daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #101
hello345

Likes (Received): 70

how come the gray panels in between the windows are a lighter gray the the new ones? Will they be changing them later so that they will all match?
hello345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #102
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

The blue-grey metal panels on two out of every three floors are suppose to match the window frame and glass color. Every third floor will have a band of poured-in-place concrete that I'm assuming will be painted white. See the picture below to get the effect.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Chiman; May 28th, 2007 at 03:01 PM. Reason: change picture
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #103
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

i got to say that the more i see this project unfolding, the more i really think there's something unique in Chicago going on here.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:01 AM   #104
Chiman

Pardon the grainy shot, but this is going to be a nice addition to the LSD skyline. Just wait till the south tower gets up to 47 stories (six more than the TO'd north tower.)

image hosted on flickr
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #105
Helmet Yawn

Nice pic, Chiman.

I read an article in Crains awhile back that said the same architect did both buildings. Does anyone know who did these towers?

I honestly can't believe the same architects did 600 and 530 Lake Shore.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM   #106
Chiman

Architect is the ubiquitous Pappageorge/Haymes, Ltd. – you can check out a listing of their buildings on Emporis at

http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/cm/?id=...chicago-il-usa

(530 North Lake Shore Drive was probably not their finest hour.)
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #107
Helmet Yawn

530 Lake Shore has some merit. Some of the detailing isn't too bad. I guess some people like that sort of traditional aesthetic although I myself am not too crazy about it.

P/H really did a nice job with 600 Lake Shore though. It's got to be hard to design 2 modernist buildings in the shadow of Mies's 860-880 Lake Shore drive. It would've been easier to just do 530B and 530C and called it a day I suppose, but it looks like they made an effort on this one.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #108
Chiman

Look Ma, No Crane!

The tower crane is coming down from the north tower today -- June 2, 2007.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #109
MWR

530 N LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
Architect is the ubiquitous Pappageorge/Haymes, Ltd. – you can check out a listing of their buildings on Emporis at

http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/cm/?id=...chicago-il-usa

(530 North Lake Shore Drive was probably not their finest hour.)
Was not 530 N LSD originally supposed to be 40 stories?
MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #110
Helmet Yawn

Chiman, your pics are awesome!

I didn't live here yet, so I don't know the background, but a little height would have helped 530. It just seems a little too heavy. Maybe it's the paint scheme?

But these 600 towers "feel" great. Any word on whether or not they're going to paint them or leave them natural concrete?
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #111
Chiman

Based on the pics in the brochure, it looks like it will be painted some shade of white.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #112
Helmet Yawn

Thanks for the info, Chiman. I hope they don't paint it white and stays a warmer color that feels more like concrete.

How come no new pics today?
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #113
Chiman

Detail work is progressing on the "flip-top" that conceals the mechanicals and houses the clubhouse for the rooftop deck of the north tower.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #114
Helmet Yawn

Hey Chiman, it looks like only you and I get how cool this project is.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #115
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

June 12, 2007

I don't particularly care for these buildings. I don't like the Carolina blue color and the flat face. The rendering on page one made it appear that there was more depth to the front. It looked classier. Eventually these two will melt into the skyline and I won't think about them anymore.
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #116
Helmet Yawn

Nice pics. Did you use a filter on those??

I actually think the buildings pull off much better than the flat elevations. If you'll note, the front balconies are still not in and half the front facade is still covered in wood.

Also, the glass isn't blue. It's actually gray, but the UV coating reads like blue in sunlight. If you see it in an overcast sky, it looks really gray.

I think these 2 buildings are a really good example of clean, minimal modernism especially in light of their proximity to Mies' buildings on Lakeshore Dr....although I better be careful how I say that or that one guy on these boards will acuse me of using 'second year design' language again.

I do think it's funny that this project was the legendary "beach killer" I read so much about before moving here....I guess it is as there's nobody on that beach in these shots.

Last edited by Helmet Yawn; June 18th, 2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #117
Retrograde
Chicago

Yes, I used a polarizing filter. It helped deepen the blue sky and cut down on some of the glare.

I appreciate your response Helmet Yawn. I realize you could have easily flamed me because my opinion differs than yours. You bring up some good points and may I need to reserve judgment until the towers are finished. I've been known to change my mind over time. Some buildings grow on me.
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #118
Helmet Yawn

That's cool. After all, we're just here to exchange ideas!!

You know what I'm wondering, was Trump's building supposed to look as blue as it does? I seem to remember it being grayer in the original renderings....wasn't it?
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #119
Retrograde
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
I do think it's funny that this project was the legendary "beach killer" I read so much about before moving here....I guess it is as there's nobody on that beach in these shots.
Well these pictures were taken in the morning. I saw a girl playing with her dog and a guy that looked like he had slept on the beach over night. It was a really nice day and probably filled up later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
You know what I'm wondering, was Trump's building supposed to look as blue as it does? I seem to remember it being grayer in the original renderings....wasn't it?
Yes, some of the original renderings made it appear gray. The official Trump Tower rendering has a bluish quality. Although I've seen Trump Tower look blue, dark blue, silver, and even green when reflecting the river. As someone said previously, it's really "moody".
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #120
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I don't particularly care for these buildings. I don't like the Carolina blue color and the flat face. The rendering on page one made it appear that there was more depth to the front. It looked classier. Eventually these two will melt into the skyline and I won't think about them anymore.
By "classier" do you mean "classical?" These towers are dead sexy. A perfect example of the simplicity that's been lost in architecture. They are exactly what they need to be.