daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2081
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Loved the Atlanta skyline. It looks ridiculous from the highway, driving in from the North. Midtown is on your left and then the whole skyline stretches down the highway, with BOA Tower next and Downtown in the distance. I think the downtown part is amazing. Unfortunately I don't have any pics from the highway angle, because it's epic.

While it's skyline is fairly fragmented, and Midtown is tall but strangely sparse, the whole thing is good enough to make Atlanta one of the front-runners for that 5th spot. It needs to work on its density more, but downtown is much denser and "city-like" than most people would give it credit for. The tallest buildings are all very high quality and offer a nice bit of variety.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2082
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Atlanta actually has 4 skylines, unfortunately. If they were all condensed into one compact skyline, It could make top 5 in NA easily.
I'm not so sure about that. Assuming New York, Chicago, and Toronto take the top 3 spots, Atlanta could be as low as 10th.

# 100m+ buildings
Mexico City 89
Miami 80
Panama City 74
Houston 73
San Francisco 70
Los Angeles, Atlanta 67

Courtesy of SSP

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 7th, 2013 at 11:11 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #2083
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Does that list take Buckhead into account?
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2084
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Does that list take Buckhead into account?
Perhaps someone familiar with Atlanta could answer that question. Here's the link: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2085
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Assuming New York, Chicago, and Toronto take the top 3 spots, Atlanta could be as low as 10th.

# 100m+ buildings
Mexico City 89
Miami 80
Panama City 74
Houston 73
San Francisco 70
Los Angeles, Atlanta 67

Courtesy of SSP
Ughh, after all the discussions on the last couple pages, you go back to one of the least telling statistics possible. For instance, Mexico City only has 9 out of those 89 buildings over 150 meters, and they are spread out across a huge area! Putting that in the 4th spot would be a major insult to so many other cities.

The only city listed where all the buildings are actually concentrated in one area is San Francisco (and maybe Panama City).

This is a much more fluid argument than amount of 100 meter buildings. For instance, none of those other cities have the gorgeous spired towers of Atlanta, and only Houston/LA can compete in overall height. Aesthetically, I think Atlanta has the best set of tall buildings at the top of its skyline.

I would also argue that Panama City lacks in quality (not completely) even though technically, in pure numbers, it's skyline is larger than Toronto http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

I feel like Miami is too bland and doesn't have great height at the top. Its best building (BOA) is basically hidden from most angles at this point, and the condo towers blocking it are far inferior.

Houston and LA also have some completely separate skylines where many of their 100 meter+ towers reside. (for example, uptown Houston and Century City LA)

When linking diagrams, you need to click on "diagram url" first and it creates a new link for you. http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=58040200

Of those on the first page, Sovereign (9th), Mansion on Peachtree (12th), and Terminus 100 (20th) are in Buckhead.

Here is part of the Buckhead skyline with Sovereign and Mansion

Last edited by DZH22; February 7th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2086
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Ughh, after all the discussions on the last couple pages, you go back to one of the least telling statistics possible. For instance, Mexico City only has 9 out of those 89 buildings over 150 meters, and they are spread out across a huge area! Putting that in the 4th spot would be a major insult to so many other cities.
Old habits die hard, I suppose but calling it 'one of the least telling statistics possible'? I could make the argument that after all the discussions on the last couple of pages, you're still discounting one in favour of the other. To a Mexico City resident putting Atlanta ahead of it could be perceived as a major insult.

Your argument goes both ways. 150m isn't a better measure than 100m, its simply a different measure. Which one you use depends on whether you prioritize scale or height.

If you'd rather I use 150m, I will. Using 150m, Atlanta still sits in 10th. (New York and Chicago are in 1st and 2nd).

#150m+ buildings
Panama City 38
Houston 32
Miami, Toronto 30
Los Angeles 25
San Francisco 21
Boston 18
Atlanta 17
Calgary 15
Mexico City 10

Last edited by isaidso; February 7th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2087
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I would also argue that Panama City lacks in quality (not completely) even though technically, in pure numbers, it's skyline is larger than Toronto http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
It is larger by that measure. That table reveals the following:

2nd New York 37,259 pts 897 buildings
6th Chicago 16,884 pts 351 buildings
15th Panama City 8481 pts 203 buildings
16th Toronto 8011 pts 273 buildings
23rd Miami 5028 pts 111 buildings
24th Houston 4997 pts 118 buildings
36th Los Angeles 3826 pts 88 buildings
39th Atlanta 3597 pts 90 buildings
41st San Francisco 3419 pts 102 buildings
43rd Mexico City 3209 pts 119 buildings

Using the table you linked, Atlanta only climbs 2 spots to 8th. Mexico City is within spitting distance of Atlanta so I'm not sure how putting Mexico City ahead of Atlanta can be construed as a major insult. It depends on what one values in a skyline. That obviously varies substantially from person to person.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2088
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Given the spate of recent tower construction in Mexico City, it's a safe bet that it will surpass Atlanta by any definition. Atlanta is currently in rental infill mode...

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2089
DZH22

Quote:
It is larger by that measure. That table reveals the following:

Using the table you linked, Atlanta only climbs 2 spots to 8th. Mexico City is within spitting distance of Atlanta so I'm not sure how putting Mexico City ahead of Atlanta can be construed as a major insult. It depends on what one values in a skyline. That obviously varies substantially from person to person.
Atlanta has one of the most dramatic skylines I have seen. It's like Toronto 10 years ago, except if you spread out the tall buildings a little more and gave them hats. Mexico City does not really have much of a skyline. It has construction going on to change that significantly, but not for another 1-2 years before we really see that change. Mexico City certainly delivers a better city-feel, but its skyline is very spread out (except Santa Fe area) so instead of distinct clusters it seems more like a few tallish buildings in isolation, except surrounded by low/mid-rises.

Atlanta really brings the fire-power at the top of its skyline. Here it is compared with Mexico City http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=58046049

Last edited by DZH22; February 9th, 2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2090
isaidso
the new republic

Taking scale, height, quality, layering, architecture, and overall impression together I rank them as follows:

01. New York
02. Chicago
03. Toronto
04. Los Angeles
05. San Francisco

06. Seattle
07. Houston
08. Panama City
09. Miami
10. Philadelphia

Last edited by isaidso; February 7th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2091
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Atlanta has one of the most dramatic skylines I have seen. It's like Toronto 10 years ago, except if you spread out the tall buildings a little more and gave them hats. Mexico City does not really have much of a skyline. It has construction going on to change that significantly, but not for another 1-2 years before we really see that change. Mexico City certainly delivers a better city-feel, but it's skyline is very spread out (except Santa Fe area) so instead of distinct clusters it seems more like a few tallish buildings in isolation, except surrounded by low/mid-rises.

Atlanta really brings the fire-power at the top of its skyline. Here it is compared with Mexico City http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=58046049
I agree with you about Mexico City's skyline. They have lots of buildings, but they are scattered all over the place. Atlanta's skyline doesn't appeal to me for the same reason. It just doesn't make much of an impression and its core doesn't look dense at all.

Old February 7th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2092
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Given the spate of recent tower construction in Mexico City, it's a safe bet that it will surpass Atlanta by any definition. Atlanta is currently in rental infill mode...
Agree, it could climb to 4th or 5th best in north America over the next 10-15 years. I currently have MC outside my top 10.

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #2093
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Los Angeles may climb a notch higher with this latest supertall:

The 330 m 1,100 ft Wilshire Grand

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2094
isaidso
the new republic

That's a great looking building.

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #2095
DZH22

Quote:
It just doesn't make much of an impression and its core doesn't look dense at all.
The downtown is dense. What's weird about the main skyline is it's actually a combination of downtown and midtown. Midtown is too spaced out for sure, but the whole skyline looks ridiculous if you are closer to midtown with downtown lurking behind it. If you ever have the chance to drive past it on the highway I think you will change your mind about it. That's what happened for me.

Start watching this video (in HD, full screen) around the 2 minute mark to see what I mean. It's incredible. I must have driven by it 10 times because it was just that good. You can also see Buckhead earlier in the video. Note that it's 3 years old so there has been some (not much) filler since then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJs3jxBXwQg

Old February 8th, 2013, 02:19 AM   #2096
isaidso
the new republic

I dunno, that just seems way to spread out to me. It feels like you're about to enter a big city, but it just never happens.

Last edited by isaidso; February 8th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2097
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

I love the Midtown Atlanta skyline best although most new towers will probably go into Buckhead. Downtown's reign ended after 1990.

image hosted on flickr

Clearing morning - Midtown by LandsEndPhotography, on Flickr

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #2098
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Dallas

image hosted on flickr

Dallas, TX by Justin Terveen, on Flickr

Old February 8th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2099
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

friday night lights | san francisco by elmofoto, on Flickr

Yellow Fever liked this post
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2100
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Sick shot. All this pic needs is Batman standing on a skyscraper...

Yellow Fever liked this post
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote