daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #81
AstroBoy

Likes (Received): 3

I love that building, one of Europe's finest looking theatres.
AstroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #82
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Likes (Received): 161

LF, those are awesome shots of HNK! Great job!
bubach_hlubach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #83
THERENNAISSANCEMAN
BANNED

BEAUTIFUL , INFORMATIVE PHOTOGRAPHS

DEAR SIR : I MUST CONGRATULATE YOU FOR SUCH A JOB WELL DONE I REALLY HAD A WONDERFUL TIME ADMIRING THOSE CHARMING PHOTOS OF ZAGREB , YUGOSLAVIA . I REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I EVER CAME ACROSS THIS PLACE WAS IN THE JAMES BOND MOVIE FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE WHEN SEAN CONNERY S ORIENT EXPRESS TRAIN STOPPED BY THIS POINT IN ORDER TO RENDEZVOUS WITH ANOTHER BRITISH AGENT . THE PHOTOS YOU TOOK ARE QUITE NICE AND THEY LET EVERYONE SEE THIS FAR PART OF THE WORLD FROM THE COMFORT OF THEIR COMPUTER SCREENS . YOU ARE INDEED GIFTED WITH A FINE EYE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY AS THE OLD EUROPEAN BUILDINGS WERE SHOWN IN SUCH GOOD LIGHT CHEERS !!! THERENNAISSANCEMAN
THERENNAISSANCEMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM   #84
long foot
otišao i neće se vratiti

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERENNAISSANCEMAN
DEAR SIR : I MUST CONGRATULATE YOU FOR SUCH A JOB WELL DONE I REALLY HAD A WONDERFUL TIME ADMIRING THOSE CHARMING PHOTOS OF ZAGREB , YUGOSLAVIA . I REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I EVER CAME ACROSS THIS PLACE WAS IN THE JAMES BOND MOVIE FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE WHEN SEAN CONNERY S ORIENT EXPRESS TRAIN STOPPED BY THIS POINT IN ORDER TO RENDEZVOUS WITH ANOTHER BRITISH AGENT . THE PHOTOS YOU TOOK ARE QUITE NICE AND THEY LET EVERYONE SEE THIS FAR PART OF THE WORLD FROM THE COMFORT OF THEIR COMPUTER SCREENS . YOU ARE INDEED GIFTED WITH A FINE EYE FOR PHOTOGRAPHY AS THE OLD EUROPEAN BUILDINGS WERE SHOWN IN SUCH GOOD LIGHT CHEERS !!! THERENNAISSANCEMAN
Thanks, THERENNAISSANCEMAN!

Just a little corection: Zagreb is not in Yugoslavia any more, from 1991. it is capital of Croatia.

p.s. next time press caps lock when writing
long foot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #85
long foot
otišao i neće se vratiti

Yesterday I took more down town pictures.

Let's start with a coffee in Godot, one of my favourite cafes in Savska

Hoto Tower from Godot's terace:

Hoto and Cibona:

Savska:

Mimara

Westin and Mimara:

Roosevelt's square (in front of Mimara):

Eugen Kumičić, unimportant Croatian writer:

Lack od inspiration?

Klaićeva street:

Theatre square:

University:

Renovations on theatre square:

Hebrangova:

Lutheran church?

This is part of Hoto's Castellum center in Hebrangova, it was HQ of HT before they moved to Hoto Tower in Savska:

Down town is full of this old facades which cry for renovation:

Gajeva:

Katančićeva:

They are building new pedestal for Strossmayer's monument:

August Šenoa, writer:

Corner Hatzova/Petrinjska:

Hotel Astoria, recently opened in Petrinjska:

Old facades:

Palmotićeva:

Church in Palmotićeva:

Down town street:

Corner Draškovićeva/Kralja Držislava:

Draškovićeva:

Sheraton Hotel – one of the best modern interpolaton in down town:

Corner Mislavova/Draškovićeva:

Branimirova

Waiting tram for New Zagreb

Highcliff liked this post
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #86
AstroBoy

Fantastic pictures Long Foot. You really went for a wonder thru the downtown districts. Thanks for these pics. Some of the streets are familiar while quite a few aren't. There are so many historic buildings that in time when they all get restored the old city centre will look great. But I can see many changes since I was in Zagreb from last time.
AstroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM   #87
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Najs Djab, LF I really like the way you take pics all around

Btw, hehe, dont you tell me you're poor, poor people cant afford to go to Godot, or maybe you even went to Glembay's, looked that way at least
And what's up with an empty ashtray on your table? Seems like i am only one smoking here :p

Anyways, i am gonna add something about those old facades.
I've read that from all Central European capitals; Zagreb (along with Budapest) is right behind Vienna and Prague by the number of historical buildings per square meter. There are a couple thousands of old classicism and secessionist buildings located in Zagreb's lower town.
Now, the main reason, why many dont seem to be very well taken care of, is the city's approach to this problem. The city participates with only 25 percent in covering all renovation expenses, which is a total bull if you ask me, they should cover at least 80 percent ! Next thing that drastically slows down fast renovation plans is unresolved ownership over many buildings which i was writting about in Zagreb's Construction thread already. There is a whole bunch of old people - senior citizens living in lower town. Most of these people do not own buildings or apartments, than they inherited what is called 'stanarsko pravo' from old system, so they could care less what their building looks like. They only care about having a place for living! That's it.
BTW, there has been some progress made with renovation, but not nearly as fast as it should it be. I dont see any possibilities for these buildings to be renovated 'overnight' as long as the problems from above remain, and this may take years, unfortunately.

Old April 19th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #88
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 102

Very interesting information Bubach. I agree with you in regards to the protection of facades and the imput the city council plays or "pays" should be considerably higher. The difference between Zagreb and Prague is the immaculate condition of the city centre in Prague. It really enhances the appearance of the city. Zagreb has an amazing inventory of old historic buildings with great architecture that with effort will definately make the place shine. This will all improve as Zagreb's popularity continues to rise as prime tourism destination.

SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #89
SinCity
Streetwalker

BTW Long Foot ..... Bravo! Excellent pics!

Are you still taking photo requests?
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #90
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Yeah, SinCity, that's what the main problem is with putting old facades in a good shape. They gotta find much more affordable way for all citizens to be able to put their buildings and facades into renovation, it is a must! For a city of the size like of Zagreb, it is a bullshit that a yearly budget of the city is almost a billion Euro, and the city can't put at least 50 million Euros on side for renovation? With 50 mil. euros they could renovate at least TWO HUNDRED buildings per year, if not more, but they rather spend (WASTE) it on some unpopular projects...arggghh I am really mad now. lol

Ehh, one more thing. What is likely to be seen in Zagreb, speaking of facades, i am sure LF can confirm it as well. The city has a habit of renovating the same buildings over and over within just a few year, while some buldings that havent been 'touched' in 15-20 years, the city just keeps ignoring them lol, this is totaly true, no kidding

Last edited by bubach_hlubach; April 19th, 2005 at 03:57 AM.
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #91
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Here is the shame of our city!

A building in Gajeva street. The building is in a perfect shape. No advanced work on the facade required, just gotta be painted...why it hasn't happened yet, hopefully we will find out soon :

Another building in Gajeva, but this a government bulding :

Gajeva street again. What city on earth would allow something like this? :

No comment :

Less than no comment :

Old April 19th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #92
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Nova tura slika

I apologize for not sorting out these pics :

Oktogon inside :

(soon to be continued... )

Old April 19th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #93
SinCity
Streetwalker

Ooooh LaLa! You guys keep em coming.

I find it highly stupid that they always focus on the same buildings over and over again. I noticed that certain prominent streets get special treatment while other streets dont get any attention.

There certainly needs to be a better yearly program on facade renovations. The more immaculate the city centre the more tourists it will attract. Like I mentioned before, Zagreb has a huge inventory of beautiful old buildings and its sad to see some in such a sorry state like a few of those shown above.

Part of the problem is these are rendered facades that wer never painted leaving them more open to the elements and later on decay. I say its time to focus on those buildings that have outstanding needs for rennovation. The main thing is as long as the building doesnt get demolited (no chance in Zagreb) then there is a good chance later on it will get its long awaited fix up.

Overall, Zagreb is a well maintained, neat and clean city. More attention is needed to upkeep of facades and some of that unsightly grafitti. Zagreb is certainly nothing like Belgrade which is beyond belief with the levels of decay across that city.

Old April 19th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #94
MIMICA

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity

I find it highly stupid that they always focus on the same buildings over and over again. I noticed that certain prominent streets get special treatment while other streets dont get any attention.

There certainly needs to be a better yearly program on facade renovations. The more immaculate the city centre the more tourists it will attract. Like I mentioned before, Zagreb has a huge inventory of beautiful old buildings and its sad to see some in such a sorry state like a few of those shown above.

Part of the problem is these are rendered facades that wer never painted leaving them more open to the elements and later on decay. I say its time to focus on those buildings that have outstanding needs for rennovation. The main thing is as long as the building doesnt get demolited (no chance in Zagreb) then there is a good chance later on it will get its long awaited fix up.

Overall, Zagreb is a well maintained, neat and clean city. More attention is needed to upkeep of facades and some of that unsightly grafitti. Zagreb is certainly nothing like Belgrade which is beyond belief with the levels of decay across that city.

My friend, I agree with your post 100%, but you must understand that the grafitti will NEVER go away. It's not that countries like BiH and Croatia haven't tried, it's just that the teenagers will NEVER learn. They apparently think that it is "cool" to write the name of some girl they like, or some football club team.
MIMICA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #95
SinCity
Streetwalker

I think one solution is to ban the sale of spay cans to anyone under the age of 18. It wont stop grafitti but it will slow down significantly its use. The problem with spray cans is their easy portability. If these little shits cant get a hold of it too easily then perhaps they will think of something else to amuse themselves with.

Old April 19th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #96
long foot
otišao i neće se vratiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubach_hlubach
Btw, hehe, dont you tell me you're poor, poor people cant afford to go to Godot, or maybe you even went to Glembay's, looked that way at least
And what's up with an empty ashtray on your table? Seems like i am only one smoking here :p
I have been smoking for a years and then I sudenly stoped for no reson. I am still asking myself why

BTW Godot is not expensive, you can get caffee with milk for 7 kunas, beer (Ožujsko) for 12 etc. When I was studying in Vukovarska I used to visit Godot every day, sitt on the terace, read newspaper and smoke
Old April 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM   #97
Koniaczeq

Likes (Received): 433

Your theater is quite similar to Slowacki Teather i Cracow.

Koniaczeq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #98
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

LF, that is awesome that you quit smoking just like that
btw, i still wonder what's going on with this little building in the middle of the photo in Zrinjevac, is its renovation finito?

Old April 19th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #99
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMICA
My friend, I agree with your post 100%, but you must understand that the grafitti will NEVER go away. It's not that countries like BiH and Croatia haven't tried, it's just that the teenagers will NEVER learn. They apparently think that it is "cool" to write the name of some girl they like, or some football club team.
I dont know about BiH, but i can tell you for sure that it ain't very common for other Croatian cities, at least not as bad.

Old April 19th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #100
bubach_hlubach
hlubach bubach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity

This is what i am talking about. Look at the building on the left side covered with the scaffolding. This is LF's photo taken a little while ago.
Also, take a look at the building on the right side - brown-gray facade)

And this is what i had taken last winter :

The building on the left and what it looked like before current renovation (which was last time renovated 4 years ago and still looks pretty much okay) :

Just sureal, isnt it, huh?

Last edited by bubach_hlubach; April 20th, 2005 at 06:03 AM.