daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #241
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
it's the best project they've ever done. period.
i think these 2 buildings are ugly and out of place.

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #242
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

funny, that's what they said about 860-880 lakeshore drive.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #243
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

I dont see anything particularly attractive about those 2 either. or am I supposed to automatically love them because they are mies?
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #244
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I actually like 600 Lakeshore. Nice, clean, elegant design. As for 860-880, can anyone explain (to a non-architect) why they are so revered? I get the basic history behind them, and can appreciate that. But leaving out the historical aspects, what's so special about these buildings? (i.e. I want to appreciate them, but perhaps I just don't get it...)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #245
Helmet Yawn

http://usa.archiseek.com/illinois/ch...partments.html
Old December 20th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #246
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
i think these 2 buildings are ugly and out of place.
"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder, but "Out of place"???

When you look at the lakefront skyline from Navy Pier to the LSD East curve I think these are just about perfect for the location and the neighboring buildings. The modern style is certainly appropriate and a nice homage to 860-880 and 900-910.

Besides, they draw the eye away from some of the banality (474 N LSD, the W Hotel, and others).

Too bad the market has tanked. I think the Peshtigo would be a nice addition at 500 N Lake Shore. It's the right height (55+ stories -- ??) and a design that I've come to appreciate -- modern enough to fit in. Hope it eventually gets built.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #247
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

eh ok, maybe im being a little harsh. these buildings arent so bad and the height is good for the area. they look nice in pictures but when I walk, drive, bike, run past it, I just really dont like em.
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #248
JoeZekas

A little while back YoChicago did a video interview with David Pappageorge and George Haymes on the subject of 600 LSD, with the project in the background. The weather was rough, which accounts for the choppy sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AxCWDMKSk
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #249
Helmet Yawn

i doubt they mentioned the guy who really designed the project. he left 3 years ago.
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #250
MWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder, but "Out of place"???

When you look at the lakefront skyline from Navy Pier to the LSD East curve I think these are just about perfect for the location and the neighboring buildings. The modern style is certainly appropriate and a nice homage to 860-880 and 900-910.

Besides, they draw the eye away from some of the banality (474 N LSD, the W Hotel, and others).
I live next store to the 600 buildings. Although I agree that they are an asset to skyline I also think that they overwhelm the nearby buildings (530 , 540 & "W" Hotel) and the space they were built upon. The south building is too large, should have been built farther back. The west side of garage is a giant neighborhood barricade cliff. The open space "sliver" between the buildings is inadequate for any meaningful views of the lake. In retrospect, I wish the developer had just built one building with underground parking.
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #251
Helmet Yawn

i actually like the way they step up in height from the W hotel and terminate that angled stretch of Lakeshore Drive upon which the site sits. the west wall is a zero lotline wall that in all likelyhood will see another building built up against it some day.

as far as lower level parking, digging below grade on a site this close to the lake is cost prohibitive. it would add an enormous financial burden on the project ultimately making it not feasible. the units in this building, although big, were not technically 'luxury' priced.

as far as what i found on the spacing of the towers, according to the PD documents on file with the city, the space between the 2 buildings is 60 feet. this is only 6 feet less than a standard city R.O.W.

i think an important thing this project did that others neglected to do was to try to create an open space at the ground level. the fact that a plaza on the east even exists, and isn't merely a standard government issue parking plinth with a tower sitting on top of it, should be applauded.

by chance, do you live in 401 e. ontario? if memory serves, at the time of conversion from apartment to condos, the residents of that building were told by the realty company that the 600 LSD property was a dog park and not a piece of private property.
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #252
MWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
by chance, do you live in 401 e. ontario? if memory serves, at the time of conversion from apartment to condos, the residents of that building were told by the realty company that the 600 LSD property was a dog park and not a piece of private property.
It was actually a pigeon park!
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #253
Helmet Yawn

i'm sure there's a "Friends of the Pigeon" lobbying group out there somewhere. =)
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #254
Helmet Yawn

mr./ms. i am hydrogen, could you take a pic of these with space between the towers from the filtration plant....you know....if you get the chance....? thanks.
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #255
MWR

I was recently walking around 600. Why has not the developer replaced the dead trees that front the building on the east side? Also, when will they finish the "green" landscape on the south and east side walls of the buildings?
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #256
Chiman

Don't know what the definition of complete is, but this must be close. There is just some detail work to clean up.

Too bad about the trees dying -- I suppose they will be replaced soon, but they have stone work to do on the front plaza, so that may be the hold-up.

No sign of vines on the east and south walls -- it actually doesn't look bad the way it is.

Here's a shot from the recently opend south tower common area looking over the north tower.

Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #257
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

man, what a killer view
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #258
ChicagoismynewBlog

600 N. Lakeshore Drive

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://chicagoismynewblog.wordpress.com
ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #259
Helmet Yawn

my favorite thing is that the shadow on the beach is being caused by the buildings to the north of 600 LSD.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #260
MWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR View Post
I was recently walking around 600. Why has not the developer replaced the dead trees that front the building on the east side? Also, when will they finish the "green" landscape on the south and east side walls of the buildings?
DEAD TREES are gone!