daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2221
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8763

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
All Americans, or just those from the US? I'll answer anyway: Frankfurt, London, Moscow, Paris, Rotterdam in that order.
Thank you for the honest answer. I'm glad that you have Frankfurt chosen on place one.
I also mean the Canadians and Mexicans.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2222
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Thank you for the honest answer. I'm glad that you have Frankfurt chosen on place one.
I also mean the Canadians and Mexicans.
Frankfurt is my choice too! I always thought that Canadians, Mexicans, and U.S. citizens were all North Americans. Okay, so that's what you meant.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

KlausDiggy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2223
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I really like these two a lot. They really show how incredibly massive the New York skyline is. Chicago was my pick for Best North American skyline. Now, I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2224
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

CHICAGO

image hosted on flickr

Chicago Skyline by AndrewH324, on Flickr
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2225
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Nice find.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2226
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Frankfurt is my choice too! I always thought that Canadians, Mexicans, and U.S. citizens were all North Americans. Okay, so that's what you meant.
And central Americans, Caribbeans, and Greenlanders.

Quote:
I really like these two a lot. They really show how incredibly massive the New York skyline is. Chicago was my pick for Best North American skyline. Now, I'm not so sure.
Sometimes people lose sight of how much bigger Manhattan is than anything else on the continent. Exciting times for Miami, btw.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 29th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2227
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausDiggy View Post
Frankfurt may not be the biggest, but its elegant, sophisticated, and orderly. Stick to classic designs and you can't go wrong.

KlausDiggy liked this post
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2228
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
And it's growing steadily ... expecting at least 15 supertalls to be completed by decade's end. Throw in a dozen of 200m+ skyscrapers and you got your massive skyline.

Another epic shot:

Lucky Snap

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2229
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Sometimes people lose sight of how much bigger Manhattan is than anything else on the continent.
Yes! Over twice as many as Chicago, the next largest skyline in the U.S. The photos Hunser posted really put it all into perspective.

Quote:
Exciting times for Miami, btw.
I thought that maybe Miami could challenge Toronto in this decade, but not with the boom you've got going there now. We'll just have to settle for putting a lock on the third largest skyline in the U.S. in this decade.

You will challenge Panama City and give Chicago a run for its money while Miami increases in stature. New York has over 200 buildings over 500 feet tall or 150 meters. Chicago has just over 100. I'm projecting that Miami will have over 50 buildings over 500 feet tall or 150 meters by the end of this decade.

Isaidso, you haven't seen these before because they were just taken last Sunday with my new Nkon D5200 with 24.1 MP.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0095 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0096 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM   #2230
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

NYC, by far the best skyline on earth.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:48 AM   #2231
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I thought that maybe Miami could challenge Toronto in this decade, but not with the boom you've got going there now. We'll just have to settle for putting a lock on the third largest skyline in the U.S. in this decade.

You will challenge Panama City and give Chicago a run for its money while Miami increases in stature. New York has over 200 buildings over 500 feet tall or 150 meters. Chicago has just over 100. I'm projecting that Miami will have over 50 buildings over 500 feet tall or 150 meters by the end of this decade.

Isaidso, you haven't seen these before because they were just taken last Sunday with my new Nkon D5200 with 24.1 MP.
No city booms forever. Perhaps when Toronto starts slowing down Miami can close the gap. No lead is insurmountable. I thought it far fetched to see Toronto catch Chicago, but that looks like a 'when' rather than an 'if' at this point.

Panama City was one of the big surprises for me on SSC. It's Achilles' heel is the quality of its buildings. Things are getting much better, but it still lacks spectacular office buildings like Aon or Scotia Plaza.

Nice Miami photos.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2232
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I really dig the skylines of Miami and Toronto. Both cities have great density and a highrise / skyscraper boom ongoing. All Toronto needs is some supertalls (and preferably a 400m+ tower) to overtake Chicago.

Regarding massiveness and density, NYC is in a league of its own:

sirmortimer

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Simofoto2012

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2233
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
All Toronto needs is some supertalls (and preferably a 400m+ tower) to overtake Chicago.
I'd be shocked if Toronto didn't have 3-4 super talls by the end of the decade, but the city really needs a 400m+ tower to legitimately pull ahead. Then again, the CN Tower does count for something despite not being a proper building.

Quote:
Regarding massiveness and density, NYC is in a league of its own:
Agree. Hong Kong and Shanghai don't even give me that feeling of massiveness that Manhattan does. It's still unique in the world, imo.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2234
isaidso
the new republic

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Locomotion by Freaktography (RockandrollFreak), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kw-2501...n/photostream/

http://mildlyreactive.tumblr.com/page/2

image hosted on flickr

On a Clear Day by Ian Kolsteren at Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; May 2nd, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #2235
isaidso
the new republic

I don't think Calgary is top 10, but it's quickly heading in that direction. It's bizarre how you can still see traces of it being a frontier town right next to a modern north American office cluster. Then again, it was largely open prairie just 100 years ago.

image hosted on flickr

hunser liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2236
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Next to Toronto, Chicago seems to be almost standing still these days. I'm with you Isaidso regarding Panama City though. Overall, the architecture just doesn't impress me. A lot of people feel that way about Miami, but give it time. We are far from done down here, and by the end of this decade, the U.S. will have three very big skylines. Miami is not as far behind Chicago as Chicago is behind New York.

Sometimes, I like the Chicago skyline better than New York's because I have always liked the way the Chicago skyline is configured better than New York's in spite of its massiveness, but I love these angles of Manhattan where Midtown and Lower Manhattan seem to be right next to each other, and it looks far more massive than Shanghai and Hong Kong because of the concentration on Manhattan Island.

Isaidso, thanks for the compliment on the pictures, but I'm not sure how I like the new Nikon D5200. It doesn't seem to have the sensor that should go with a 24.1-megapixel camera. I had to get off a lot of shots from the Rickenbacker Causeway with so much traffic going by just to get a couple of clean shots, and it seems the slightest bit of wind will ruin a good night shot with this camera even with a timer and a tripod. In situations such as this, I always set the camera to take multiple shots on the tripod to get a couple of clean ones in between the traffic.

This one I took from underneath the bridge at its base, so no traffic shaking the tripod.

image hosted on flickr

CSC_0155 by QuantumX, on Flickr

Skyscrapers will completely block this view below in the next few years. They are already under construction.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0150 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; May 3rd, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM   #2237
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
I don't think Calgary is top 10, but it's quickly heading in that direction.
I think I already have Calgary in my NA Top 10
Regarding the CN Tower: I think it is one of the major factors in order to make the TO skyline appear unimpressive as you can't tell its height just by looking at it, also if other buildings are visible as well. In fact it dwarfes the rest of the skyline to some extent and I think it needs to be outbalanced by some supertalls spread wisely over the whole skyline ASAP.
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2238
isaidso
the new republic

I agree that the dwarfing effect of the CN Tower works against the skyline in some regards. It doesn't help that the main CBD cluster is a good 1km inland either. The bank towers look much smaller than they actually are. I couldn't imagine Toronto without the CN Tower, but the skyline has been trying to grow up to it for the past 38 years.

I agree 100% with your comment that Toronto needs a few well placed super talls to counter balance the CN Tower. 1 Yonge might do the trick to the east, but we need a super tall in Yorkville and another half way between Yorkville and the CBD. Looks like we'll have to wait a good 10 years to realize all of that.

Calgary? I think once Herald Square (new tallest) goes up I may have to put in the top 10. There's also talk of a talk of another proposal that would bump Herald to #2. Good times for Cowtropolis!

Last edited by isaidso; May 3rd, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:13 AM   #2239
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Next to Toronto, Chicago seems to be almost standing still these days. I'm with you Isaidso regarding Panama City though. Overall, the architecture just doesn't impress me. A lot of people feel that way about Miami, but give it time. We are far from done down here, and by the end of this decade, the U.S. will have three very big skylines. Miami is not as far behind Chicago as Chicago is behind New York.

Sometimes, I like the Chicago skyline better than New York's because I have always liked the way the Chicago skyline is configured better than New York's in spite of its massiveness, but I love these angles of Manhattan where Midtown and Lower Manhattan seem to be right next to each other, and it looks far more massive than Shanghai and Hong Kong because of the concentration on Manhattan Island.

Isaidso, thanks for the compliment on the pictures, but I'm not sure how I like the new Nikon D5200. It doesn't seem to have the sensor that should go with a 24.1-megapixel camera. I had to get off a lot of shots from the Rickenbacker Causeway with so much traffic going by just to get a couple of clean shots, and it seems the slightest bit of wind will ruin a good night shot with this camera even with a timer and a tripod. In situations such as this, I always set the camera to take multiple shots on the tripod to get a couple of clean ones in between the traffic.
Manhattan is just in its own league. The building data suggests it's 3-4 times the size of Toronto, but it looks about 5-6 times bigger in photos. Having midtown and downtown separated by an area with much shorter buildings tricks the eye into taking in the whole thing together. In most cities, highrise gives way to low/mid rise, then suburbia. Any way you cut it, Manhattan is impressive.

Chicago is definitely the most well balanced big skyline out there. It's almost perfect and looks fabulous from almost any angle. Toronto looks fabulous from some angles, then strangely under-whelming from others. Balance/layout has always been my #1 beef with the Toronto skyline; its something that will get better as it fills out, but presently it can look very awkward.

I agree with you that Chicago looks like it's almost standing still when you compare it to other cities. Maybe Miami should put their bull's eye on them instead of Toronto?

Btw, I don't know much about cameras/photography, but appreciate what you posted.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #2240
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Miami is not as far behind Chicago as Chicago is behind New York.
Maybe not as far behind in raw numbers, but proportionally, New York's skyline is about 2.5 times the size of Chicago's, which is about 3 times the size of Miami's.

If we are only talking raw numbers, some other cities closer to Chicago than Chicago is to New York include: Phoenix, San Jose, Knoxville, Tallahassee, Syracuse, Annapolis, Washington DC, any other city (or town) in the Americas...

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote