daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM   #2241
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10220

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Shots of Lower Manhattan from NJ are very underrated. You can easily see the WTC from the Meadowlands.

I guess the reason why we don't see more shots from this angle is because of the ugly industrial landscape in the middle of swamps.

But it shows the overall urban immensity of the NYC area.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2242
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Maybe not as far behind in raw numbers, but proportionally, New York's skyline is about 2.5 times the size of Chicago's, which is about 3 times the size of Miami's.

If we are only talking raw numbers, some other cities closer to Chicago than Chicago is to New York include: Phoenix, San Jose, Knoxville, Tallahassee, Syracuse, Annapolis, Washington DC, any other city (or town) in the Americas...
Never mind what I posted here. I'll just leave the links as references for people to look at if they want. See my second paragraph below in the post that follows.

Skyline Rankings of the United States

Cities with the Most Skyscrapers Worldwide (Emporis)

THE WORLD'S BEST SKYLINES

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; May 3rd, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2243
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Maybe not as far behind in raw numbers, but proportionally, New York's skyline is about 2.5 times the size of Chicago's, which is about 3 times the size of Miami's.
I like to use the 500 feet and above marker or 150 meters (492 feet). The Wikipedia link I posted and the Emporis link show New York to have roughly twice as many skyscrapers in this height range than Chicago ~ 100. Maybe it is 2.5 times the size of Chicago going down to 100 meters, and yes, the Chicago skyline is abut 3 times the size of Miami.

Quote:
If we are only talking raw numbers, some other cities closer to Chicago than Chicago is to New York include: Phoenix, San Jose, Knoxville, Tallahassee, Syracuse, Annapolis, Washington DC, any other city (or town) in the Americas...
Okay, I get what you are saying. Any building that has a skyscraper, however you define it, is not as far behind Chicago as Chicago is behind New York. That is just how far ahead of Chicago New York is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Manhattan is just in its own league. The building data suggests it's 3-4 times the size of Toronto, but it looks about 5-6 times bigger in photos. Having midtown and downtown separated by an area with much shorter buildings tricks the eye into taking in the whole thing together. In most cities, highrise gives way to low/mid rise, then suburbia.

Chicago is definitely the most well balanced big skyline out there. It's almost perfect and looks fabulous from almost any angle.
This is what makes me and a lot of people like the Chicago skyline better than New York's in that respect.

Quote:
Toronto looks fabulous from some angles, then strangely under-whelming from others. Balance/layout has always been my #1 beef with the Toronto skyline; its something that will get better as it fills out, but presently it can look very awkward.

I agree with you that Chicago looks like it's almost standing still when you compare it to other cities. Maybe Miami should put their bull's eye on them instead of Toronto?
Nah, both Toronto and Chicago are older, better established cities and deserve the stature they've attained over the years. Miami will be whatever it be. I'm already seeing a skyline I never imagined I'd see when I first moved here nearly 30 years ago.

Quote:
Btw, I don't know much about cameras/photography, but appreciate what you posted.
I really don't know much about cameras/photography either. It's just that as an artist, I have my own idea of how I want to make things look, and then, I find a way to do it. I learn as I go along. Never took a formal course in photography, just a crash course in the standards of good photgraphy from the pros on ************.com so that I could get approved by that website.

This one below, I took just last night with the Nikon D5200. Many of us consider the view from the Rickenbacker Causeway (south of the city) to be the city's best angle. From the MacArthur Causeway (just north of the CBD), it all just jumbles together, and you can't see the forest for the trees. To me, that angle of the city is underwhelming just as you find some angles of Toronoto underwhelming, but a lot of people like that angle of the city. The mid and low rises in the middle of the New York skyline make it look incongruent from some angles to me. It's a matter of aesthetics I think for people who like the Chicago skyline better just as you outlined, and New York's pure concentrated massiveness is why a lot of people consider it the best skyline in the world with Hong Kong's and Shanghai's being scattered all over the place.

image hosted on flickr

CSC_0265 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; May 5th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2244
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

With the new WTC the Lower Manhattan skyline will restore its balance once again. Same with Midtown, where new supertall residential towers (~1000', 1005', 1050', 1400', 1600') are breaking the plateau of 700 - 900 footers. And of course we have the Hudson Yards - a city within a city (tallest tower: North Tower - 1337').

beanhead4529

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2245
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Decades ago, before personal computers, my main reference for skyscrapers and high-rise construction was the World Almanac and Book of Facts. They have a section where they list all the North American skylines and all their tall buildings. Most cities have just a hand full of buildings listed. Back then, they started at 300 feet and up, except for New York and Chicago. For Chicago, they started at 400 feet and up, but for New York alone, they would list nothing less than 500 feet tall, and New York was practically a solid page. I was amazed! I recall counting 96 buildings back then. Of course now, it's over 200, but that's when for me, over 500 feet tall became the New York standard for a tall building.

That's why I hate having so many condos in the 400-500 feet height range going up here Miami. By New York standards, these are not tall buildings.

My photo threads:

L.A.F.2., ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #2246
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

I remember the World Almanac & Book of Facts. I used to read it back to back.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2247
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I remember the World Almanac & Book of Facts. I used to read it back to back.
I used to buy the World Almanac and Book of Facts every year, but lately, the listings for tall buildings in North American cities have been really messed up, just like all the other skyscraper data bases it seems these day. Maybe they just don't have the staff to keep up with it all. When they clean it up a bit, I'll start buying it again.

But it truly is amazing as big as Chicago's skyline is how far ahead of it New York's is. With what's happening in New York now, it looks like they really got pissed over Hong Kong.

My photo threads:

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #2248
isaidso
the new republic

New York is certainly doing what's necessary to stay at the top. Maybe you should contact the WA&BF to point out their deficiency, then volunteer to fix it for them. For a fee of course.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2249
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

I remember having a book of facts which I think was the '96 edition. I recall the 500ft list having NYC with 134, Chicago with 53, and HK with 36. Yes, HK was 3rd in the world behind Chicago. Honk Kong's ascendancy is truly remarkable.

In terms of the rest of NA, they had Houston, LA, SF, Dallas, Boston, and then Toronto which I believe was tied with Atlanta. I think Philadelphia was at the bottom of the top 10.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #2250
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I remember having a book of facts which I think was the '96 edition. I recall the 500ft list having NYC with 134, Chicago with 53, and HK with 36. Yes, HK was 3rd in the world behind Chicago. Honk Kong's ascendancy is truly remarkable.

In terms of the rest of NA, they had Houston, LA, SF, Dallas, Boston, and then Toronto which I believe was tied with Atlanta. I think Philadelphia was at the bottom of the top 10.
I remember that listing. New York, Chicago, and Hong Kong were the big three in that order. How things have changed. On the North American continent, the rise of Toronto and Miami have been truly remarkable, and they are both still on the way up.

Quote:
New York is certainly doing what's necessary to stay at the top. Maybe you should contact the WA&BF to point out their deficiency, then volunteer to fix it for them. For a fee of course.
I've actually tried that, but they just ignore me.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; May 5th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #2251
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I remember that listing. New York, Chicago, and Hong Kong were the big three in that order. How things have changed. On the North American continent, the rise of Toronto and Miami have been truly remarkable, and they are both still on the way up.
I remember that list too. Regarding Toronto and Miami, better late than never. The next big skyline to emerge out of Canada over the next 30 years will likely be Calgary. They've been booming for a good 60 years with just a few hiccups here and there. I can see Calgary being top 5 one day.

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #2252
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I remember that list too. Regarding Toronto and Miami, better late than never. The next big skyline to emerge out of Canada over the next 30 years will likely be Calgary. They've been booming for a good 60 years with just a few hiccups here and there. I can see Calgary being top 5 one day.
I already like the Calgary skyline a lot better than Vancouver's. Here is a much better photo of the Miami skyline than any of mine. This was taken with a Nikon D800, at 36.1 MP camera with a great sensor. This is a 3,000 dollar camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maugbiker/8658983333/
image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2253
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55336

Chicago

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vexxed8...n/photostream/
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2254
isaidso
the new republic

image hosted on flickr

Metropolis by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Sarcasticity, JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2255
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Wow ... so the taller ICE will eventually end up looking taller than FCP from the islands? That means One Yonge will appear absolutely gargantuan.

Sarcasticity liked this post
koolio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #2256
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
That means One Yonge will appear absolutely gargantuan.
Even if the tallest comes in a few inches shorter than FCP, it will likely look as tall as the CN Tower's pod because it's closer to the lake. If one considers that the Toronto Star building is 100m (with the blue lettering on the right of the photo), the One Yonge proposal would look almost 3 times that height since its would go right behind it.

I'm still hoping we'll get a 350m+ building here. It would be a wonderful counter balance to the CN Tower and go a long way to better integrating it into the skyline. 370m would be perfect, but our notoriously stingy ceiling heights will dash any hopes of that.

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old May 7th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2257
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

How many buildings does Toronto currently have over 500 feet tall?

My photo threads:

Old May 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2258
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
How many buildings does Toronto currently have over 500 feet tall?
According to the Council, about 30 towers over 500 feet - including completed and topped out ones.
But maybe isaidso has a more reliable list.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #2259
isaidso
the new republic

That seems to be roughly right. From what I could find for 500ft+ buildings:

TORONTO
Built: 28
U/C: 21
Proposed: 53

So as you can see, the # of 500ft+ buildings could triple to roughly 100 in the next 3-4 years. I suspect Toronto will only get to about 90 though. The Oxford proposal might not be able to proceed because of autocratic groups/religious lobby's opposition to gambling (3 buildings over 500ft), Mirvish-Gehry is proposed for a sensitive site in the Entertainment District (3 buildings over 500ft), while a few others might face serious opposition from certain well organized interest groups.

Last edited by isaidso; May 8th, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2260
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

You might make it into the top 10 skylines in the world. Miami will probably make it to over fifty skyscrapers over 500 feet by the end of this decade and I'll be happy with that. We might even make it back into the teens, but I doubt it. Believe it or not though, some people (very few) prefer the Miami skyline over others because it is one of the most modern when you consider nothing over 500 feet tall was built before 1980, just the opposite of your taste. Here are a couple I took just last night.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0338 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0319 by QuantumX, on Flickr

My photo threads: