daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #1
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

DISCUSS: Does Size Matter?

This is a bit of a provocative topic, but here we go.

So when I was a child I first heard of the tallest building in the world being constructed (Petronas Towers by the time) and was amazed by its beauty and its size. More than a decade later, when I actually got to see it, I saw the Burj Khalifa just a few weeks before. The comparison burnt itself into my mind. Although I still think that the Petronas Towers has one of the best designs in highrises, I will always look at the (much) taller buildings and think that they are more impressive and give me a bigger 'wow moment', even if I do like the design less. The same happened in Shanghai, I liked the design of the Shanghai World Financial Center more than Shanghai Tower, but my eyes always went towards Shanghai Tower as when you look at it and look up, it just keeps going, floor on top of floor on top of floor, I kept looking at it and thinking how ridiculously tall that building is and what a crazy we live in that we can build these crazy structures. This change of mind has never made me apprechiate some of the smaller skyscrapers less, it just made it more difficult for me to compare some buildings with each other. When I see a one-on-one of a beloved smaller supertall (chrysler or shard for instance) compared against a true monster that is not as famous, I can never understand how the true monster can lose. If I stand in front of a megatall, it is just a completely different feeling and it plays in a different league for me. SO what about you guys, do you feel similar or have opposing views?

TowerVerre:) liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
DowntownKidz

Likes (Received): 298

Depends on context IMO. If the 2 buildings were near each other or side by side, then the bulk of the bigger building would still arrest the attention of your eyes, unless there was something flashy about the smaller building. This would be less of an issue if the buildings were in 2 separate cities, unless your memory has been seared.

Even a 20-storey highrise would still be the focal point amidst a sea of cottages.

KillerZavatar liked this post
DowntownKidz no está en línea   Reply With Quote