daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #1
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Lost German wonders and UNESCO list

Following up on an interesting point raised by someone in the Frankfurt reconstruction thread, I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the following issue: Which of the great German historical cities lost during World War Two would have deserved a UNESCO World Heritage designation, had they not been destroyed?

I realize that it's a very speculative question, and that Germany already has a ton of cities and places on the UNESCO list (albeit, unlike Italy or France, it has no major cities designated as Heritage sites, as far as I know), but I think it's still something interesting to discuss.

I feel that Dresden would have been a "must" on the list, as the Baroque and Rococo capital of Central and Northern Europe; Frankfurt, with its almost untouched medieval core, might have been there too...Other ideas?
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Lübeck, Danzig (Pl.), Hirschberg (Pl.), Mannheim, Nürnberg, Würzburg, Braunschweig maybe also Kassel as its medial core was comparable to Frankfurt and was almost untouched too.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #3
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Interesting question there!

Agree with Tolbert's choices, though Lübeck is on the list actually. Not so sure about Mannheim. Hildesheim would be a candidate I guess, maybe even more of Kassel than just the Bergpark. Indeed both had enormous Fachwerk old towns. Augsburg would be another candidate. If all churches plus interiors of Magdeburg survived, they would form a common World Heritage.

Nürnberg and Frankfurt would definitely be on the list. After all, there's still some old towns left, that actually are UNESCO-worthy imho, such as Landshut, Passau, Lindau and Rothenburg-Dinkelsbühl (common entry) in Bavaria, parts of Erfurt and Görlitz (maybe common entry with Bautzen).

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #4
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Also Breslau (pl), more parts of Wurzburg, Hannover, and maybe Koblenz.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #5
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Maybe even Munich and Cologne (apart from the Dom, see the amazing Romanesque churches, largely reconstructed but without their interiors). Elbing/Elblag was pretty amazing, too. And Königsberg/Kaliningrad, though not sure if World Heritage worthy.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #6
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

How could we so far have forgotten Hamburg? For sure it's historic areas and harbor. Also Bremen.

I also think an argument could be made for Essen and Wupperthal.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #7
geocluj

Likes (Received): 12

Yes, definitively Dresden, Frankfurt and Nürnberg. Maybe Heidelberg ?
geocluj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Bavarian Angelshark
Modernism sucks

Likes (Received): 1434

i would say...

Braunschweig
Nürnberg
Frankfurt
Augsburg
Kassel
Hildesheim

Bavarian Angelshark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #9
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocluj View Post
...Maybe Heidelberg ?
Heidelberg wasn't destroyed in WWII.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #10
wakka12

Likes (Received): 302

How sad is it that we can barely decide on a list of entire CITIES that have been completely wiped off the map much less specific buildings/streets/areas...really shows the absolutely incomprehensible level of destruction of the war

keepthepast liked this post
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #11
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Interesting question there!

Agree with Tolbert's choices, though Lübeck is on the list actually. Not so sure about Mannheim. Hildesheim would be a candidate I guess, maybe even more of Kassel than just the Bergpark. Indeed both had enormous Fachwerk old towns. Augsburg would be another candidate. If all churches plus interiors of Magdeburg survived, they would form a common World Heritage.

Nürnberg and Frankfurt would definitely be on the list. After all, there's still some old towns left, that actually are UNESCO-worthy imho, such as Landshut, Passau, Lindau and Rothenburg-Dinkelsbühl (common entry) in Bavaria, parts of Erfurt and Görlitz (maybe common entry with Bautzen).
Yes, i also thought about Magdeburg, but i wasnt sure how intact its mediaval core had been. As long as i know, it had been reworked pretty much in 19th/20th, like Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne and Munich. (Colognes cathedrals would have been candidates though) So those larger Cities would hardly get a world heritage status. Görlitz, Bautzen, Bresslau, Königsberg even Heidelberg wouldnt get an entry too. They where pretty common cities in those days. Today, Görlitz, Bautzen and Heidelberg are special because they didn't face any destruction.

When you think about heritage status on cities, you have to think about they uniquenes before the war. Of course all cites where way more beautiful and historic bevor the destruction, but of them only the best would get an entry.

Concerning Mannheim, i was thinking of its uniqunes as the largest planned baroque city an the archetype for a lot of other planed cities. So more they layout is importand than its architecture.

keepthepast liked this post
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote