daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #121
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Yes, I used a polarizing filter. It helped deepen the blue sky and cut down on some of the glare.
Nice shots. Not to be too off-topic, but the filter looks like it's doing a great job. I picked one up myself (circular Hoya) a few days ago but haven't yet had the opportunity to use it.

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #122
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
By "classier" do you mean "classical?" These towers are dead sexy. A perfect example of the simplicity that's been lost in architecture. They are exactly what they need to be.
No, I meant classier - high class, stylish. My initial reaction was that these are boring powder blue boxes. As I posted previously, I'll try to keep an open mind and wait until they are done before completely dismissing them as a poor design. I occasionally change my mind.
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #123
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Nice shots. Not to be too off-topic, but the filter looks like it's doing a great job. I picked one up myself (circular Hoya) a few days ago but haven't yet had the opportunity to use it.
Great, I look forward to seeing your results.
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #124
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

I absolutely love the mid-century modern look of this development. It fits Lake Shore Drive beautifully (think Gold Coast in the 1960s) and it’s not like anything else being built.

Here’s some interesting history on the design. I don’t see this info earlier in this thread. Keep in mind that this is really old, but I think it’s nice to hear what the architect and the developer were thinking.

I found this info on the web and I’m not sure exactly how to credit the authors – I’ve included web addresses that you can follow back to the source documents. This originally came from YoChicago and New Homes Magazine.

#1— From New Homes Magazine – Barry Pearce - Create date7/21/05
Last modified 8/1/06

I like this because it quotes Demetri Stavrianos from Pappageorge/Haymes:

[QUOTE]
The result is the “fraternal twin” condominium highrises – a 40-story tower and a 46-story tower – at 600 N Lake Shore Dr.

“We moved this building a couple different times—even in the 11th hour—as a response to the neighborhood concerns, and we ended with something that everyone can be happy with,” said Demetri Stavrianos, an associate at architecture firm Pappageorge / Haymes. “If you’re doing your job right as an architect you’re concerned about the legacy you’re leaving with the neighborhood.”

The towers have been designed to optimize a location facing the lake on one side and Streeterville on the other.

“In a sense you have to respond both to the city and the lake,” Stavrianos said. “Whenever you look at these buildings they’ll always have that dynamic separation between the city architecture and the ‘lake effect.’”
The courtyard on the west, for example, reflects Streeterville in its poured, painted concrete, while the tower’s glass and steel were dictated by lake views.
“The lake effect pieces will be more streamlined, more modern,” he says. “It has a fluidity when you use glass and metal.” Source http://wibiti.com/HomePageView.aspx?...%bfUY%e2%80%9a
[END QUOTE]

#2 – New Homes Magazine by Barry Pearce 5/21/04
This one quotes Alan Lev from Belgravia

[QUOTE]
"We had a nice meeting with SOAR," Lev said. "They asked to tweak a few things, but they seemed to really like it. (Ald.) Natarus seems inclined to like it. He wants us to meet with neighborhood groups."
Lev acknowledges that the views of some nearby residents may be affected, but he says that having a new "jewel along the lake" will more than compensate. Lev says that "jewel" will nod to Mies van der Rohe's famous 860-880 N. Lake Shore Drive buildings, which are heavy on steel and glass and express their frames in exemplary Modernist fashion. The designs for 600 N. Lake Shore have not been finalized but will be heavy on glass and include sculpture gardens on both the ground level and above the parking garage.

Source:

http://**************/magazine/high-...ndo-towers_682

[END QUOTE]
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #125
smurf
Smurfy Smurf

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
June 12, 2007

On the webpage the garage podium portion b/t the two towers is green. Do they plan on painting it green or is it supposed to get covered up by ivy over time?
smurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #126
Chiman

Thought this was interesting -- if you take the color away it clears some of the construction clutter and gives a better view of the lines of the building.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #127
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I just think these two epitomize the beauty of modernism that has, for the most part, been completely lost anymore.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #128
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

They do look pretty strong considering they aren't even done yet!

I'm just glad someone didn't back away from the challenge of designing 2 modern residential buildings so close to 860-880 and 900-910 Lakeshore Drive....too bad they didn't call them 600-610 LSD.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #129
Chiman

re: Smurf's question about the greenery on the parking podium, it looks like some vining kind of plants. It's one weakness to the building in my view. Thats a lot of area to cover with ivy, not to mention the green roof/sculpture garden atop the parking structure. Plus someone should have noticed that this is Chicago -- what's it going to look like all winter long?

image hosted on flickr
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #130
Helmet Yawn

I heard about this through the grapevine....They're putting a stainless steel cable system to support vine growth on the concrete walls that's supposed to be pretty impressive with or without vines.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:04 AM   #131
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

If it's anything like what they did at the base of University Hall on UIC's campus it's utter uselessness. The system is complete rubbish and has yet to ever grow much of anything in the three years that it's been there.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM   #132
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Vines unlike skyscrapers cannot grow 10 feet per week. I'm more concerned about how these buildings will look in 20-30 years, than 9 months after topping out. You think the ivy at Wrigley just appeared in time for the Whales' first season?

Of course, UIC could be neglecting basic fertilization/watering, which would explain the lack of growth. The system is not necessarily at fault.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:52 PM   #133
Helmet Yawn

Just think of it, a green wall with that presence and exposure in a neighborhood of high rises...It's a great idea.

Lots of people talk about "greening" things in this city. It's become a catch marketing phrase instead of the sensitive ecological contribution it was intended to be.

Here's one development that's actually attempting to walk the walk, and to my knowledge, has never talked the talk about "being green". I for one greatly applaud the effort.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #134
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I would hardly consider tossing some ivy on a wall an effort to be "green."
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM   #135
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Perhaps not, but it still beats a blank concrete wall.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #136
Helmet Yawn

I read that the top of the garage is also a Green Roof and they're using low E glass on the entire exterior.

Let's have a little perspective. How many developers in any American city right now would even consider an 'ivy covered wall' with this visibility and size? It is a bold move and should be applauded.

I will reserve judgement until i see the final results because so far, every move on these buildings seems to have been thoughtfully considered.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:59 PM   #137
Chiman

I'm hoping for the best, but if the greenery on the vertical walls is a flop it will require a finacially painful fix from the condo association in 10 years.

Meanwhile, I was in the neighborhood yesterday and saw what looks like a test swatch of paint on the lower west side of the north tower. Looks like a near perfect match for the precast concrete that hides the back of the parking podium.

This should make Helmet happy, but I was hoping for something lighter to highlight the vetical lines and the every-third-story horizontal bands.

But maybe it's not what they'll choose for the final color.

Looks like rain today, but will take a snapshot when I get a chance.

Last edited by Chiman; June 23rd, 2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #138
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Perhaps they're testing out some sort of primer? The original renderings clearly show the tower finished in white - that would be a pretty big change to try and sneak in under the radar.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #139
Helmet Yawn

I for one hope it is the color and it isn't white.
However, leaving it natural concrete would've been ideal.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #140
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

What an iconic twosome.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote