daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #181
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

again and again and again!

1) New York
2) Chicago
3) Toronto
4) San Francisco
5) Atlanta
6) Los Angeles
7) Seattle
8) Dallas
9) Philadelphia
10) Houston

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #182
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

I can't remember if I already did this, but here goes..

1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Toronto
4. Seattle
5. Calgary

Toronto Toronto Toronto.... if it wasn't for the CN Tower, it would fall a bit on anyones list.. (this despite the fact that TO is #2 in NA for scraper count)

But that shouldn't belittle what the CN Tower does for TO.. it's a legitimate element of the skyline. It's what distinguishes TO from any city in the world, really (think about it, no other tower comes close in terms of actually 'towering' over it's context). No one could mistake it for anything else.. it dominates, it adds character and balance, and that's why TO does so well in skyline polls/threads. It's aesthetics.

Chicago is utterly incredible though. NYC is amazing, but it's really overkill... it's not photogenic in the same way that Chicago is.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #183
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Overkill is what makes the skyline better! And certainly New York more deserves first place than Chicago!

The CN Tower does gives Toronto's skyline a character just like Sydney. I doubt Toronto's skyline will get that same kind of recognition if they didn't have this structure.

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #184
algonquin

^ like Sydney.. you don't mean Sydneys tower surely... I'll assume you mean the Harbour Bridge. In which case, yes, it has a similar effect. No one would confuse Sydney for another city.

Overkill certainly doesn't make a skyline better, or we'd all be singing the praises of Sao Paulo and Shanghai. It's more than quantity... thats a pretty basic premise when evaluating anything.
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:12 AM   #185
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin
^ like Sydney.. you don't mean Sydneys tower surely... I'll assume you mean the Harbour Bridge. In which case, yes, it has a similar effect. No one would confuse Sydney for another city.

Overkill certainly doesn't make a skyline better, or we'd all be singing the praises of Sao Paulo and Shanghai. It's more than quantity... thats a pretty basic premise when evaluating anything.
I meant the AMP Tower in Sydney

Well Sao Paulo is a different city compared to New York. Yes Sampa has a massive skyline but it lacks height and quality. New York on the other hand has density, height and quality and certainly has more scrapers than Chicago.

Like I said before, when you hear other cities that have massive skylines, they always refer it to New York than Chicago.

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #186
algonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I meant the AMP Tower in Sydney
The CN Tower and that bucket-on-a-stick don't go together in the same sentence.

Sydney gathers character from it's setting, and it's spectacular bridge, not it's tower. The tower does nothing for it; it's one of countless generic observation towers across the globe. Apart from it's aesthetic value, it isn't very tall either.

The CN Tower is the tallest buiding in the world. Apart from it's hieght, it is a graceful soaring structure. It takes Toronto to a completely different level in terms of skylines, and, considering proper placement, it would do the same for almost any other city in the world.

The two are not comparable.

As for 'hearing' about cities with massive skylines, quite a few people here consider Chicago as their favourite, and I would imagine a forum full of skyscraper nerds would be the source to hear such things.

peace
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #187
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The CN Tower and that bucket-on-a-stick don't go together in the same sentence.

Sydney gathers character from it's setting, and it's spectacular bridge, not it's tower. The tower does nothing for it; it's one of countless generic observation towers across the globe. Apart from it's aesthetic value, it isn't very tall either.

The CN Tower is the tallest buiding in the world. Apart from it's hieght, it is a graceful soaring structure. It takes Toronto to a completely different level in terms of skylines, and, considering proper placement, it would do the same for almost any other city in the world.

The two are not comparable.

As for 'hearing' about cities with massive skylines, quite a few people here consider Chicago as their favourite, and I would imagine a forum full of skyscraper nerds would be the source to hear such things.

peace
The CN is the tallest freestanding structure in the world. I don't consider it a building! But it does have a unique location in the city

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #188
bladex21

Likes (Received): 0

Ok here's my list

1. NYC-seeing pictures... but when you are in the middle of it and see towering skyscrapers just going off into the distance in every direction you turn, it's just... wow
2. Chicago-Tall, just tall. I just don't like its location. I'm a coastal guy (ocean)
3. SF-Best looking city in the whole U.S. in my opinion
4. TO- You really don't get to see the whole city unless you've seen it from the CN Tower... another wow
5. LA- I love how there are just high rises that come out of a sea of low-rises. Seriously, the average building height DT LA compared to its surrounding is just impressive. It's visible from like anywhere
bladex21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #189
algonquin

^ regardless of semantics, it is what it is
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #190
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Hey, Wanch, people respect your opinion when it comes to what you like but it seems that you have a hard time respecting the fact that some may actually like Chicago's over NYC. To me the only thing NYC has over Chicago is density. I think Chicago has better quality and beautiful height. The placement of the buildings in Chicago are great. Its very clean and sophisticated. I love how you can appreciate the total height (base to top) of its supertalls from a distance. There so much I prefer in Chicago over NYC that it would take awhile to type. Not a knock against NYC. I prefer Chicago.

So my ranking of top 3:
1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Seattle
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #191
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
I can't remember if I already did this, but here goes..

1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Toronto
4. Seattle
5. Calgary

Toronto Toronto Toronto.... if it wasn't for the CN Tower, it would fall a bit on anyones list.. (this despite the fact that TO is #2 in NA for scraper count)

But that shouldn't belittle what the CN Tower does for TO.. it's a legitimate element of the skyline. It's what distinguishes TO from any city in the world, really (think about it, no other tower comes close in terms of actually 'towering' over it's context). No one could mistake it for anything else.. it dominates, it adds character and balance, and that's why TO does so well in skyline polls/threads. It's aesthetics.

I would disagree. For me the CN Tower distracts from the skyline of Toronto. I kind of feel the same way about the Pearl Tower (am I right on the name?) in Shaghi. The CN Tower is much less tacky then the Pearl Tower in Shanghi to be sure though.

And Toronto number 2 in skyscraper count in NA? mmm..Not by a long shot. It has more 200ft and under buildings then any other then New York but once you get above the 100-200ft resedential apartments that are indistinguishable in photos spread across Toronto then it is FAR behind NYC and Chicago in terms of skyscrapers (300-400ft and above.)
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:39 AM   #192
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83
Hey, Wanch, people respect your opinion when it comes to what you like but it seems that you have a hard time respecting the fact that some may actually like Chicago's over NYC. To me the only thing NYC has over Chicago is density. I think Chicago has better quality and beautiful height. The placement of the buildings in Chicago are great. Its very clean and sophisticated. I love how you can appreciate the total height (base to top) of its supertalls from a distance. There so much I prefer in Chicago over NYC that it would take awhile to type. Not a knock against NYC. I prefer Chicago.

So my ranking of top 3:
1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Seattle
It's all good man! Anyway battle is still between New York and Chicago.

Old January 26th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #193
Goku

Likes (Received): 8

NYC
Chicago
Toronto
Rest
Goku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #194
algonquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
And Toronto number 2 in skyscraper count in NA? mmm..Not by a long shot. It has more 200ft and under buildings then any other then New York but once you get above the 100-200ft resedential apartments that are indistinguishable in photos spread across Toronto then it is FAR behind NYC and Chicago in terms of skyscrapers (300-400ft and above.)
Check Emporis.com, by traditional definition of a skyscraper being 12+ stories, Toronto is #2, ahead of Chicago and behind NYC. This is a popular and contreversial subject in NA forums, but it's still a fact. Please note that my referral to this was meant to detract from my statement.. TO's scraper count has an unfortunate muted effect on it's skyline, though it certainly adds to a huge dense CBD. (Also note, just because the Emporis yardstick starts at 12 stories doesn't mean TO is full of 12 storey buildings... we've had bad luck with the dim-witted Aussies on that one).

@ ChgoLvr83

I'm completely with you. I'll add the fact that Chicago has two of the most imposing and beautiful modern skyscrapers in the world, the Sears tower and my personal favourite, the John Hancock tower. Plus theres the AON as well.

It just goes to show the effect that modernist masterpieces can have. The WTC was a terrible architectural loss to NYC.
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #195
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

NY's skyline is still impressive even without the WTC!

Old January 26th, 2006, 06:35 AM   #196
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

While I don't like CN Tower I do think it works in TO. It helps give the skyline its identity, and I don't think it would work as well without it.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #197
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

How will Toronto rank if it didn't have the CN Tower?

Old January 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #198
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
How will Toronto rank if it didn't have the CN Tower?
It would probably drop under my top 10.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #199
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Check Emporis.com, by traditional definition of a skyscraper being 12+ stories, Toronto is #2, ahead of Chicago and behind NYC. This is a popular and contreversial subject in NA forums, but it's still a fact. Please note that my referral to this was meant to detract from my statement.. TO's scraper count has an unfortunate muted effect on it's skyline, though it certainly adds to a huge dense CBD. (Also note, just because the Emporis yardstick starts at 12 stories doesn't mean TO is full of 12 storey buildings... we've had bad luck with the dim-witted Aussies on that one)..

Well I think saying a 15 or 25 high rise as a skyscraper is pretty generous. It would be akin to if you took all the highrises (10-20flrs) in Brooklyn and Queens in New York (the thousands of them) and you claimed how great it made Mid-Town Manhatten look. Same thing with all the highrises in Edgewater and along the lake front in north and south Chicago. Hardly anybody takes them into account when looking at the CBD skyline.

For real scrapers (300-400ft or above) that will likely make up a CBD Toronto is pretty on par with similar size city's in NA like Houston and Philly. The only differance is Toronto has a thousand 10-30 floor highrises miles from downtown. That is great for urbanity and sprawl limitation but doesn't effect the skyline much.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #200
smartlake

Likes (Received): 0

Hmmm...

Well, at first I had doubts about Toronto, but i must admit that i am very impressed!!

My list is:
1. NYC (You are just kidding yourself if you think otherwise
2. Chicago
3a. Toronto
3b. Los Angeles (I think that it doesnt get enough credit. With the mountains in the background, it is just spectacular, but we aren't judging the scenery)
4. Seattle
5. San Fransicso
6. Calgary
7. Minneapolis
8. Vancouver (the mountains, again help)

I am a very big fan of mountains, especially in the background of a skyline, as you could probably tell by my list.
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote