really a punch in the eye...

qjone2, erbse, keepthepast liked this post
aitante68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #1909
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitante68 View Post
Hello Everybody. I would like to thanks this forum....I just came back from a trip in Germany, i have visited nurnberg, and to be honest i hoped to find more old architecture. city is still nice, but i have seen many horrible buildings in the center that ruins the view...Thanks to this forum i can see how beautiful the city was before the war...It's really a pity that they don't rebuild more historical buildings.. I think Munchen did a better job... Some buildings, especially architecture of '50 are really a punch in the eye...
The sad thing is it would be quite easy to restore a lot of the buildings in Nuremberg to their pre-war appearance if only the money was there. Because politicians will almost never commit to this kind of work, funds can only be raised through public donation, or, alternatively, investors, should they make the unlikely decision to restore a building.
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #1910
qjone2

Poznan/Posen:

Szczecin/Stettin:

(There are ongoing plans to reconstruct this fountain. The original mysteriously disappeared during in the war, likely stolen so that its copper could be melted down for use.)

Overall the Poles did a great job in reconstructing Poznan, and it looks to be a very charming city. I have no doubt, though, that they removed traces of its German history, like they did in other formerly German cities. Unfortunately, the river that passed by the old town was diverted to the east in the 1960s. As such, there is an odd gulf between the old town and the water front.

Szczecin was less successful, but is still very nice and would be even nicer if they restored the buildings in its centre, which have all become varying shades of brown with time

Titan Man, erbse, City Cityzen, Nando_ros liked this post

Last edited by qjone2; May 26th, 2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #1911
bablaze

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
I have no doubt, though, that they removed traces of its German history, like they did in other formerly German cities.
Maybe I didn't understood you correctly, but do you consider Poznan to be historically German city? There are many formely German cities in Poland today (Danzig, Breslau, Stetten), but Poznan is not one of them, as far as I'm concerned (although I appreciate and acknowledge richness that some polish cities got under german time).

Quote:
There are ongoing plans to reconstruct this fountain. The original mysteriously disappeared during in the war, likely stolen so that its copper could be melted down for use.
Same situation happenned in Bydgoszcz (Bromberg) with "Flut" fountain made by Ferdinand Lepcke. German soldiers melted it for ammunition during II world war. We managed to rebuild it in 2014.

Titan Man, City Cityzen, erbse liked this post
bablaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #1912
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bablaze View Post
Maybe I didn't understood you correctly, but do you consider Poznan to be historically German city? There are many formely German cities in Poland today (Danzig, Breslau, Stetten), but Poznan is not one of them, as far as I'm concerned (although I appreciate and acknowledge richness that some polish cities got under german time).
I didn't say Poznan was historically German in the proper sense, only that whatever traces they left were likely removed in the reconstruction phases. And traces definitely did exist. Poznan had a strong German minority (and thus influence) since the Middle Ages, and was absorbed by Prussia in the 1840s. Policies of Germanisation, especially after unification in 1870, resulted in a marked increase in the German population. I think I've read somewhere that towards the end of the 19th century, the Germans made up more than 50% of Poznan's population. In the rapid growth of the industrial period, the German influence definitely would have shown, and very probably would have been removed after WWII.

Quote:
Same situation happenned in Bydgoszcz (Bromberg) with "Flut" fountain made by Ferdinand Lepcke. German soldiers melted it for ammunition during II world war. We managed to rebuild it in 2014.

Wonderful to hear it was been restored! Beautiful.

Titan Man, The Eagle, keepthepast liked this post
Old May 30th, 2017, 04:29 AM   #1913
qjone2

Chemnitz:

Last edited by qjone2; May 30th, 2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #1914
soren5en

Dresden. Wilsdruffer Vorstadt

DF
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #1915
soren5en

Ostra-Allee

Bildindex
DF

Last edited by soren5en; May 30th, 2017 at 11:46 PM.
soren5en está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:45 AM   #1916

Likes (Received): 93

Any rich investors here?
112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 02:26 AM   #1917
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112998 View Post
Any rich investors here?
I wish. If only Bill Gates had an intense interest in Dresden
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:56 AM   #1918
Nando_ros

Likes (Received): 25961

Cranz (Zelenogradsk), East Prussia

Cranz - Corso 1911 by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Schlosshotel by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Kurhaus by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Kurhaus by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - ev. Adalbertkirche by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Koenigsberger Strasse by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Villa Victoria by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Hotel Monopol by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Hotel Monopol by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr

Cranz - Hotel Meeresblick by Bernhard Waldmann, en Flickr
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:44 AM   #1919
qjone2

Konigsberg:

Today it's almost certainly the ugliest formerly-German city, and perhaps one of the ugliest in Europe.

Last edited by qjone2; May 31st, 2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 31st, 2017, 04:54 PM   #1920
qjone2

More from Konigsberg/Kaliningrad

I've heard some people say Konigsberg was no great loss architecturally, and I really really have to disagree. It looked to be an amazing city, especially with all that water. The upside is that so much of the old town could be easily reconstructed if Kaliningrad had any money (which it really doesn't, unfortunately) because the city has so much open land, especially around the centre, which means far fewer costs in regards to demolition. It's essentially what Dresden was before reunification. I really hope that plans to reconstruct the centre come to fruition at some point, because there's so much potential for Kaliningrad to be beautiful.

Last edited by qjone2; May 31st, 2017 at 05:10 PM.

Tags
alemania, classic architecture, classic europe, galerie, gdańsk, heritage, historical architecture