daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:28 AM   #1
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,341
Likes (Received): 8235

CHICAGO | Thompson Center Redevelopment | 518m | 1700ft | 115 fl | Pro

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...15-story-tower



As the article states, it is unlikely to bear fruits though
__________________
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:35 AM   #2
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

It's just conceptual to what it could be, it is likely who ever buys the site will turn it into a supertall.
__________________
......
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:40 AM   #3
Torch
Registered User
 
Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 485
Likes (Received): 1014

Cool, that you've started a thread about this.

Here Helmut Jahn's suggestion for the project, so his building could be preserved.


http://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/20/...enter-proposal
__________________
Torch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:19 AM   #4
enrigue8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ottawa
Posts: 643
Likes (Received): 709

Wow !
It s a very beautiful project .
__________________
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:47 AM   #5
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
 
JuanPaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 20,780
Likes (Received): 31721

L O V E Helmut Jhan's proposal!
__________________
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:13 AM   #6
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,341
Likes (Received): 8235

I think jahns proposal fits better to Chicago, but I would be happy with any proposal. Either way the location is better than the chicago spire was. More central
__________________
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:53 AM   #7
TheIllinoisan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
It's just conceptual to what it could be, it is likely who ever buys the site will turn it into a supertall.
What makes you think it is likely to be redeveloped as a supertall? I think its more likely that if the building is demolished, then the entire block will just become another block 37 fiasco. And it would be even more of a dissapointment here because the Thompson Center is an iconic piece of architecture. It would be tragic if some crappy glass-box stumps replaced it. Unfortunately, developers in this city care about short term gain, not long term potential. The majority of them are shortsighted, cheap, and stupid.

Nonetheless, it would be nice if this were developed into something very tall. The location makes this the perfect spot for a new tallest, as it would appear near the center of the Chicago skyline from many of the most prominent photography vantages.

I want to emphasize that the building currently on this site is trully spectacular, and should only be demolished if there is a solid plan in place to quickly replace it with something equally spectacular.
__________________

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; January 22nd, 2017 at 02:04 AM.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 02:59 AM   #8
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
What makes you think it is likely to be redeveloped as a supertall? I think its more likely that if the building is demolished, then the entire block will just become another block 37 fiasco. And it would be even more of a dissapointment here because the Thompson Center is an iconic piece of architecture. It would be tragic if some crappy glass-box stumps replaced it. Unfortunately, developers in this city care about short term gain, not long term potential. The majority of them are shortsighted, cheap, and stupid.

Nonetheless, it would be nice if this were developed into something very tall. The location makes this the perfect spot for a new tallest, as it would appear near the center of the Chicago skyline from many of the most prominent photography vantages.

I want to emphasize that the building currently on this site is trully spectacular, and should only be demolished if there is a solid plan in place to quickly replace it with something equally spectacular.
I don't think the retail market is strong enough for another block 37. This is arguably the best block in the city, and we are seeing plenty of non-cheap projects in Chicago. Just because it's in the loop doesn't mean it'll be another Block 37
__________________
......
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:02 AM   #9
TheIllinoisan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
I don't think the retail market is strong enough for another block 37. This is arguably the best block in the city, and we are seeing plenty of non-cheap projects in Chicago. Just because it's in the loop doesn't mean it'll be another Block 37
Nothing is certain at this point. However, the land that the block 37 garbage was built on was some of the best land in downtown Chicago as well. The good location didnt stop that tragedy from happening, though. I hope my fears are proven wrong.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 04:21 AM   #10
Antonio227
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Córdoba, Argentina
Posts: 2,081
Likes (Received): 3074

#3.

Very futuristic. Even if improbable, it's a nice design.
__________________
Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #11
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher
 
Uaarkson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Side Flint
Posts: 2,527
Likes (Received): 1028

It's only a matter of time before one of these mega-towers starts up in Chicago. I'd even bet the first 500m+ building in the country will belong to Chicago.
Uaarkson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #12
luisandrex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 90
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
It's only a matter of time before one of these mega-towers starts up in Chicago. I'd even bet the first 500m+ building in the country will belong to Chicago.
Isn't the One World Trade Center 546mts high?
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
luisandrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #13
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisandrex View Post
Isn't the One World Trade Center 546mts high?
He means by roof
__________________
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #14
TheIllinoisan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
He means by roof
He means the height excluding the Popsicle stick.
__________________
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #15
elliot42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Louis
Posts: 124
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Nothing is certain at this point. However, the land that the block 37 garbage was built on was some of the best land in downtown Chicago as well. The good location didnt stop that tragedy from happening, though. I hope my fears are proven wrong.
Block 37 was never meant to be anything other than a plaza, and I suspect the reason it doesn't succeed is that people can feel this in their bones and just don't want to shop there. That, and the fact that it's just a crappy design.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #16
enrigue8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: ottawa
Posts: 643
Likes (Received): 709

Please build this tower !
__________________
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 06:32 AM   #17
TheIllinoisan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 414
Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot42 View Post
Block 37 was never meant to be anything other than a plaza, and I suspect the reason it doesn't succeed is that people can feel this in their bones and just don't want to shop there. That, and the fact that it's just a crappy design.
What the hell are you talking about? Block 37 was densely populated by retail/commercial users since the 19th century. It wasnt until Supreme Leader Daley demolished it in the late 80's that there were any supposed proposals for a plaza. Hell, even Daley himself expected mixed-use skyscraper(s) to occupy the block. For crying out loud, one of the most significant plazas in the city is ALREADY located a block away. The pathetic buildings that currently occupy block 37 are only there because of a combination of idiotic city governance and short-sighted/idiotic private developers. Block 37 could have been At LEAST 5x greater than the current finished product if it weren't for short sighted, low intelligence-quotient monkeys dictating the "development".

Furthermore, a "feel-it-in-your-bones" argument has ABSOLUTELY no place in modern urban planning.
__________________
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #18
elliot42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Louis
Posts: 124
Likes (Received): 50

Look at City hall and Marshall Fields: same height, exterior materials, built around the same time. (before and after Chicago plan). Around this same two-block perimeter stands two theatres, the reliant building (Daniel Burnham), and the Chicago Temple. Considering how the planners, businessmen, and architects of the day would've been very aware of the central squares and plazas of Europe, It surely looks like they took the idea and ran with it. Plus, remember that when this was a 'vacant lot' (with an ice rink no less), it had an 8-foot high plywood fence around it for 17 YEARS! Why would anyone do that when none of the other half-dozen or so(?) lots in the loop and near north side have no such fence, and never did? (I'm talking vacant lots, not construction sites). Hell; even the Great Hole that was to be the Spire only has a chain link fence around it. So the only rationale I can think of is that the developers/owners/mayor knew what I know, that if the sightlines across Block 37 were unobstructed, the public would see what I see and demand it be part of Daley Plaza.

I'll tell you what though; if Block 37 were so successful that the City decided they didn't need another damn casino, I'd be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Block 37 was densely populated by retail/commercial users since the 19th century. It wasnt until Supreme Leader Daley demolished it in the late 80's that there were any supposed proposals for a plaza. Hell, even Daley himself expected mixed-use skyscraper(s) to occupy the block. For crying out loud, one of the most significant plazas in the city is ALREADY located a block away. The pathetic buildings that currently occupy block 37 are only there because of a combination of idiotic city governance and short-sighted/idiotic private developers. Block 37 could have been At LEAST 5x greater than the current finished product if it weren't for short sighted, low intelligence-quotient monkeys dictating the "development".

Furthermore, a "feel-it-in-your-bones" argument has ABSOLUTELY no place in modern urban planning.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 04:01 AM   #19
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡
 
Buffaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo Southtowns, New York
Posts: 3,768
Likes (Received): 2103

I have no clue what the significance of Block 37 is. But I hope this doesn't have the same fate as the Spire.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #20
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I have no clue what the significance of Block 37 is. But I hope this doesn't have the same fate as the Spire.
It's a transit stop/pedestrian mall that is mostly empty.
__________________

Buffaboy, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu