daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Jasonzed

Likes (Received): 1573

MISSISSAUGA | M City | 200m+ | 60 fl | 51-21 fl x 9 | Pro

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...est-tower.html

M City flagship to hit new heights as Mississauga’s tallest tower

By Tess KalinowskiReal Estate Reporter

Tues., Jan. 17, 2017

Mississauga’s skyline will climb higher and take on another distinctive shape when the first of 10 proposed towers in the Rogers M City development rises at the corner of Burnhamthorpe Rd. and Confederation Pkwy.

The flagship M City building will stand 60 storeys, making it the tallest in Mississauga, and feature an undulating design that bookends the 50- and 56-storeys in the curvy Absolute towers to the east.

“It was our intention to do something truly iconic to frame the downtown. We think this building really does achieve that,” said Mark Reeve, a partner in Urban Capital Developments, the company working with Rogers Real Estate Developments to build M City.

“The design is quite unique. We thought it was a wonderful response to how popular the design of Absolute towers was,” he said.

CORE Architects was selected from among three Toronto firms for its rectangular floor plate design that is visually arresting but maintains conventional, efficient floor plans.

The design is intended to be “iconic yet simple — something that would last the test of time,” said CORE Architects’ Babak Eslahjou.

“We wanted to have an undulating movement in the tower that rose up towards the sky and faded away in the clouds. We have seven different floor plates that rotate one way and then the other. It gives you the impression that it’s just rising up. That’s the reason we don’t have a hat if you will (on the building). It just kind of ends on its own. It helps your eye just go up and down,” he said.

The glass on the balconies appears white, allowing the form of the tower to be read better. It also obscures some of the items people tend to store outside their units, Eslahjou said.

Cities need a mix of utilitarian buildings and more iconic architecture, he said.

“We’re trying to have a distinct design element but it is still a residential building that serves all the purposes and needs of the inhabitants. It’s still about how you’re living in it and how it lives in the city,” Eslahjou said.

The first phase of M City is expected to launch in early March and will include 784 residential units ranging from over 400 sq. ft. to about 900 sq. ft., with one- to three-bedroom suites. Some penthouses will be larger. Prices start at about $200,000.

M City will have a range of amenities, many of them family friendly, from the usual gym and party room, to a splash pad and an outdoor swimming pool.

There’s also a proposal for a skating rink on the tower’s podium in the winter, Reeve said.

The plan is to break ground late this year or early 2018 with a target occupancy in late 2021 or early 2022. The entire 10-tower development is expected to take 10 to 15 years, depending on market conditions.

“Around Square One you’ll continue to see the evolution of more commercial office development as well as new retail concepts. More of the residential density will be concentrated just outside the immediate Square One environment,” Reeve said.

The inspiration for the project was Mississauga’s Downtown 21 plan, said John Anderton, vice-president, treasurer of Rogers Telecommunications Limited.

“We’ve bought right into that. The master plan for our community incorporates all the principles that are embodied in that plan,” he said.

The idea is to intensify the residential and commercial development of Mississauga’s downtown and animate it with more vibrant public spaces, walkable streets and easy access to public transit, including the coming Hurontario LRT, said Mayor Bonnie Crombie.

“We are building a complete city — a place where people can live, work, earn an education and enjoy an unrivalled quality of life — all within their community. This landmark development will redefine the western edge of downtown Mississauga and add to our growing skyline,” Crombie said in a statement.

Please visit myMississauga thread in Urban Showcase
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=641695

myPictures and drone videos
www.jasonzedsky.com

Last edited by kanye; January 19th, 2017 at 08:03 PM.
Jasonzed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #2
Jasonzed

www.jasonzedsky.com

Jan, aquaticko, Victoria123, ВОДА liked this post
Old January 18th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #3
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

TORONTO-MISSISSAUGA | M City | App & Pro

del/

Last edited by Victoria123; January 22nd, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 15832

Nice, just added this one as the new skyscraper of the day on our twitter feed: https://twitter.com/skyscrapercity

isaidso, Jasonzed liked this post
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #5
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Nice to see Missy join the 200m club.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Jasonzed liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #6
Jasonzed

Going to make quite the impact...

www.jasonzedsky.com

Victoria123 liked this post
Old January 19th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #7
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57855

What a grotesque cityscape... All that free space and... skyscrapers.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Mississauga basically grew as a suburban bedroom community of Toronto. It's now attempting to morph into a proper city with its own downtown. It will take creative solutions and decades but I hope they can pull it off.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

erbse liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
lol Pretty much the entirety of Toronto's suburbs is depressing.
The problem is not the cityscape but its animation.

Hopefully Mississauga will get more projects like Burnaby (Vancouver).

https://youtu.be/V23reTmekv8

erbse liked this post

Last edited by Victoria123; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:43 PM   #10
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
lol Pretty much the entirety of Toronto's suburbs is depressing.
I don't agree with that. It runs the gamut from idyllic to brutal.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Victoria123

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I don't agree with that. It runs the gamut from idyllic to brutal.
Obviously my personal opinion based on what I've seen and experienced in Markham. Erbse describes it well, desolate and grotesque.

gbc105, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #12
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57855

Obviously the region could need a good shovel of New Urbanism for its suburban communities, to de-suburbanise them...

More places like Cornell/Ontario, McKenzie Towne and UniverCity maybe?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #13
isaidso
the new republic

Thanks for those links. I'm not familiar with any of those master planned communities but it's always good to study other places. One can adopt best practices and see how creative approaches can be applied in ones own city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria123 View Post
Obviously my personal opinion based on what I've seen and experienced in Markham. Erbse describes it well, desolate and grotesque.
The pre-war suburbs like Cabbagetown and the Annex are the best and quite idyllic. The vast majority of suburbs in the City of Toronto are pre-war. Markham, Mississauga, and Vaughan are suburbs outside the City of Toronto and speak to the auto centric post war culture that existed when they were built.

Painting all metro Toronto suburbs with the same brush isn't fair. Someone not familiar with this city wouldn't get an accurate idea of what our suburbs look like based on your post.

Places like Mississauga aren't my cup of tea either but it should be commended for trying to fix urban planning mistakes. If they're successful it will have ramifications for cities across north America that also have auto centric suburbs.

Last edited by isaidso; January 27th, 2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old January 27th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #14
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Thanks for those links. I'm not familiar with any of those master planned communities but it's always good to study other places. One can adopt best practices and see how creative approaches can be applied in ones own city.

The pre-war suburbs like Cabbagetown and the Annex are the best and quite idyllic. The vast majority of suburbs in the City of Toronto are pre-war. Markham, Mississauga, and Vaughan are suburbs outside the City of Toronto and speak to the auto centric post war culture that existed when they were built.

Painting all metro Toronto suburbs with the same brush isn't fair. Someone not familiar with this city wouldn't get an accurate idea of what our suburbs look like based on your post.

Places like Mississauga aren't my cup of tea either but it should be commended for trying to fix urban planning mistakes. If they're successful it will have ramifications for cities across north America that also have auto centric suburbs.
I think once the Hurontario LRT is built, that will be a game changer for Mississauga. Then we will see high density projects such as the one in Burnaby being built in Mississauga.

Maybe in the future, the Eglinton LRT will extended to the Airport and from there to Hurontario LRT creating a supernode at Hurontario and Eglinton will massive commercial, retail and office development at that intersection.

isaidso liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:29 AM   #15
Jasonzed

Move over Toronto, Mississauga has its own condo boom
http://www.metronews.ca/your-home/to...ndo-boom-.html

www.jasonzedsky.com

Last edited by Jasonzed; January 27th, 2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old January 28th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #16
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I think once the Hurontario LRT is built, that will be a game changer for Mississauga. Then we will see high density projects such as the one in Burnaby being built in Mississauga.

Maybe in the future, the Eglinton LRT will extended to the Airport and from there to Hurontario LRT creating a supernode at Hurontario and Eglinton will massive commercial, retail and office development at that intersection.
Do you think it can be done with Square One staying as it is? It kills any semblance of an urban downtown feel with all life sucked off the street and inside a building. Malls tend to do that. The only place I've ever experienced that manages to over come that is downtown Toronto with the Eaton Centre. Even there the sidewalk next to the mall is rather lifeless. It only picks up at each end where the mall stops and to some degree on the east side of Yonge along the mall.

Old January 28th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #17
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Do you think it can be done with Square One staying as it is? It kills any semblance of an urban downtown feel with all life sucked off the street and inside a building. Malls tend to do that. The only place I've ever experienced that manages to over come that is downtown Toronto with the Eaton Centre. Even there the sidewalk next to the mall is rather lifeless. It only picks up at each end where the mall stops and to some degree on the east side of Yonge along the mall.
I think once LRT is built, there will no longer be a need for that massive parking spots and that can all get developed into multi-use developments like condos, office space with cafes and lounges on the ground floor.

Square one is a massive monolith, but if you develop the parking lots, that reduces its impact.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Jasonzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I think once LRT is built, there will no longer be a need for that massive parking spots and that can all get developed into multi-use developments like condos, office space with cafes and lounges on the ground floor.

Square one is a massive monolith, but if you develop the parking lots, that reduces its impact.
Here is what the owners of SQ1 have in mind for the area...

www.jasonzedsky.com

AbdurrehmanKhan liked this post

Last edited by Jasonzed; January 31st, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:56 PM   #19
AbdurrehmanKhan

Likes (Received): 6682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzed View Post
Here is what the owners of SQ1 have in mind for the area...

So where would you park your car then? They should make taller buildings by the way.
AbdurrehmanKhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:35 PM   #20
in'sauga

Likes (Received): 58

The Mississauga skyline is quite impressive and only getting better.. there isn't an urban feel though but the LRT I'm sure will change that. Square One does occupy a huge portion of downtown but it can be integrated better with when some of the surface lots get redeveloped. We'll likely end up having some multilevel parking facades built to accommodate drivers. There is a large number of developments either in progress or in the works for MCC far more than many Canadian cities are experiencing so we can expect to see a huge impact on the skyline likely in a very short span of time which is exciting.

AbdurrehmanKhan liked this post
in'sauga no está en línea   Reply With Quote