daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2141
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

Orange October - Tribute to the San Francisco Giants by designcurve, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Grizzly Peak by designcurve, on Flickr

yukatan_boy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2142
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Wow @ that LA picture ... true megacity.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2143
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

NYC

image hosted on flickr

brooklyn bridge refelctions by Jason Pierce Photography, on Flickr
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #2144
Kaufmann

Likes (Received): 5779

Chicago by Kaufmann

Kaufmann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:02 AM   #2145
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55336

LA

image hosted on flickr

LA 06 by Murray Dalzell, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

LA 04 by Murray Dalzell, on Flickr

HK999 liked this post

Last edited by Yellow Fever; March 3rd, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2146
koolio

I never understood why people say that LA looks smaller than its population. In pictures like the ones posted above, you can clearly see that LA is MASSIVE. Aside from Mexico City and NYC, there is no city in North America that is as dense and as continuously built up as Los Angeles.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 06:52 AM   #2147
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10220

Because LA lacks the centralized core that is seen in NYC and Chicago. Definitely massive though. Over 100 miles of continuous development from west to east.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #2148
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Love those L.A. shots. I think it's time to visit America's 2nd megacity.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2149
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I never understood why people say that LA looks smaller than its population. In pictures like the ones posted above, you can clearly see that LA is MASSIVE. Aside from Mexico City and NYC, there is no city in North America that is as dense and as continuously built up as Los Angeles.
Not many tall buildings. It has under twenty-five 500 footers, compared to Chicago which has over a hundred and ten but is a much smaller city. LA also has less than Houston, Toronto and Sydney and they're also smaller..

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2150
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Not many tall buildings. It has under twenty-five 500 footers, compared to Chicago which has over a hundred and ten but is a much smaller city. LA also has less than Houston, Toronto and Sydney and they're also smaller..
As the 2nd largest city in the United States people expect a better skyline, but I do think people penalize it far too much based on that one disappointment. If one takes population out of the equation (as one should) and bases one's opinion only on what one sees it's quite good. I'd put it 4th or 5th best US skyline.

That said, the only mega city in America with a knock out skyline is New York. The other 5: Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, and Los Angeles all fall short of what one would expect.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 4th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2151
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

LA might not even have a skyline were it not for the repeal of building code height limitations in 1962 and the insistance of a single developer, Robert Maguire who championed Downtown skyscrapers from the 1970s on. Trouble is, that fleet of office towers is both high quality construction and physically huge, with millions of square feet of office space. And with so many burgeoning submarkets, Downtown LA isn't even the city's premier office location. So until there's enough demand for expensive high-end condos in DTLA, the odds of that skyline growing much rests on shorter rental towers and hotels. Meanwhile, the rest of the city is building higher...even if 'higher' only means going from 1-3 stories to 5-20 stories.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2152
isaidso
the new republic

Los Angeles can't sprawl forever. The Inland Empire might be the last major push outward. It's the natural progression of major cities in north America to eventually densify. Zoning and regulations specific to particular jurisdictions have meant that cities are at different points on that trajectory.

It may come as a surprise to some, but Toronto only reached that tipping point a little while ago with the passing of the 'Green Belt', and policies that favour intensification, transit, density, interest in downtown living, and support for nodes. Like Los Angeles, Toronto has established nodes like Misssisauga City Centre, North York City Centre, Scarborough Town Centre, and smaller ones elsewhere.

The skyscraper boom in Toronto is merely a reflection of a quickly growing city, but also this sea change from continual geographic expansion to locating most growth on already built on land. Downtown has been the chief beneficiary, but the other nodes are also seeing significant skyscraper construction.

Los Angeles will eventually see the same thing, but it might take many years before it materializes.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2153
koolio

I like that Los Angeles is much more multi-nodal compared to most other metros. I don't think we can compare that to Toronto. Mississauga is growing into a city of its own but it is still very suburban in form. Moreover, you'll notice that whenever the higher up governments consider funding a cultural or entertainment project, their first preference is always the downtown node. I don't think it is the same case in LA. All the cultural, educational and entertainment institutions seem to be spread out evenly across Los Angeles. However, what they failed to do there is to supplement their multinodal city with a comprehensive metro system. They needed a system similar in scale to fellow megacities like NYC and London.
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #2154
Lordloya

Likes (Received): 2082

Mexico City.

image hosted on flickr

Mexico City por hugovilchis, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Santa Fe, Ciudad de México. por Mato.-, en Flickr

"Lugar entre lagunas y el cielo"

yukatan_boy liked this post
Lordloya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #2155
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I like that Los Angeles is much more multi-nodal compared to most other metros. I don't think we can compare that to Toronto. Mississauga is growing into a city of its own but it is still very suburban in form. Moreover, you'll notice that whenever the higher up governments consider funding a cultural or entertainment project, their first preference is always the downtown node. I don't think it is the same case in LA. All the cultural, educational and entertainment institutions seem to be spread out evenly across Los Angeles.
I'd argue that the nodal comparison is valid. Los Angeles does spread its assets throughout its metro, but that is beginning to happen in Toronto as the nodes move beyond their traditional role as major suburban intersections. Toronto is still far too core focused, but there are interesting things happening in Vaughan, Markham, Mississauga, Scarborough, and North York.

There are multi-billion dollar plans for all of them while Markham is going a step further and building a 20,000 seat arena. Mississauga has the Hershey Centre while Vaughan has Wonderland. None of these nodes are starting from zero. It's not much of a stretch to see them add other cultural assets, an expansion of post secondary institutions, galleries, museums, etc.

Even 'smaller' nodes like St.Clair/Yonge and Eglinton/Yonge are heading that way. We're already seeing people in these places limiting their trips to downtown Toronto and opting for their local node as these nodes become larger, more interesting, and more well rounded. It will take another 20 years for them to start gelling, but they're off to a good start.

Side note: the Aga Khan cultural centre didn't go downtown and I think we'll start seeing more of that going forward.

Last edited by isaidso; March 4th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2156
koolio

Yes, it is definitely good to see that we are seeing more nodes forming in the GTA. Considering that commuting times are certainly not going to be decreasing anytime soon, if ever, this is indeed a good development.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2157
isaidso
the new republic

Agree. On a purely psychological level, having lots of nodes scattered about a metropolitan area also has the added benefit of making your city feel larger and more developed.

A common complaint about north American cities is how they transition from dense clusters of skyscrapers to an expanse of 2 floor buildings abruptly and literally 5-10 blocks from the CBD. Having nodes means that you don't end up in some farmer's field as you move out from the core, but it actually gets denser again as you reach the next node.

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2158
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55336

Atlanta

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta on February 27, 2012 - for masha by mudpig, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Atlanta on February 12, 2013 by mudpig, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote